2023 Silverado 2500HD Custom - Trailer Brake Controller

My truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller.  Can these be added after the fact?  When checking with the dealership they said "there isn't anything available for that".  I see the parts online but found in a little research that they aren't plug and plan.  I'm not very auto-mechanic savvy but can follow instructions.

Aftermarket controllers can be installed. The controller itself needs to be installed where it can be reached by the driver and wires can be routed to it. It needs to connect electrically to 12 volt power, the brake light circuit, and the trailer harness brake control wire. It is often done as a diy item, but requires wiring knowledge and skill. 

A good source of information on the work involved would be the installation instructions for a controller, which would be available on the manufacturer’s web site, and youtube videos. 

Adding a brake controller is very easy. I'd suggest going with the Tekonsha P3 brake controller with the vehicle specific wiring harness. Mount the controller wherever you want. The wiring harness plugs into factory wiring harness. No wiring knowledge necessary.

P3 brake controller: https://www.tekonsha.com/product/90195_trailer-brake-control-proportional

Wiring harness: https://www.tekonsha.com/product/3064-p_trailer-brake-control-harness

1 hour ago, lmullenaux said:
My truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller.  Can these be added after the fact?  When checking with the dealership they said "there isn't anything available for that".  I see the parts online but found in a little research that they aren't plug and plan.  I'm not very auto-mechanic savvy but can follow instructions.

Aftermarket brake controller only.

Factory one can't be added after the truck has been built.  Must be ordered with it.  

So here comes a dumb question that I'm sure most know the answer to.  I was under the impression all 2500 and 3500's come with a brake controller.  Is that not correct?  And if that's so, what kind of sense does it make to offer a 2500 or 3500 without one?  That just doesn't make any sense to me.

Edited by Jettech1