2024 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.6 Gas (L8T) Engine

Good to know. Engines have gotten so good and I have gotten lazy. I hardly ever check oil anymore. I don't remember the last time I had a vehicle that used oil. I change every 5K and have been using synthetic since the mid-80s. I know I've never had an issue since then.  Haven't noticed anything on mine the few times I have checked it. I'm only pulling about 3K a year on it though and change annually. I've been using the Kirkland synthetic. Before that I used Mobile One in my other vehicles. Does anyone have any feelings on brands? I'm a strong believer in good oil.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pryme said:

I’m also very satisfied with the 6L90. Shifts very smooth both unloaded and towing. I have no desire to change up my truck. As jet would say…..I love my truck haha

Jettech says that, but you know he’s spending his evenings on the 2024 configuration site, building that new truck he lusts after, while at the same time denying his new truck dreams. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Another JR said:

Jettech says that, but you know he’s spending his evenings on the 2024 configuration site, building that new truck he lusts after, while at the same time denying his new truck dreams. 

He probably has the local dealer on speed dial asking daily when a 24 with the fancy screen comes in so he can hang out in it for a few hours. 

I had around 11k on my 2021 Silverado 3500HD when I sold it. A lot of those miles were towing a 12k fifth wheel and I never added a drop of oil to it. 

It had whatever the factory fill is first

second was Pennzoil platinum 5w30 

third was Kirkland full synthetic 5W30

The two times I changed it I used a Wix filter. 

If there was an issue with that engine I never saw it, mine ran flawlessly. 

• Like 3

I have about 11,800 miles on my 2022. First oil change was at about 3300 miles than a 2nd one done at about 8400 miles. I do check my oil level every 2-3 weeks. I have not had any noticeable oil consumption.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Another JR said:

45 minutes ago, Pryme said:

He probably has the local dealer on speed dial asking daily when a 24 with the fancy screen comes in so he can hang out in it for a few hours. 

I'm so glad you both are laughing at my love for my truck.  I LOVE MY TRUCK!!!  But it would be nice to have that new infotainment center.  I love the simplicity of my truck, having to use a key....a little tiny 7" screen....not having heated and cooled seats....where was I going with this??  Oh yeah, I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! 

Edited by Jettech1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Palliser said:

I have a 2020 Silverado with the 6.6 gas engine. Have had it for 2.5 years and 23,000 miles with no oil usage. Use it to pull my toy hauler that weighs about 8500 lbs.

Great info there!!  And I think you will see that is what is coming from the majority of gasser owners.

• Thanks 1

Jetech. Thanks for your input.   I have a toy hauler too (Greywolf (25RRT) and I am currently pulling it with 2019 1500 RST with Max Towing.   It pulls it fine, but on long trips lets just say I know itis back there.  Have had multiple friends take the 2500 plunge and they say it is like nite and day difference.  What kind of mileage are you getting when you pulling you toy hauler?

21 minutes ago, ChrisG-2019 said:

Jetech. Thanks for your input.   I have a toy hauler too (Greywolf (25RRT) and I am currently pulling it with 2019 1500 RST with Max Towing.   It pulls it fine, but on long trips lets just say I know itis back there.  Have had multiple friends take the 2500 plunge and they say it is like nite and day difference.  What kind of mileage are you getting when you pulling you toy hauler?

I tow a Grand Design 2800BH.  7k on the axles and 1k on the hitch.  With all trucks you will feel that weight behind you no matter what someone says, gasser and diesel owners as well if they are being honest.  I'm new to this whole arena, new to a 2500, new to hauling any weight like our travel trailer...what concerns me the most is people with 1500's being way over capacity.  The golden rule that was instilled in me from when we first went on this journey is stay at 70% or below of all your maximum towing weights and capacity for safety reasons.  So the 2500 for us more than does this for us.  I'll look up your camper here in a minute.  Gas mileage is 8 to 10 depending on terrain.  

Edited by Jettech1
  • Thanks 1

@ChrisG-2019  I just looked up your camper.  The numbers from the factory are low, they all are.  Think about the weight in front of the camper say in the pass through along with clothes and everything that can be stored perhaps under your bed, along with at least one battery, 2 propane tanks and you are getting close to 1k lbs.  I have no idea of your weight ratings for your truck, if can take a pic of it and post it on here it will certainly help.  And you might be ok because you have max towing, but look at your capacity numbers.  I'm guessing you will be running out of room real quick.  That's why I always suggest at least a 2500 to be safe.  But who knows.  Do the math on your truck and I would love to help with that.  Do you have CAT scales near you?  That's really the only way you will know for SURE if you are over.

• Thanks 1

Here's the CAT scale ticket we got.  That was with a full tank of water on our GD imagine that sits right in front of our axles.  I was trying to get the highest number I could get in the event we went boondocking somewhere and needed a full tank of fresh water.20221217_181130.thumb.jpg.dca8dc772ac88cea355b88059f994cfa.jpg

Jettech.  My Silverado has 11.3L tow rating and 1130 tongue  weight so my camper is well within its range. The 25RRT  has a gross weight under 8K and a hitch of 690 lb.  My truck can pull it fine, but a 2500 with its size and weight would not work as hard.  While my Silverado gets better MPG non towing, I find towing the 1500 and 2500 (gas) get about the same MPG (I get a average of 9 MPG towing with 1500).  I am in northern Virginia is there is no cat scale near me.  Have a friend in PA that I may visit at some point that has one within a 25min drive.  Appreciate the info and feedback.

• Like 1

I just noticed today my truck’s lifetime gas mileage is sitting at 14.6 according to the truck. I keep one for trips and leave one alone. I’ve been satisfied considering how big these trucks are with the aero dynamics of a cinder block. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1