5th Wheel Prep Package

On 2/13/2023 at 6:45 PM, Mikegrasty said:

Has anyone added the 5th wheel prep package? I am having a hard time finding all the parts, dealer was not helpful. No videos of GM being added, Ford and Ram have the complete package and videos. 

That's a great question and I'm not sure that it's possible to add it.  From the videos I've watched showing the whole 5th wheel added package welded into the frame makes me wonder if it's even possible to do an add on.  A great question though, perhaps someone else might know the answer to your question.

I did buy the bracket, bolts and heat shield from my local dealership, $1400, hoping to install this week. I had to find the part numbers, they had no idea what I was talking about. GM is missing out not having a package. Not everyone can just trade in their truck to get a 5th wheel.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dwurz said:

I bought a factory gm puck system on eBay for $325 used factory hitch bolts and just trimmed the heat shield the whole thing was simple to install just nerve racking drilling 5 3.5 inch holes in the bed  

So the 5th wheel cross members and mounting points are already there from the factory?

1 minute ago, Dwurz said:

Yeah the bed comes off the puck system slides across the frame rails and bolts on. 

Ok, so I'm a little confused with what you just wrote.  My fault for sure.  So the cross members are there from the factory and all you have to do is drill the holes in the bed to bolt in the puck system?  Is that what you are saying?

Just now, Jettech1 said:

Ok, so I'm a little confused with what you just wrote.  My fault for sure.  So the cross members are there from the factory and all you have to do is drill the holes in the bed to bolt in the puck system?  Is that what you are saying?

No cross members are not there. I bought the entire puck system mount on eBay and it just bolts right in…don’t mind my bed it’s dirty as hell and the goose hole is just a hair off 

F30C49B8-4AFF-4C67-B8D9-64B3AF91B4C6.jpeg

8805FF7B-28AE-4A2A-914C-5D1905BD6CA8.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Dwurz said:

No cross members are not there. I bought the entire puck system mount on eBay and it just bolts right in…don’t mind my bed it’s dirty as hell and the goose hole is just a hair off 

F30C49B8-4AFF-4C67-B8D9-64B3AF91B4C6.jpeg

8805FF7B-28AE-4A2A-914C-5D1905BD6CA8.jpeg

That answers my question.  Thank you for that.  325 is cheap for what you just added.  Kudos to you and I bet this helps others that want to add this to their truck!!  Excellent post and your bed looks amazing and you did an amazing job cutting those holes getting them lined up.  Great job sir!!!

1 hour ago, Mikegrasty said:

You got lucky buying the crossmember that cheap. I paid $1400 for crossmember, 8 bolts and heat shield from dealership. 

20230215_163921.jpg

Yeah I called the dealership and ended up looking on eBay found a store on eBay that had like 8 of them listed it definitely worked out….the heat shield is dumb I just trimmed a tiny piece off of mine and it worked fine. Also when you go to put the bolts in I’d suggest spraying them with copper, the holes were all nasty 

1 hour ago, Mikegrasty said:

You got lucky buying the crossmember that cheap. I paid $1400 for crossmember, 8 bolts and heat shield from dealership. 

20230215_163921.jpg

Yeah I called the dealership and ended up looking on eBay found a store on eBay that had like 8 of them listed it definitely worked out….the heat shield is dumb I just trimmed a tiny piece off of mine and it worked fine. Also when you go to put the bolts in I’d suggest spraying them with copper, the holes were all nasty 

• 5 months later...