Power outlet

On 2/12/2023 at 9:51 AM, Los-0 said:

I bought a 2023 HD Silverado and I try connecting a vacuum to the bed, so I can vacuum the interior. The inside outlet or bed outlet wouldn't power up the vacuum. I know there is button on the console that I have to turn on for the outlet to work. Do you know why would this be happening? 

Was the truck running?  The 120v plugs don't work unless the truck is on.  

9 hours ago, nards444 said:

true, but theres no reason they couldnt either disable the outlet if the truck is off, or step it down when the truck is off to a lower amperage.  

They do shut off when the truck is off.  You have to press the button to turn them on again.  They won't turn on automatically when you first start the truck.  I've forgotten that several times when charging up batteries for our outdoor equipment.

7 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

They do shut off when the truck is off.  You have to press the button to turn them on again.  They won't turn on automatically when you first start the truck.  I've forgotten that several times when charging up batteries for our outdoor equipment.

Thats what I thought.  So draining batteries as the guy said before me, is a moot point.  I guess you have to figure in the alternator etc.  

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 6:51 AM, Los-0 said:

I bought a 2023 HD Silverado and I try connecting a vacuum to the bed, so I can vacuum the interior. The inside outlet or bed outlet wouldn't power up the vacuum. I know there is button on the console that I have to turn on for the outlet to work. Do you know why would this be happening? 

On your dash there's an icon that looks like a plug. Truck must be running and switch the icon on. Craig 

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

So far my only use is for a battery minder for my ATV. I have a winch on my ATV and it gets used a lot, so this keeps my battery in tip top shade.

20230422_080255.jpg

I used mine once so far in a very weird way. We moved our oldest child and I used that plug to power the fish tank filter and heater while driving 400mi. 

fish survived so I guess it was good. 

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I had a 2014 LTZ the outlet in front of the console could run seemingly anything when the truck was running, now we have taken a big step back so it can't run anything even when the truck is running but the smallest device, if I want to use a shop vac for 2 minutes I'm not going to kill the battery because the truck is running, the consumer needs to use common sense.  It really is foolproof because if the truck is on it is powered up, if the truck is off it is dead, if it is running and gives more power you might just run out of gas, shame on you.

• Haha 1

its useless for me.....all my tools for work are 9-15 amps, it would probably charge the batteries on my cordless ones but even those batteries re 4-5 amps....never tried though, never used them and probably never will

So for a little nostalgic moment, I wonder if I could power this bad boy to watch the Super Bowl on out of my tailgate?

was doing some basement box discovery and came across this gem I’ve had since 91. It actually still turns on but it’s just snow since it’s analog except I got some faint audio out of it so someone is broadcasting analog somewhere. 

IMG_5967.jpeg

2 hours ago, Pryme said:

So for a little nostalgic moment, I wonder if I could power this bad boy to watch the Super Bowl on out of my tailgate?

was doing some basement box discovery and came across this gem I’ve had since 91. It actually still turns on but it’s just snow since it’s analog except I got some faint audio out of it so someone is broadcasting analog somewhere. 

IMG_5967.jpeg

That is exactly why gm added the 120v outlet. Just goes to show how "behind the times" gm is! 🫣

• Haha 1