Key fob is just dead at random.

1st off - I've replaced the batteries twice with two different brands to rule out the battery being the issue.

At random while driving I will have the key in my left pocket, and I'll get a message no key fob detected.  Once I get that the next time, I go to unlock the truck the fob is completely dead.  No remote unluck, no unlock using the door handle, nothing.  The 2nd key fob will work 50% of the time when I try and do this.  I have put the key in center of the cup holder, and it will say no fob detected and give me an info graphic of where to place the key.  The last time I had to get my woman to bring my 2nd set of keys and it still gave me trouble trying to detect the 2nd key fob.  I've been carrying both of them with me and this morning still couldn't unlock the truck.  I used the phone app which will open the doors.  I have an appointment tomorrow but of course its $150 to just look at it.  Just started this in the past couple weeks wondering if I just continue my luck with this vehicle or if it's a known issue.

2019 Silverado HC for reference.

My 2020 Silverado 2500HD is doing the same thing. Both key fobs stopped working at the same time. I was locked out of the truck. I thought it must be that the batteries are the same age so I changed the batteries in both, twice. Nothing. Then 8 hours later both key fobs work. Now they are working consistently. But it has happened 3 times in the last week. 

Just to update:  

Went to the dealer yesterday they suggested a new key fob and reprogram to solve the issue.  $350 later I get home and then go to leave later on and I still have the same issue.  I go back on Monday to continue diagnosing the issue.  It just locked me out of the truck and I have to use my phone to unluck the doors then I was able to put the key in the center cup holder area and luckily after a few tries it picked up the key and let me start the vehicle...  This is very frustrating.

On 3/16/2023 at 2:14 PM, silveradosid said:

did dealer find any codes, your phone unlocks your door through onstar and your fob does through the the module in the truck, does your tire monitor system work properly. it is the same module.

So at the dealer today and no codes or indicators as to what is going on.  As far as I know the TPMS is working and shows the tire pressures.  They are going to update some type of programing for the door control button.  They really have no idea why we are having the issue.  There's nothing showing in the codes.  The other strange thing I happened to notice the last time I was locked out was as soon as I got into the vehicle the rear view camera was on in the dash but I had not even tried to start the vehicle or anything. 

On 3/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, Pyrojodge said:

Just to update:  

Went to the dealer yesterday they suggested a new key fob and reprogram to solve the issue.  $350 later I get home and then go to leave later on and I still have the same issue.  I go back on Monday to continue diagnosing the issue.  It just locked me out of the truck and I have to use my phone to unluck the doors then I was able to put the key in the center cup holder area and luckily after a few tries it picked up the key and let me start the vehicle...  This is very frustrating.

Ouch! Did you get you're money back?

On 3/16/2023 at 12:09 PM, Pyrojodge said:

Just to update:  

You didn't use the key in the fob to unlock the door?

So just to update a week later from the last time I dropped the truck off.  Still don't know what's going on with the fob.  Has a code for low battery in fob that we can't get rid of but we have replaced the entire key fob and batteries again and still get the issue.  GM is still supporting on a list of things to check to solve the problem.  As of now, still not fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Any resolve on this?  I just started having almost the exact same issue. No warning just stopped working. Right now I am locked out of my truck in a campground. It started yesterday at first the remote wouldn’t unlock the doors but the push button on door handle would and the truck recognized the remote as it started and adjusted to driver 1 memory. Later it worked flawlessly then not at all. Changed batteries twice and tried second remote to no avail. Then both worked fine later. Right now neither remote works at all and if I try the door handle button the signal lights flash 4 times and nothing happens. I’m waiting to be sure everyone in campground is awake before I use the manual key to open the door because when I did that yesterday the alarm went off and was a challenge to get it to stop. Any ideas appreciated 

I should add my truck is 2021 Sierra AT4

Edited by smithmr

On 4/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, smithmr said:

Any resolve on this?  I just started having almost the exact same issue. No warning just stopped working. Right now I am locked out of my truck in a campground. It started yesterday at first the remote wouldn’t unlock the doors but the push button on door handle would and the truck recognized the remote as it started and adjusted to driver 1 memory. Later it worked flawlessly then not at all. Changed batteries twice and tried second remote to no avail. Then both worked fine later. Right now neither remote works at all and if I try the door handle button the signal lights flash 4 times and nothing happens. I’m waiting to be sure everyone in campground is awake before I use the manual key to open the door because when I did that yesterday the alarm went off and was a challenge to get it to stop. Any ideas appreciated 

Interesting, at this point I'm almost 1k into it and it's not fixed still having random issues.  Supposed to replace the wireless key module on Wednesday this week so I'll let you know.  

On 4/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, smithmr said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, smithmr.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: smithmr//GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

15 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, smithmr.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2021 GMC Sierra. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: smithmr//GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

@smithmr What a bunch of garbage!!! I can tell you from experience don't waste your time! 

Edited by Pyrojodge

Dealership replaced the wireless entry module today and... So far so good... My key now works from distance and hasn't failed to unlock yet.  I'll let you know in a few days and make sure it still is playing nice but hopefully this is the fix... 🤞

Well, so far my issue is still not solved.  Replacing the wireless module didn't fix the problem.  It's so strange.  When I got the truck from the dealership, I could unlock the truck from distance.  Then I noticed that I couldn't unlock the vehicle any longer with the key fob buttons but I could unlock with the door buttons.  Now that is random if I can unlock with the door handles without getting the remote out of my pocket and going to the back door to unlock. It is a frustrating situation for sure.