More problems with my 2020 GMC 3500 Duramax

I have a 2020 GMC 3500 Duramax with 14,000 miles on it. I have had the Particulate filter fail, the transmission failed (they put in a new one), and now the DEF injector failed. All of these are high dollar items, and my truck has been down for a significant amount of time. I am supposed to drive from Arizona to Ohio next week, if they have it fixed in time, and am a little worried about reliability. I am also concerned about about what happens when my warranty is over.

Any advise?

Richard Hlem

The dealer got the DEF injector fixed.  I guess I am taking it to Ohio.  I am a little nervous.  I don't want to go into limp mode half way to Ohio.

With everything that has gone wrong with this truck, should I get rid of it?  Is it a lemon?  Should I ask GMC for an extended warranty because of all of the problems it has had in so few miles?  My warranty will time out long before my miles ever do. 

Maybe I should try to push for a buyback.

Any opinions?

Richard

2 hours ago, Richard Helm said:

The dealer got the DEF injector fixed.  I guess I am taking it to Ohio.  I am a little nervous.  I don't want to go into limp mode half way to Ohio.

With everything that has gone wrong with this truck, should I get rid of it?  Is it a lemon?  Should I ask GMC for an extended warranty because of all of the problems it has had in so few miles?  My warranty will time out long before my miles ever do. 

Maybe I should try to push for a buyback.

Any opinions?

Richard

@Richard Helm, I had problems with my DPF 2 years in a row on long trips and one of those (last year) was a failure bad enough that we had to have our camper towed around in Colorado and leave the truck and camper for over a month. This year, our problem is gone after a flash to raise the DPF burn-off temperature.

With that being said, if you have lost faith in your particular truck...I totally understand. I was right there last year with my issue and my wife and I were concerned to say the least this year when we drove on two longer trips...but we had no issues.

Maybe you will be able to get them to cover you on an extended warranty but I've never asked about it. If I were in your shoes and thought I'd have the option to push for a buyback or get an extended warranty I'd try to push it. If nothing else, ride your truck until close to warranty is out or you have another issue (and lose all faith in it) and trade that sucker in hopes that you get rid of your lemon! :D

Hope this help! But ultimately the decision is yours.

Alan

Thanks for the reply.  I have 14,000 miles on it with 3 major problems.  At this rate, I am almost guaranteed to have some kind of major failure in the 4,000 plus miles we will be driving.  I have to be back in 10 days, I cant afford to be waiting at a dealer in Oklahoma for parts.  I don't know what to do.  I am looking into the Good Sam roadside assistance.  At least that would cover the trailer as well.  But, even having towing coverage, and a warranty, doesn't fix a ruined trip.  I am going to Ohio to pick up a couple of ultralight aircraft with my 18' flatbed.  If the trip is interrupted, I will have to take more time off of work to go at another date.  Not sure what to do.

15 hours ago, Richard Helm said:

Thanks for the reply.  I have 14,000 miles on it with 3 major problems.  At this rate, I am almost guaranteed to have some kind of major failure in the 4,000 plus miles we will be driving.  I have to be back in 10 days, I cant afford to be waiting at a dealer in Oklahoma for parts.  I don't know what to do.  I am looking into the Good Sam roadside assistance.  At least that would cover the trailer as well.  But, even having towing coverage, and a warranty, doesn't fix a ruined trip.  I am going to Ohio to pick up a couple of ultralight aircraft with my 18' flatbed.  If the trip is interrupted, I will have to take more time off of work to go at another date.  Not sure what to do.

My advice is to trade it in on a different truck.  I agree with the previous reply's but you seem pretty convinced its not going to make it.  Who needs that added stress.  Trade it and move on.

Edited by CRApex

Buyback seems unlikely and the lemon law isn't going to cover this.

And I can answer the question of what happens when the warranty runs out because you already know that answer too. That means it's over, case closed, you are responsible all repairs at this point and it's been this way since basically forever when it comes to warranty work. Some things may have special coverage but highly unlikely anything will be done. My parents were around 100 days past the 5 year/60k warranty on a truck with only 50k on it, a failure of a part cost them $2,000 out of pocket because the warranty was up, kinda just the way it goes.

On 10/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, Richard Helm said:

I'm hoping GM steps up with something.  It would br great if they did a buyback or my purchase price toward a new one.  I'll see what they respond with.  

GM will absolutely not buy it back without you pursuing the Lemon Law. Lemon law guidelines are pretty cut and dry for each state. I’d look that over and see if you qualify. They will not buy a three year old truck back if they don’t have to. And they currently don’t have to… speaking from experience. It’s also quite a long process. They are in no hurry either. Truck is still worth quite a bit of money. I’d likely just trade it or sell it outright 

11 hours ago, DScott3370 said:

GM will absolutely not buy it back without you pursuing the Lemon Law. Lemon law guidelines are pretty cut and dry for each state. I’d look th...

I keep getting emails from GMC telling me that they are working with my dealership on a buyback.  But they have not given any details.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:29 PM, Richard Helm said:

Any advise?

Richard Hlem

reoprt it stolen, then set it on fire under an overpass in the ghetto 20 miles from your house...lol.

if you want it to function normally, call the guys at EFI live and pay them to remotely tune it and disable all emmission equiptment. then you'll be a happy camper

Edited by pokismoki

Used trucks are still bringing a premium especially one ton diesels. She’s be a goner if it was mine. Then I’d carefully research what I really needed in a truck as far as a diesel. Or if I needed a heavy duty.