Dying battery caused stereo gremlins

I’ve been annoyed with my entertainment system for about six months. I put my music on a usb drive and set it to shuffle play. Every other day or so, the system would turn the shuffle off. I’m out of warranty and I wasn’t having other problems so I chalked it up as a first world problem and moved on. Yesterday, my battery was dead as a hammer and I bought a new one. As a side benefit the entertainment system works perfectly. I think the voltage was dropping when the engine was off and some memory settings weren’t retained. Have your battery checked if you’re having weird electronic problems. 

• Like 2

I had a similar problem on my 02 Avalanche. A few weeks before the battery died my transmission was acting up. It would be in tow haul mode and shifting funny. It wouldn’t come out of tow haul mode. But it still started and charged fine. I was getting ready to have the transmission rebuilt. Then one day no start. The new battery fixed the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I say again, why not replace the battery before it dies and avoid a problem. You are going to have buy one so why wait.

4-5 year replacement works for me.

Some batteries warranties are longer. Some batteries are in the trunk with vent hoses that cost over 400$. My wife’s Genesis has had one in 11 years. Some people buy good batteries with long lifespan. An in town battery wouldn’t last as long as an over the road battery. If a person is unsure about battery life they could carry a halo bolt or similar device.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

I say again, why not replace the battery before it dies and avoid a problem. You are going to have buy one so why wait.

4-5 year replacement works for me.

In hindsight, I should have had my battery tested when things started acting weird. My battery was only 35 months old. It was the original Delco battery in my 2019 Yukon. 

I did notice the 42-month free replacement sticker on the battery but it was a holiday weekend and our other car was already in the shop. I skipped the warranty with the dealer and bought a new battery to keep the family mobile over the weekend. All is well now. 

Edited by nfisherman