2023 2500 6.6 GAS fuel overflowing when filling up

Since day 1 (2 months and 2000 miles ago) every time the pump gets to the end of filling up a giant air bubble shoots gas all out filler port onto me and down the side of the truck. Any ideas on what may cause that since day 1? Anyone else have this issue with the gasser?

21 hours ago, Pryme said:

That’s something I’ve never heard of but I’d be bringing it to the dealer immediately. 

This, and press the issue. 

We have an 08 Durango with a lifetime powertrain warranty.  It spewed fuel like your truck is doing.  There was later a recall on it.  The dealer performed the recall, problem solved right.... Hardly, the quarter panel later on developed rust under the filler spout where gas had run down the inside on the metal.  Dodge/Chrysler refused to take care the rust issue despite there being thousands of complaints.

Good luck.

• Sad 1

I've had a vent plugged in the past. (on an '07 Pathfinder) If it gets bad, it'll continually stop the pump from filling... You have to keep starting the pump up. Endlessly annoying. Towards the end of a fill, it'll overfill like you're describing. Maybe yours is partially blocked?

Either way, it's a trip to the dealer for you. They told me (fwiw) that mine got plugged from me topping off the tank. I still do this, and haven't had issues in years. Who knows.

9 hours ago, x219c said:

I've had a vent plugged in the past. (on an '07 Pathfinder) If it gets bad, it'll continually stop the pump from filling... You have to keep starting the pump up. Endlessly annoying. Towards the end of a fill, it'll overfill like you're describing. Maybe yours is partially blocked?

Either way, it's a trip to the dealer for you. They told me (fwiw) that mine got plugged from me topping off the tank. I still do this, and haven't had issues in years. Who knows.

I heard topping off is no good so I’ve never done it. I mean if it stops at 87.91 I’ll go to 88.00 but I will only go a very small click. 

11 hours ago, x219c said:

What it does do is introduce liquid fuel to the evap. canister and when it purges some of that ends up in your crankcase. Trims will catch it quick enough you don't get a CEL but if overwhelms the rings. Chased that squirrel around the yard awhile. UOA showed a 3% spike in GC fuels. It's a vapor canister, not a liquid canister. 😉 

On 4/17/2023 at 6:50 PM, Kevin Wanczyk said:

Since day 1 (2 months and 2000 miles ago) every time the pump gets to the end of filling up a giant air bubble shoots gas all out filler port onto me and down the side of the truck. Any ideas on what may cause that since day 1? Anyone else have this issue with the gasser?

Pinched vent line or obstructed vent line.  Something isn't allowing the tank to vent during fill up.  Its under warranty, take it back.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1