If you install the trans dipstick, will it void your warranty?

I had to make this quick video. Next the manufacturer will cut more costs and force more people into the overpriced dealership to check and change their oil too and of course say that it’s just easier to lay under the truck in the dirt to check your oil too. That’s the new age we live in. Just say something enough times and it becomes true.  

not too long ago every vehicle had a trans dipstick. Now almost none. Imagine telling a mechanic 20 years ago “ oh it’s just easier to lay under the truck to check this fluid. Don’t pull that dipstick” he would think you lost your mind. 

My daughter’s 2010 fusion has a trans dipstick. Just checked it the other day when I did the oil. Quick and easy. 

Edited by Pryme

52 minutes ago, Pryme said:

So this would only apply to someone who drained and refilled based on the dipstick reading. If someone does the mod on a factory stock truck, the level is already set from the manufacturer.

No.  GM did not put the stick and tube there from the factory, therefore it can't be considered an approved method to check the fluid level.  

The check plug in the pan is the ONLY approved method.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, newdude said:

No.  GM did not put the stick and tube there from the factory, therefore it can't be considered an approved method to check the fluid level.  

The check plug in the pan is the ONLY approved method.  

Yes I understand that. What I’m saying is until someone actually changes their fluid, it’s still the factory fluid in the transmission. Having a dipstick inserted doesn’t change the level that was pre filled in the truck. 

once someone does a drain and fill and then uses the dipstick to check level, it would be what you’re talking about. 

thing is, it is very easy to see the level is correct so this whole thing is for moot because it is reading correctly. 

Edited by Pryme

5 hours ago, newdude said:

The proof would be on the customer to prove that their added part is accurate in the level check of the fluid.  GM engineered a different pan with the fluid level check plug and stem pipe that is set to the level.  The dispstick add is an alteration to the vehicle done after final assembly, and these trucks are now designed and engineered to use the pan plug as the fluid set method.    

Its really easy on the OEM do deny warranty repair on this one for transmission failure or shift driveability concerns because an unapproved method was used to "set the fluid level" of the transmission therefore can't be considered accurate.  Every forum and Facebook group loves the ol' Magnuson Moss defense but its not always applied or interpreted right.  

static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10242206-0001.pdf

What Is Not Covered

Damage Due to Accident, Misuse, or Alteration

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage caused as the result of any of the following:

• Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle
  • Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the owner manual.
  • Alteration, modification, or tampering to the vehicle, including, but not limited to the body, chassis, powertrain, driveline, software, or other components after final assembly by GM.
  • Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.
  • Installation of non-GM (General Motors) parts
  • Water or fluid contamination
  • Damage resulting from hail, floods, windstorms, lightning, and other environmental conditions
  • Alteration of glass parts by application of tinting films

Is adding a factory part that was deleted from the exact same assembly really a modification? 😏 Okay, let's say they win that one. Here's my personal warranty to guarantee.

You don't stand behind what you sold I guarantee you don't sell to me again. How's that for a warranty? 

Now people will argue that my refusal will have no impact on GM. Ask Mc Donnal's how that strategy is working out for them? It's called an 'Economic Vote". One wins nothing. Keep screwing people long enough and those votes start eating your lunch. Micky D's is in the process of walking that attitude back. 

I dumped Ford over such stupidity about 50 years ago. There are plenty of fish in that sea. 

49 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Is adding a factory part that was deleted from the exact same assembly really a modification? 😏 Okay, let's say they win that one. Here's my personal warranty to guarantee.

You don't stand behind what you sold I guarantee you don't sell to me again. How's that for a warranty? 

Now people will argue that my refusal will have no impact on GM. Ask Mc Donnal's how that strategy is working out for them? It's called an 'Economic Vote". One wins nothing. Keep screwing people long enough and those votes start eating your lunch. Micky D's is in the process of walking that attitude back. 

I dumped Ford over such stupidity about 50 years ago. There are plenty of fish in that sea. 

GM lost me with cars after the rear drive Impala was discontinued. Genesis filled that gap. New trucks got too expensive, adding cylinder deactivation was the icing. As long as there’s choices people don’t have settle. The transmission dipstick thing doesn’t bother me as much because it’s a more accurate check. There’s really no reason to check the transmission fluid unless there’s a leak. So checking during oil changes is sufficient. I can understand why people would get upset over it. I don’t think it was a cost saving change. I think it was an efficiency change. 

Hang on all, I'm thinking I caused a bad thing here.  This topic was brought up to me from another forum that confused me quite a bit.  I get what everyone is saying here and I agree with most all.  I swear I was not trying to turn this into something that it is right now.  We all have a lot of questions at times.  The answers are there whether we want to believe them or not.

There are a lot of things that can be done. Some have a cost. I don't mind paying that cost. Cheat me and I dump you, forever. Pretty simple. 

Look, they have this where they want it. Do anything I don't say is okay, and it's a foul, I won't fix your vehicle? But do as I say and what I tell you to do, well, it will shorten it's life by the amount that benefits me most? They think they have me by the short hair. What they have is failed relationship. Mary has balls. Just not mine. 

