I have a question for you experienced long haul campers.

6 hours ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Great thread. 

It is. Sorry for the derail @Jettech1 but I'd like to know more about the TPMS you installed. Do tell. Please.

I found that for me about 400 miles towing the TT was my limit with our old rig. I wonder if not stressing about a 20+ year old tow rig will change that metric. My wife wasn't volunteering very hard to drive before. I'm reluctant to give up the wheel anyway. But camping hasn't started for us and she's already mentioned wanting to drive the new rig. So I imagine having a pinch hitter may extend the driving day.

Topic is relevant to our future plans with the new truck. A one way 1500 mile trip is in the works. Keep it updated. Our TT is just under 8k loaded. A close comparison. I'd like to read first hand experience what towing with the new truck is like...

Edited by IDBrett
added info
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, IDBrett said:

It is. Sorry for the derail @Jettech1 but I'd like to know more about the TPMS you installed. Do tell. Please.

I found that for me about 400 miles towing the TT was my limit with our old rig. I wonder if not stressing about a 20+ year old tow rig will change that metric. My wife wasn't volunteering very hard to drive before. I'm reluctant to give up the wheel anyway. But camping hasn't started for us and she's already mentioned wanting to drive the new rig. So I imagine having a pinch hitter may extend the driving day.

Topic is relevant to our future plans with the new truck. A one way 1500 mile trip is in the works. Keep it updated. Our TT is just under 8k loaded. A close comparison. I'd like to read first hand experience what towing with the new truck is like...

Absolutely will keep you all updated.  As to the TPMS system, we bought the TST 507 with the Marine sensors because it was 110 off normal price.  It's back up to normal price but just keep an eye on it because they have big price drops on occasion.  One downfall with the Marine sensors is that when the battery goes bad you just throw them away and buy another sensor.  Typical life expectancy is about 2 years.  I'm not sure if the marine sensors put out more of a signal than the other ones because I didn't have to worry about installing the repeater.  They work perfect as is....here's the link to the ones I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9NTZ7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I've only had a chance to use it once so far and it's worth every damn penny!!!  I love it and the peace of mind that comes with it.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

One downfall with the Marine sensors is that when the battery goes bad you just throw them away and buy another sensor.  Typical life expectancy is about 2 years.

@IDBrett I'm going to do more research on the marine/hybrid tpms sensors.  TST claims the batteries can't be replaced, I'm thinking that might not be totally accurate.  I priced them out at $51 each, so if you decide to go with the TST system, of which I highly recommend, you might want to go with the regular cap sensors that have replaceable batteries.  The only reason I bought the marine ones was because they had a 110 dollar discount but that may have been a short sighted decision on my part.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

We just made a very similar drive from Mass to Florida a couple of weeks ago. We moved down here and i was towing my enclosed trailer with about 4k in it with my half ton. We did it in 3 days, if i had a do over i think i would stretch it to 4. We had our dogs with us so we were stopping every couple of hours for a break for both them and us. Our days ended up about 11 total hours between hotels which I feel like was too much. I feel like the extra day would have got us into the 8 hours on the road range which would have been better for me I was pretty tired after day 3. The truck was fine, no issues there and pretty relaxed driving it was just a lot of it.... 

We have plans to RV full time once we get our rig and truck( hopefully in a week or two on the truck) and we are already thinking we don't want to drive much more than 350 miles in a day.  

Edited by nitro882
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, nitro882 said:

We just made a very similar drive from Mass to Florida a couple of weeks ago. We moved down here and i was towing my enclosed trailer with about 4k in it with my half ton. We did it in 3 days, if i had a do over i think i would stretch it to 4. We had our dogs with us so we were stopping every couple of hours for a break for both them and us. Our days ended up about 11 total hours between hotels which I feel like was too much. I feel like the extra day would have got us into the 8 hours on the road range which would have been better for me I was pretty tired after day 3. The truck was fine, no issues there and pretty relaxed driving it was just a lot of it.... 

We have plans to RV full time once we get our rig and truck( hopefully in a week or two on the truck) and we are already thinking we don't want to drive much more than 350 miles in a day.  

This is great information.  Thank you so much..  Where in Mass did you move from?  I lived in Chelmsford while I was going to tech school back in the mid 80's

Edited by Jettech1

3 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

This is great information.  Thank you so much..  Where in Mass did you move from?  I lived in Chelmsford while I was going to tech school back in the mid 80's

I lived in Holliston which is just south of Framingham. I had lived in that general area my whole life until now....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nitro882 said:

I lived in Holliston which is just south of Framingham. I had lived in that general area my whole life until now....

