I have a question for you experienced long haul campers.

I run 62-65 MPH typically and depending on where we are headed we will try to keep the daily miles less than 500 although I have been known to grind out some miles while everyone else sleeps 😎

Before we got the trailer(s) I drove the MI to FL straight through a few times, 1100 miles. Those days are over though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

I run 62-65 MPH typically and depending on where we are headed we will try to keep the daily miles less than 500 although I have been known to grind out some miles while everyone else sleeps 😎

Before we got the trailer(s) I drove the MI to FL straight through a few times, 1100 miles. Those days are over though. 

I'm with you.  Before the whole towing a camper thing came into play I could hardcore too.  But towing a camper definitely adds on to the stress level.  Along with slower speeds.  Back in the day I would set the cruise on 79 in my Benz and just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Now that I don't own a Benz anymore, and they really are great cars, yeah I just try to stay safe and keep away from everyone.  Nothing like going down the road and hitting an alligator (ripped off piece of tractor trailer tire)...I did that once years ago.  That did 3500 bucks worth of damage to my 88 Toyota Supra Turbo that I kept pristine....my heart sunk after hitting that damn thing.  Bad memory there for sure.

5 minutes ago, 64BAwagon said:

I had a whitetail deer come running out from the brush and committed suicide on the front of my 99 Silverado about 15 yrs ago, that was no bueno. 

We have had very similar experiences.  I bought my 95 E320 Benz used in 99...I didn't have that thing 2 weeks and I'll be darned if a deer didn't hit me....it hit my left front fender, took out my side mirror, then caved in my drivers door where it bounced off from....I never did like dear meat....bastards....lol....that was another 4k repair to it.  Thank goodness it was covered...there was deer hair in my door seal...lol...

I hit one deer, pause while I knock on wood in New Jersey. People were spot lighting. I was driving a pristine 61 super 88 convertible. Just like the one in the beginning on full house. A broken headlight and dented trim. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I hit one deer, pause while I knock on wood in New Jersey. People were spot lighting. I was driving a pristine 61 super 88 convertible. Just like the one in the beginning on full house. A broken headlight and dented trim. 

Do you have any pics of that car you owned?  I've heard about them but I've never seen one actually...

1 minute ago, Jettech1 said:

Do you have any pics of that car you owned?  I've heard about them but I've never seen one actually...

I have somewhere. I’ve owned many. It was a sickness or hobby. Most used I would clean up moving to the next one. At least one of every lettered or numbered car out of Detroit. Starting in the sixties. My favorite and still the most of one kind was Impala. I had thirteen of those. SS was my favorite letters followed by GT. Amazingly never owned a vette. Look at one for the wife, Ended up with a Acura Intagra Type R. Still have it. My brother and I used to rib her about it. She’s laughing now. It’s good I didn’t like it at the time because it’s bone stock. I would have at least changed the muffler. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I have somewhere. I’ve owned many. It was a sickness or hobby. Most used I would clean up moving to the next one. At least one of every lettered or numbered car out of Detroit. Starting in the sixties. My favorite and still the most of one kind was Impala. I had thirteen of those. SS was my favorite letters followed by GT. Amazingly never owned a vette. Look at one for the wife, Ended up with a Acura Intagra Type R. Still have it. My brother and I used to rib her about it. She’s laughing now. It’s good I didn’t like it at the time because it’s bone stock. I would have at least changed the muffler. 

I was lucky enough to be able to afford to buy a vette back in the late 80's.  I just never liked how I felt in the drivers seat.  I thought my ass was going to drag on the ground.  Now these new vettes...holy crap....I'm now too old to buy one but damn they are amazing!! The acura integra, especially the type R were absolutely amazing cars.  I owned a 91 Acura legend 2 door back in the day.  It was primarily my wifes car.  That thing was nuts...fast as hell, looked great.. a really great car.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, Jettech1 said:

Maine is our home state too!  And yes driven it many times over the years, just never with 8klbs behind me.  We were looking at WalMarts too.  Some allow it some don't so we need to download that Allstays app you mentioned.  Thank you very much for your advice!

Edit:  Our typical route is 85N to 77N to 81N up to Scranton, then pick up 84 through Hartford to the Mass pike 90 to 495 then 95.  It allows us to skip many big cities and only adds 100 miles if I remember correctly but well worth it to avoid NY and DC.  We've been asked many times why we drive when we can fly for free and in all honesty, we pack too much crap lol....it's always nice to have what you want when you want it.  Another reason we bought our camper, now we pack even more crap....LMAO!!!  Of course we fly up if we are just going for the weekend or something like that but staying 2 or 3 weeks.  We drive because I can make it to Scranton in one shot, then finish out the trip the next day.

You don’t have to convince me, we prefer to travel in our RV , we don’t fly free though, and there’s 4 of us still😳 I grew up in Gorham but lived in Windham for 15 ish years until we hit the road.  Skied Shawnee Peak every year, and took the locks up into Long lake many times from Sebago.

the only I thing I do differently in our drive is I hit 290 between 90 and 495. I don’t think that route adds much if any miles vs 95 the whole way up. Could be wrong though… enjoy your trip! Will be on our way up into Nova Scotia next week! Hopefully I will a new truck before the end of the year to drive around the country with! We’re currently in 15, 2500 Denali with the Duramax . It’s been a great tow vehicle, we’ve circled the country several times including Alaska with it. We have 153k on it, but looking forward to what the new 24 has to offer! 

