2024 Silverado 2500 HD with the 6.6 Gas (L8T) Engine

Currently have a 2019 Silverado 1500 RST and looking at upgrading to the 2024 2500 HD gas.  Been reading a lot of blogs about the 6.6 (L8T) engine having oil consumption issues and trying to find out if Chevrolet had done anything to address the issue.  Supposedly it has to do with the piston ring design. I know there is a few service bulletins and even a lawsuit regarding this issue.  Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks.

I'm certainly no expert on this subject and this is the first I've heard about a lawsuit over oil consumption of the 6.6L gas engine.

That being said, the 6.6L engine is a direct injection engine. In my experience with DI engines they all consume oil as some of the oil passes through the PCV system. The amount of oil that passes through the system appears to be directly related to how hard the engine is being run.

Some people opt to use aftermarket catch cans to collect the oil and reduce valve deposits.

Whether or not the catch can is actually needed has been a topic of discussion for many years on many forums for many vehicles.

Thanks for your input.  Here is some of the info I have come across:

03-06-01-023D 1..4 (nhtsa.gov)

GM Hit With $102M Verdict In CA Engine Oil Consumption Trial (gmauthority.com)

Supposedly GM stance is that itis Ok to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles.  Would not mind hearing from anyone with a 2022 or 2023 6.6 gas and there experience.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, ChrisG-2019 said:

Thanks for your input.  Here is some of the info I have come across:

03-06-01-023D 1..4 (nhtsa.gov)

GM Hit With $102M Verdict In CA Engine Oil Consumption Trial (gmauthority.com)

Supposedly GM stance is that itis Ok to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles.  Would not mind hearing from anyone with a 2022 or 2023 6.6 gas and there experience.

Thanks again

I have a 2023 6.6L gas engine. But I've only had it for 2 months. So I don't have enough time with it to be of much help. I haven't noticed any major loss of oil in the 6,000 miles I've put on my truck so far.

Edited by Dr1ft3r
Incorrect statement.

6700 miles on my '22HD and have changed the oil twice.  Break in and at 5K miles.  I checked the dipstick yesterday and it is still at the top of the full indicator; I am not worried about oil consumption...yet.

Lee

• Thanks 3

April 2021 L8T here. At my oil changes at roughly 3750 and 7500 miles, the oil level was still in the top 1/4 of the dipstick hashmarks. I do not seem to be having significant oil consumption. 

• Thanks 1

I have about 15,500 miles on my 22’. No measurable oil consumption so far. Hopefully it will stay this way for a long time. 

I have been very impressed with the drivetrain on this truck. It has plenty of power for our towing needs (travel trailer, farm equipment, hay, etc). I am one of the seemingly few that really like the 6l90, but I think that the Allison will be even better. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ssgballistics said:

I have about 15,500 miles on my 22’. No measurable oil consumption so far. Hopefully it will stay this way for a long time. 

I have been very impressed with the drivetrain on this truck. It has plenty of power for our towing needs (travel trailer, farm equipment, hay, etc). I am one of the seemingly few that really like the 6l90, but I think that the Allison will be even better. 

I’m also very satisfied with the 6L90. Shifts very smooth both unloaded and towing. I have no desire to change up my truck. As jet would say…..I love my truck haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1