I know where Framingham is and I honestly have never heard of Holliston.... but so cool that you are moving to Florida....I have no doubt you will love it...lots of humidity....but humidity to me is easy to deal with.....better than cold ass temps...lol...

Edited by Jettech1

3 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I know where Framingham is and I honestly have never heard of Holliston.... but so cool that you are moving to Florida....I have no doubt you will love it...lots of humidity....but humidity to me is easy to deal with.....better than cold ass temps...lol...

Holliston is a tiny little town between Framingham and Milford. Its one of those if you blink you miss it kind of places but a very nice place to live. In a lot of ways i'm going to miss it but i am not going to miss winter that's for sure. Right now we are in St Pete and not too far from the gulf, like a 5 min ride form St Pete beach. With the constant sea breeze i have not noticed the humidity yet but there is still time....

Once we get the truck and RV the plan is to be in the RV full time and we probably wont be down here in the summer after this year.

• Like 1

If I havent mentioned it before I can say with confidence that you want to avoid the Tirelinc system. It is absolute junk. It was difficult to setup (nothing in the instructions actually matched what the unit wanted) and the system false alarmed repeatedly for no reason. The app is glitchy (a Lippert trademark) and unreliable. I only used it twice with bad results and the final straw was when I went to use it a few months after the initial issues and found 2 of the sensors corroded so badly they were ruined (my trailer is stored in my insulated and heated pole barn). Its absolute junk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

If I havent mentioned it before I can say with confidence that you want to avoid the Tirelinc system. It is absolute junk. It was difficult to setup (nothing in the instructions actually matched what the unit wanted) and the system false alarmed repeatedly for no reason. The app is glitchy (a Lippert trademark) and unreliable. I only used it twice with bad results and the final straw was when I went to use it a few months after the initial issues and found 2 of the sensors corroded so badly they were ruined (my trailer is stored in my insulated and heated pole barn). Its absolute junk. 

There was another person (or perhaps it was you) a while back that said exactly what you just did of which saved me a lot of time and money by going with TST.

Any big trip for us I plan on roughly five hundred miles per day. 

That usually lets us take breaks without being rushed. Traffic jams aren't as much of a worry, getting in and out of the overnight stay isn't as rushed. We can leave in the mornings more leisurely, break downs aren't as stressful, etc.

Its so much easier to deal with the unexpected when you aren't also on a tight schedule. 

Junk RV tires are a major source of issues...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

That usually lets us take breaks without being rushed. Traffic jams aren't as much of a worry, getting in and out of the overnight stay isn't as rushed. We can leave in the mornings more leisurely, break downs aren't as stressful, etc.

Its so much easier to deal with the unexpected when you aren't also on a tight schedule. 

That's an impressive amount of miles per day.  Luckily we've got plenty of time for this whole trip, 3 weeks so we don't have to run too hard.  65mph tops is all I plan on running.  Also we have the goodyear endurance tires on our camper so hopefully we will be issue free.  Thank you for your reply!!! 

19 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

So you’re calling a leisurely trip pulling a camper 500 miles per day. I’m a planner that comes from driving 50k miles a year. It could be my age but most RV drivers are older. My trips start early with minimal stops mostly rest area’s because of quickness. Usually one gas stop two quick drive throughs. Speedometer set between 72-74. Around 450 miles pulling into my destination ready to stop. That’s in my comfortable easy driving non RV pulling vehicle. From my 20s to 40s I was pulling something. There’s wasn’t anything leisurely about it.  You couldn’t pay me to do it today. Hampton here I come. Leisurely and RVing, nooooo. But hey go for it, have fun.😵‍💫

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

So you’re calling a leisurely trip pulling a camper 500 miles per day.

Yes... Give or take 8-9 hours on the road, slightly situated later in the day. Leaving 9-10 and arriving mid evening (before dark). Roughly four pit stops along the way. One right after we pull out, a lunch stop, an afternoon stop and an early evening stop. The pets and passenger princesses... most stops are a minimum 20 minutes, lunch is usually an hour. 

Interstate travel too, so speeds 70-75 with most stops right off the highway.

Most of our family are the 'drive straight through' type... starting a 4am no stops...

• Like 2