*photo Mount Denali with the Denali 😃

3F0137B6-3736-4A14-9588-40F630F95284.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, asilverblazer said:

Yes... Give or take 8-9 hours on the road, slightly situated later in the day. Leaving 9-10 and arriving mid evening (before dark). Roughly four pit stops along the way. One right after we pull out, a lunch stop, an afternoon stop and an early evening stop. The pets and passenger princesses... most stops are a minimum 20 minutes, lunch is usually an hour. 

Interstate travel too, so speeds 70-75 with most stops right off the highway.

Most of our family are the 'drive straight through' type... starting a 4am no stops...

Nothing in here would be considered "leisurely" IMHO. 4 pit stops?? 9 hours??

If you leave at 10 or 11, 1 break for late lunch/gas, and final stop at 2 to 3; that's more my style.

So much to this, but to me truck drivers are only allowed 11 hrs a day,  personally hauling I cant see driving more than 8-10 and I am young and a road warrior,  it becomes dangerous on many fronts.

Beyond that the question are you retired or not makes a difference.  To me that a 2 day trip and you would be able to get 500 miles a day or so.  If retired and wanted to take your time maybe 3,  but even then that means 3-4 hrs a day if that.  To me retired or not I would want to get 3-400miles a day knocked out.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the wanderer said:

Nothing in here would be considered "leisurely" IMHO. 4 pit stops?? 9 hours??

If you leave at 10 or 11, 1 break for late lunch/gas, and final stop at 2 to 3; that's more my style.

1300 miles in 8-9hrs is impossible, somebody didnt do  the math, that like going 160mph.  Id probably go 70 with that load if i had the diesel in it, maybe a little less with the gas.  even going 75mph 1300 miles is a 17hr trip.  But maybe hes talking just one day, if he is I think its reasonable to haul 8-10hrs with a stop every  2-3hrs

Edited by nards444

13 minutes ago, nards444 said:

1300 miles in 8-9hrs is impossible, somebody didnt do  the math, that like going 160mph.  Id probably go 70 with that load if i had the diesel in it, maybe a little less with the gas.  even going 75mph 1300 miles is a 17hr trip.  But maybe hes talking just one day, if he is I think its reasonable to haul 8-10hrs with a stop every  2-3hrs

most we’ve ever driven towing in a day was 1000 miles, and that took about 16 hrs. We had some unexpected delays and were stuck 1000 miles from where we needed to be the next day. We needed to be at my wife’s mom’s wedding… 1000 miles towing in the Northeast is way too much! Out west it’s a lot easier to cover ground, with way less driver fatigue since you’re not dealing with as many distractions on the road. 

With some well planned routes 5 hrs on the road is when I “start” to stop having fun, 2 to 3 hrs is perfect. We travel full time though so we technically have the time. With that said even we have to get places sometimes, so 10+ hr days on the road happen a few times a year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nards444 said:

So much to this, but to me truck drivers are only allowed 11 hrs a day,  personally hauling I cant see driving more than 8-10 and I am young and a road warrior,  it becomes dangerous on many fronts.

Beyond that the question are you retired or not makes a difference.  To me that a 2 day trip and you would be able to get 500 miles a day or so.  If retired and wanted to take your time maybe 3,  but even then that means 3-4 hrs a day if that.  To me retired or not I would want to get 3-400miles a day knocked out.  

Not to toot my horn and being a 50K mile a year driver for 40 years and 30K now. I have a handle on long distance driving, hauling and fatigue. There’s some differences between individuals and being a top tier driver. I can back that up with a clean accident free record. I could keep myself fully alert for 33 hours up to 40 years old. To say it wasn’t painful would be ridiculous to the point of singing to myself. Carrying fuel 100 gallons packing my food my best alone driving speed average for 1633 miles was 60 mph pulling. Same distance no load was 68 MPH. At 40 I started hallucinating stopped the strait through. Now at 67 7hrs in a SUV or mini van. Freeway driver has gotten more combative especially with any kind of rig. Relaxing is a thing of the past driving in most cases. Any kind of distraction is dangerous. I see very little rigs, trucks or campers wrecking. When I do usually there’s a car involved.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

Not to toot my horn and being a 50K mile a year driver for 40 years and 30K now. I have a handle on long distance driving, hauling and fatigue. There’s some differences between individuals and being a top tier driver. I can back that up with a clean accident free record. I could keep myself fully alert for 33 hours up to 40 years old. To say it wasn’t painful would be ridiculous to the point of singing to myself. Carrying fuel 100 gallons packing my food my best alone driving speed average for 1633 miles was 60 mph pulling. Same distance no load was 68 MPH. At 40 I started hallucinating stopped the strait through. Now at 67 7hrs in a SUV or mini van. Freeway driver has gotten more combative especially with any kind of rig. Relaxing is a thing of the past driving in most cases. Any kind of distraction is dangerous. I see very little rigs, trucks or campers wrecking. When I do usually there’s a car involved.

Obviously experience matters and helps and a professional driver should be able to handle it more.  I think what also aids at least truck drivers is usually they are going slower and driving in and out and its much more flat lined experience.

The reality whether you can handle it or not, and even if you never crashed, everybody fatigues and reflexes dimish, its a proven fact.