They lost me with the 6L80E torque converter issue. A known problem they would not fix and continued to propagate. One that decimated the transmission when it fails, and it will fail. That isn't planned obsolescence. That is grand theft done legally. They dare me to move on. Okay.....

I'll give my money to Mitsubishi or Kia. 

• Like 2

Really any mod anyone does to their vehicle can be scrutinized just as Newdude explained for this mod. 

catch cans, exhaust, different lighting installs etc. heck, even a more powerful amplifier taxing the trucks electrical system. All the same. 

• Like 1

I believe it was mentioned that warranty work is at the discretion of the dealer. That may lead to the decision makers frame of mind at that time. Is this person hung over, had a fight with the spouse ETC. 

Same scenario with anyone in a position of authority, why I have a problem with these people. 

• Like 1

The other thing a guy can do beside live in fear is do what needs to be done. If I owned a V8 six speed it would have a billet converter pronto and if they deny a transmission claim for a transmission that did not fail.... jokes on them. It is EXACTLY what I do, and I suffered zero issues and spent less than $20 in broken or damaged parts for the 'lifetime' of the truck. That isn't 'luck of the draw". 

This dipstick thing isn't about 'better' for you. It's about better for them. Force more people who could do some work at home for the cost of the fluid into a shop where it is done for hundreds beyond the price of fluid. It isn't about you getting the fluid level wrong. If you have enough skill to install it, then I'm sure you can manage getting the level right. I could do this task by the time I was eight years old and I'm not that special. 

Now, if you can't tell a spark plug from a fire plug, then by all means let the dealer milk that cow for all it's worth. 

This, "I don't want any problems" followed by "I don't want to do anything about it either" is getting old. Fix known issues, change your oil and quite whining about what may happen if you don't do something. Something will. Then we get to do this again. It won't make you feel better. And it won't solve the problem. :idiot:  

:rant:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

The other thing a guy can do beside live in fear is do what needs to be done. If I owned a V8 six speed it would have a billet converter pronto and if they deny a transmission claim for a transmission that did not fail.... jokes on them. It is EXACTLY what I do, and I suffered zero issues and spent less than $20 in broken or damaged parts for the 'lifetime' of the truck. That isn't 'luck of the draw". 

This dipstick thing isn't about 'better' for you. It's about better for them. Force more people who could do some work at home for the cost of the fluid into a shop where it is done for hundreds beyond the price of fluid. It isn't about you getting the fluid level wrong. If you have enough skill to install it, then I'm sure you can manage getting the level right. I could do this task by the time I was eight years old and I'm not that special. 

Now, if you can't tell a spark plug from a fire plug, then by all means let the dealer milk that cow for all it's worth. 

This, "I don't want any problems" followed by "I don't want to do anything about it either" is getting old. Fix known issues, change your oil and quite whining about what may happen if you don't do something. Something will. Then we get to do this again. It won't make you feel better. And it won't solve the problem. :idiot:  

:rant:

I modified 99 percent of the vehicles I’ve owned. I never gave warranty a thought. I had two warranty claims. Both vehicles had tunes and exhaust work. Neither caused the problem. They were fixed no charge. I don’t know what it cost for a transmission rebuild in your area. But I bet changing a converter for preventative maintenance would rival that cost. Unless you did it yourself. I would get extended warranty. And maybe do the change afterwards. Maybe l don’t understand your point. It wouldn’t be the first time. 🤓

24 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I modified 99 percent of the vehicles I’ve owned. I never gave warranty a thought. I had two warranty claims. Both vehicles had tunes and exhaust work. Neither caused the problem. They were fixed no charge. I don’t know what it cost for a transmission rebuild in your area. But I bet changing a converter for preventative maintenance would rival that cost. Unless you did it yourself. I would get extended warranty. And maybe do the change afterwards. Maybe l don’t understand your point. It wouldn’t be the first time. 🤓

The R&R is the same. The price difference between a Reman transmission and a converter is HUGE.

Will a stock converter go 60K? Probably. Then the cost is on you.... all of it.  

Edited by Grumpy Bear

One other thing I thought I’d mention. For the guys who don’t believe you have to check the transmission fluid as long as there’s no leak…..

plenty of guys are not leaking oil but are using plenty. Transmission fluid can burn off too. 

Heck, I drive my truck 5-6k a year. So in 5 years when my transmission warranty is over, my truck will probably have a whopping 25-30k miles. I’d hope I don’t have transmission issues before that especially being my truck has thus far led a very cushy life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Pryme said:

One other thing I thought I’d mention. For the guys who don’t believe you have to check the transmission fluid as long as there’s no leak…..

plenty of guys are not leaking oil but are using plenty. Transmission fluid can burn off too. 

Heck, I drive my truck 5-6k a year. So in 5 years when my transmission warranty is over, my truck will probably have a whopping 25-30k miles. I’d hope I don’t have transmission issues before that especially being my truck has thus far led a very cushy life. 

My experience pulling heavy 25k combination driving 50K miles a year. I never had to add transportation fluid. I used 1 ton dodge, Chevy and ford diesel and gas. Maybe it was the Amsoil.