Cold Start Whining Horn Like Noise Comes and Goes? -with video/sound clip

Hi All,

I had the fan clutch replaced last Friday and have put ~200km both city and highway driving and since then.  So far the sound has not returned.  They also put a new auxiliary belt on. 

So hopefully the problem is now resolved.

• Thanks 1

Just took mine into the dealership. They said GM had a bad batch of fan clutches. They also mentioned GM can’t narrow it down to find where the faulty fan clutches came from, meaning even if they replace the fan clutch, there is a chance that another faulty one will be installed. Hoping I get lucky.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update here, dealer replaced the alternator, which didn't fix the problem. Now they think it's something internal to the engine, They ordered some internal engine clutch related parts? which have come in, Ive just been too busy to get the truck back in to the dealer. I will post an update once I do..

5 hours ago, Group_er said:

Just an update here, dealer replaced the alternator, which didn't fix the problem. Now they think it's something internal to the engine, They ordered some internal engine clutch related parts? which have come in, Ive just been too busy to get the truck back in to the dealer. I will post an update once I do..

I thought someone said fan clutch was the issue? That was my guess from the start. 
I often wonder if they love throwing parts at trucks to boost income. 

I know GM has to approve them but I wonder about them doing what they can. It just seems the dealers just throw parts at new trucks hoping for the best. 

• 1 month later...

I have a new 2023 Duramax and have had the same problem.  The Truck has been in shop twice, replaced the fan clutch both times.  The first "fix" did nothing.  The second "fix" has resolved the noise at idle, but i still get the noise when engaging the accelerator at low speeds in the morning after startup.  Super annoying.  I just pinged the dealer again and GM's only recommended repair is replacing the fan clutch.  Just how many fan clutches do i have to get replaced in order to have a properly functioning $80K truck?   

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, jacob2277 said:

I have a new 2023 Duramax and have had the same problem.  The Truck has been in shop twice, replaced the fan clutch both times.  The first "fix" did nothing.  The second "fix" has resolved the noise at idle, but i still get the noise when engaging the accelerator at low speeds in the morning after startup.  Super annoying.  I just pinged the dealer again and GM's only recommended repair is replacing the fan clutch.  Just how many fan clutches do i have to get replaced in order to have a properly functioning $80K truck?   

This is certainly not what we like to hear, jacob2277.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your truck. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: jacob2277/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, finally finally had the time and availability to take the truck into the dealer. 
they replaced the fan clutch, and the noise has been gone since. (2-3 weeks)

here’s a copy of the service order from my dealer. Hopefully it can help some others out:

B24B3BE9-0CF7-42CF-8457-D3458D3286B5.jpeg