17"×8" factory steel wheel/spare load rating

22 hours ago, silveradosid said:

there is a load rating on the sidewall of the tire at a rated psi

Thank you on this. I have a 2014 Sierra and dont have access to them personally. The wheel also should have its own load rating separate from the tire itself. I am more curious as to if the steel spares are the same wheels or not. The part #s are different and the wheel prices are very different in range from the spares to the actual 4 wheels. These look pretty good IMHO is why i am asking, and not able to go around to check them out myself right now in the near future. They could be a good cheap alternative for wheeling.

14 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

My spare is on a 17” aluminum rim. 

IMG_2919.jpeg

Do you know if your aluminum wheels are like the old 17x7.5 or updated 17x8? my search has been inconsistent on the actual width of the aluminum wheels. Also, is there a wheel load rating embossed in the back side of that spare? 

Steel spares are the same as the production ones, but painted black and a temporary tire. They are 7.5 if I remember correctly. I was researching them on ebay the other year. You can find aftermarket steel wheels in 17x8 or 17x9 that are cheaper than the OE steel wheels even used ones.

5 hours ago, henrypbui said:

Do you know if your aluminum wheels are like the old 17x7.5 or updated 17x8? my search has been inconsistent on the actual width of the aluminum wheels. Also, is there a wheel load rating embossed in the back side of that spare? 

Sorry I don’t. It’s under the truck facing down so you can’t see the markings. I found that picture online

On 1/10/2024 at 6:56 AM, henrypbui said:

Does anybody know what the steel wheel load ratings are? And are the steel wheels on the work trucks/lower trims the same as the spare steel wheels?

I've never seen the load ratings published from GM ever.  

Spare wheels are typically designated by configuration of the truck.  A heavier optioned truck like an SLT or Denali might have the aluminum wheel vs. the steel wheel as the spare is a larger and heavier tire, but a WT or LT might have that same tire but a steel wheel.  No real rhyme or reason that I can come up with other than that.  

They've got two steel wheels and one aluminum.  Of the two steels, one is the same wheel as the factory 17" steel wheel you've posted on that GMC (same p/n).  The other I think has a different design with a whole bunch of small holes in it, like what they used on the 14-18 trucks.  The alumium is that one that's posted in here the black 7 spoke.

As far as the load rating, one could technically assume that its a minimum of 1825lbs?  I say this with the fact that the highest possible GVWR on a new 1500 is 7300lbs.  If we divide that by 4, that's 1825lbs per corner.  I'd like to think its higher than that number, probably over 2000lbs, but again, I've never seen the data anywhere.  

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, GETGONE said:

Now you mention it, the PPV vehicles used the small hole version of the steel wheel.

Stock Silverado steel just painted black.  I'd post a picture but this site hates me now and won't let me lol so here's a link - https://images.app.goo.gl/GKVZVPr7n5SxSVrX7

New T1 PPVs are on 20" steels.  

Edited by newdude

Maybe some of the police around me swapped theirs. I swear I've seen them running small hole wheels. I do like the older larger hole ones, but not sure if they clear the T1 calipers.

Those T1 PPV 20" steelies are going for over $2K a set WITHOUT tires!

I have found multiple PNs for these wheels same design. The 1s described for WT wheels are selling a little over $50 a wheel as the spares are $130 or more for black, silver, and 1 with no mention. Steels should be 17x8 and the aluminums i have found sellers/forum members are saying 17x7.5 anr 17x8. 

I know my K2XX are 17x8 steel take offs i have and aluminum were 17.x7.5 spares. 

Part #s i have found

Gm steel wheel part #s

86508934 black not sure of what material

84947816 aluminum spare wheels

84440191 silver steel spare wheels 

560-08130 Black steel spare wheels

84927607 stock front and rear steel wheels

The last part # 84927607 are selling at dealers online from $48-80, locally my search shows $60 cheapest. All the other wheels are almost 3xs the price. 

Personally I like the looks of the steel wheels better than most aftermarket steel wheels. Even the aluminum spares look good, just they probably wouldnt be a good wheel to tow up to 10k lbs with being a cast wheel from china dependent if there is an actual load rating for them around 2300lbs. Or so. Example of the steel wheels repainted on a GX470

img_1_1704832476791.jpg

Edited by henrypbui
Adding more to post