Test drove a 2024 AT4X gasser

I am currently in a 2020 6.2L Sierra 1500 but soon moving back to an HD for payload requirements.  Pulls my 28' travel trailer just fine, but payload is tapped.  A change in work will have me needing at least 2500 LBs in the box, so back to a 2500.  I had a 2015 Duramax LML that had the normal amount of emissions issues (fortunately all warranty items - sensors, DEF tank replacement, etc.).  No need to go back to the diesel as max trailers for me will be 10-12k.  After test driving the gas 6.6L, I'm surprised more people don't choose it.  I guess I fall in the sweet spot of needing payload more than max towing ability.

In the AT4X with 35" tires, the truck moved just fine.  I did a handful of city driving miles, and then got it on the highway.  Passing power was more than adequate.  I really was surprised with the ride.  Almost as smooth as my AT4 half ton.  Definitely not the same as my old 2015 Denali 2500.  For the price difference compared to a regular AT4 2500, I feel the shocks, e-locker, and upgraded leather seats are more than worth it.  PS, payload was just under 3100 LBs on the tester.  I think it is closer to 2600 on a diesel AT4x w/ AEV package.

• Like 2

Unladen, the 6.6L hustles along just fine.  When towing a heavy camper, it's not gonna win any drag races but it does well.

If you're happy with how the 6.2L moves your TT in the mountains, the 6.6L will be similar.  They both like RPMs.

I use a 2500 for Payload as well, someday ill probably tow with it but nothing near its capability.......however payload in a 1500 just isnt enough.....always choose the gas version, my H.C. payload sits @ 3405lbs I believe.....its very comfortable for a 3/4 ton......

I had 1,400lbs of drywall in the bed the other day and it was still almost a half inch from even touching the overload springs. No noticeable sag. My 2500 has 3,520 payload. Love it.  

Edited by Pryme
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, I test drove a 7.3L Tremor F250 today.  Never owned nor driven a Ford in my life.

The 7.3L was very impressive.  With the 4.30 rear end, it jumps from a start.  One thing I will credit Ford on, when you go to build a vehicle on their website, it is much more a la carte than GM.  For the most part, very easy to pick and choose things you want and skip things you don't.

Comparing against the AT4X, the Tremor drives stiffer.  Not at all as harsh as I expected, but the multimatic shocks on the Sierra are great on road.  The Sierra even in the most base form is very loaded, the Tremor package is very reasonable to add to whatever trim you are buying.  So not really apples to apples, aside from 35" tires, factory lifted suspensions, and locking rear diffs.  Let alone the exterior appearance, which for me, highly favors the GMC.

23 hours ago, 453030 said:

Out of curiosity, I test drove a 7.3L Tremor F250 today.  Never owned nor driven a Ford in my life.

The 7.3L was very impressive.  With the 4.30 rear end, it jumps from a start.  One thing I will credit Ford on, when you go to build a vehicle on their website, it is much more a la carte than GM.  For the most part, very easy to pick and choose things you want and skip things you don't.

Comparing against the AT4X, the Tremor drives stiffer.  Not at all as harsh as I expected, but the multimatic shocks on the Sierra are great on road.  The Sierra even in the most base form is very loaded, the Tremor package is very reasonable to add to whatever trim you are buying.  So not really apples to apples, aside from 35" tires, factory lifted suspensions, and locking rear diffs.  Let alone the exterior appearance, which for me, highly favors the GMC.

I just ordered a 2024 2500 Denali with the 6.6L gas engine. I was thinking about the Ford but the solid front axle totally turned me off to it which is why I went GM with independent front suspension.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bruceb58 said:

I just ordered a 2024 2500 Denali with the 6.6L gas engine. I was thinking about the Ford but the solid front axle totally turned me off to it which is why I went GM with independent front suspension.

This is why I ended up in a 2024 AT4 gasser. The Super Duty I drove just felt like a tank, especially with the steering/handling. I also couldn't tell much of a power difference just driving around.

I am also about to order an AT4X.  The Tremor is a compelling option, but 80-90% of my drive time is without payload and towing.  No need for the solid front axle.  I do like that it is a limited slip differential on the front - better than nothing - but ironically in recent comparison videos I have seen of the trucks, the AT4X looks better on traction even without it.  I only wish it did not have to be so loaded (like automatically including the sunroof, I don't like them and rather get the truck without).  And I wish it had a few more color options.

1 hour ago, 453030 said:

I am also about to order an AT4X.  The Tremor is a compelling option, but 80-90% of my drive time is without payload and towing.  No need for the solid front axle.  I do like that it is a limited slip differential on the front - better than nothing - but ironically in recent comparison videos I have seen of the trucks, the AT4X looks better on traction even without it.  I only wish it did not have to be so loaded (like automatically including the sunroof, I don't like them and rather get the truck without).  And I wish it had a few more color options.

I ordered my Denali without a sunroof.

5 hours ago, 453030 said:

Yes, you can do that on Denali.  Not on AT4X.  Denali is a lower trim level.

Is it true you can't order the AT4X with 20" wheels?

The AEV wheels are awesome.  Supposedly, they will be for sale from AEV at some point.  I am passing on the AEV package.  I will never have the truck in such a scenario where I would gain the advantage of the steel bumpers.  I also much prefer the look of the GM bumpers, but I would love the AEV wheels.

On the AT4X I drove, the on road quality was noticeably softer than a standard AT4 or Denali.  In similar builds, the X costs me 5-7k more, but comes with things the other trucks can't have.  Namely, the shocks, e-locking rear diff, and phenomenal seats.  Not quite as good as the CT5-V Blackwing semi analine massaging seats, but darn good.  And I still can't believe it is less expensive than the 1/2 ton!

• 3 weeks later...

For being a 100k truck.  I am not impressed with the inside shiny plastic trim, interior with white stripes, and a manual adjustable steering wheel that’s travel distance is still far too short.