Frame rust

First post here. I’m looking at purchasing a 2001 Silverado. It has 145,000 miles. The truck is absolutely mint condition. Not a scratch in the bed, original paint, and interior looks great. It has a 4.3 motor. My main worry is the frame has rust on it. The entire frame looks consistent with the picture I attached. It’s mainly surface rust. But what’s strange is the under body and bed look great. Is this normal on these trucks? And would you worry about it? Also I know the transmissions are known to be a weak link. With this kind of mileage would you be worried about the transmission? It doesn’t look like it’s been used to haul or tow and shifts fine. 

7F949D8B-C99C-4481-BBE9-C0424C8CA1D0.jpeg

Everything is relative. That amount of rust is nothing up here. There are trucks all over here that are rusted clean through and the frames have broken. If it concerns you get a gallon of fluid film and shoot the frame. I dont think you have anything to worry about. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ausreed93 said:

First post here. I’m looking at purchasing a 2001 Silverado. It has 145,000 miles. The truck is absolutely mint condition. Not a scratch in the bed, original paint, and interior looks great. It has a 4.3 motor. My main worry is the frame has rust on it. The entire frame looks consistent with the picture I attached. It’s mainly surface rust. But what’s strange is the under body and bed look great. Is this normal on these trucks? And would you worry about it? Also I know the transmissions are known to be a weak link. With this kind of mileage would you be worried about the transmission? It doesn’t look like it’s been used to haul or tow and shifts fine. 

7F949D8B-C99C-4481-BBE9-C0424C8CA1D0.jpeg

That is nothing.  Just surface rust.  Normal to me for a non salt state 22 year old truck.  If you want rust, hop on a plane to a salt belt state.  We'll show you rust LOL.  That frame would be worth another 2 grand on the price up here.  

4L60 can have its moments.  Keep the fluid changed and it should be ok.  Common failure point would be the "salad bowl," the sun gear shell.  They are known to break where the splines are.  Being its a 4.3 truck, its probably got plenty of life ahead of it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CamGTP said:

It's still amazing to me what people in the south think rust is.

Us in the north know they have no idea lol.

I know, glad I'm down here and don't have to work on those rusted vehicles. Parts all seized together. :lol:

As someone from Minnesota, that is a mint condition frame.

There are trucks that are less than 10 years old with frames way way worse than that, full of scale that I can chip with a screw driver.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know we've talked enough about the condition of the frame, but I really want to put things into perspective here: my 2014 (yes, 2014) frame looks worse than that by a MILE. I would kill for it to look like that.

That is very superficial rust. If you really wanted to, you would have to put in maybe minimal effort in doing a little bit of sanding and then applying a good rust inhibitor. After that, you would be golden cosmetic wise.

If you're getting a good deal and the rest of the truck is flawless, I'd say get it. This truck is not even close to the end of its life 🙂

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ausreed93 said:

Here are some more pictures I got of the frame. Still up in the air. I know this isn’t a brand new truck but more than what I’ve seen normally around here even living on the coast. 

BF3614E1-DD67-4866-B12D-76F14D325EA2.jpeg

Do you see any 'scale' on that frame? Me either. Buy it. Give it a quick once over with a wire brush and hit it with a few cans of PB Blaster Surface Shield. Call it a day. Or do nothing. Where you live that frame will outlive you. Even if your twenty. 

So the guy is firm at $8k. Dash has minor cracks, roof has faded paint, and headliner is sagging (and potentially leaking from 3rd brake light). Other than that it seems like a great truck. Old man owned. It’s a v6 truck with 150,000 miles. Price seems steep for a v6 truck but I also know the single cab short bed trucks go for a premium. What’s y’all’s thoughts on the price?

16 hours ago, Ausreed93 said:

Here are some more pictures I got of the frame. Still up in the air. I know this isn’t a brand new truck but more than what I’ve seen normally around here even living on the coast. 

BF3614E1-DD67-4866-B12D-76F14D325EA2.jpeg

312F830D-FEE8-464D-BA58-143DEB641044.jpeg

0BA08ACE-2DA4-4E92-9CCD-A7DF2D2CF5F0.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Ausreed93 said:

So the guy is firm at $8k. Dash has minor cracks, roof has faded paint, and headliner is sagging (and potentially leaking from 3rd brake light). Other than that it seems like a great truck. Old man owned. It’s a v6 truck with 150,000 miles. Price seems steep for a v6 truck but I also know the single cab short bed trucks go for a premium. What’s y’all’s thoughts on the price?

Frame is fantastic.  

Price.  Just quick messing with KBB, he's asking excellent condition retail price for a truck that's in good condition at best based on the cosmetics (paint fade, headliner sag, dash cracked).  On a good day, its a $6000 truck at best retail. 

Me, I'd walk at $8000 "firm".  If it was a V8, then perhaps it'd be closer to $8000.  He's watching too many Bring A Trailer auctions LOL with those super low mile GMT-800s going for stupid money.  

Edited by newdude