Power outlet

I bought a 2023 HD Silverado and I try connecting a vacuum to the bed, so I can vacuum the interior. The inside outlet or bed outlet wouldn't power up the vacuum. I know there is button on the console that I have to turn on for the outlet to work. Do you know why would this be happening? 

Edited by Los-0

32 minutes ago, Los-0 said:

I bought a 2023 HD Silverado and I try connecting a vacuum to the bed, so I can vacuum the interior. The inside outlet or bed outlet wouldn't power up the vacuum. I know there is button on the console that I have to turn on for the outlet to work. Do you know why would this be happening? 

I did the exact same hung when I got my truck. I think the outlets are only 400w. Most vacuums require more power than that. 

The 400W is quite impressive but only provides like 3.3 or 3.4amps just using quick mental math.  Just divide wattage output by 120 and that will give you your amperage rating.  The truck also has to be running I believe for it to turn on the 120V outlets (at least mine has to be) with a press of the button.  Perhaps they might work in accessory mode, I've never tried that.  But I am kind of surprised it didn't at least try to run your vacuum.  It will run power tools easily.

Edited by Jettech1

Jettech1,

I was surprised to since 400w should be able to power up a vacuum. I was more surprise when the inside outlet did the same thing. I know the truck has to be on. I have not tried in accessory mode, but I will try that tomorrow. 

Jettech1,

I was surprised to since 400w should be able to power up a vacuum. I was more surprise when the inside outlet did the same thing. I know the truck has to be on. I have not tried in accessory mode, but I will try that tomorrow. 

16 minutes ago, Los-0 said:

Jettech1,

Both outlets are rated at 400W so it shouldn't matter which one you use.  I only mentioned the accessory setting in the event you had the key off.  Look at your vacuum model then do a google search on power requirements for it.  Or it may have a sticker on it telling you.  That might help you in determining if it is within the 3.5 amps we will say the truck puts out.

7 hours ago, ssgballistics said:

I did the exact same hung when I got my truck. I think the outlets are only 400w. Most vacuums require more power than that. 

You are probably right.  We have a Dyson electric vacuum that we use.  Best damn invention on earth if you don't own one. Got a killer 1/2 price off black friday deal.  Even with it half off it was kind of pricey, but holy crap....That thing is amazing!! 

On 2/12/2023 at 9:17 PM, Pryme said:

3.4 amps is nothing. My saw is 13a and sawzall is like 9amps. It will probably only run like a radio or other items not power hungry. 

Very true statement.  I ran a cord from my dash outlet to the backseat area under the 2 HVAC outlets to a 5 outlet strip cord with 2 USB's in it so that anyone in the backseat could use it to charge their phones or I can charge up the batteries for all of our Bauer 20V electric accessories that we have.  That's probably the best use for what little amps the outlets actually put out.