If you install the trans dipstick, will it void your warranty?

I'm an admin on another site, it doesn't compete with this one, it's just a FB site.  Knowledge is to be shared especially when there's a big concern.  Anyhow someone mentioned that their dealer told him that if you install the trans dipstick, it would void his warranty.  I was like WTH??  But yes that is what his dealer told him.  I'm going to call my dealer on Monday to ask the same thing but if that's the case, there's a ton of people out there that voided their warranty unknowingly.  So I want this to be more of a PSA to others if this is true.  All I'm asking here for those that have done this mod....is this true?  And have you called your dealer to see if that great little mod would void your warranty?  Because if it does void your warranty, we need to make sure everyone knows about it while under warranty for sure.  Thank you all....

Edited by Jettech1

That sounds like BS. A lot of people mod their vehicles and keep their warranty. Putting on oversize wheels would do more stress than putting in a dipstick.

I am waiting on my GMC truck but there are many things I am going to change including a different transmission pan and a different diff cover.

On my present Ford F-150, I used Forscan to modify computer settings. I am sure the dealer noticed what I did and there was nothing mentioned to me.

Edited by bruceb58
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bruceb58 said:

That sounds like BS. A lot of people mod their vehicles and keep their warranty. Putting on oversize wheels would do more stress than putting in a dipstick.

I am waiting on my GMC truck but there are many things I am going to change including a different transmission pan and a different diff cover.

On my present Ford F-150, I used Forscan to modify computer settings. I am sure the dealer noticed what I did and there was nothing mentioned to me.

Maybe.  I don't know.  That's why I'm wondering if anyone has called their dealer to ask that question.  But I do get what you are saying for sure.

If a guy was unsure and had an issue a guy could spend 5min and reverse the mod back to stock. Taking it out would literally be under 5min. 

The only negative I could see is if some ham fisted Barney somehow got dirt down in the trans while doing the install. Not likely as everyone who did this mod did it to nearly new trucks with no grime built up anywhere. 

• Like 2

Very complex subject. I am typing on my cell phone so I will be as brief as possible. 

The OEM must show that the mod created or worsened the issue. In reality a lot depends on your dealer and their competence along with their tolerance for mods. Some will work with you and others will throw you under the bus. The OEM is supposed to have to prove the issue, the reality is they can Aledge with the backing of their almost infinite legal dept. Could you take on a huge corporation ? 

I have a long history of working on modified and upfitted trucks through my previous work life, a lot of your success dealing with this issue is knowledge and relationships. 

Now, the dipstick question is one I am familiar with. My take is that the 6L90 did come with the dipstick at one point. The provisions for it are still machined in the case and the parts are still made. Adding a dipstick to a unit that used to have one would be a pretty easy argument in my opinion. This is where your relationship with the dealer would be important. A dealer that would make a statement like the one you mentioned would not see another penny of mine. 

I have some inside observations on things like this, too numerous for typing on my phone. LOL 

Scott

• Like 3

Electrical mods are the most complex in my opinion. As an example, I added footwear lights in the front of my 2024 using a Molex connector and the instructions from GM for adding lighted sill plates. This followed their established practices thereby greatly reducing the likelihood of scrutiny of the mods but not eliminating it entirely. If the GM upfitter instructions (available online) are followed and the best practices are followed the chance of an issue is lessened but not eliminated. Now had I added more than 2 small LED lights I would be flirting with an issue. 

Some mods will expose you to risk. My LED headlamps on my truck are an acceptable risk for me. Risk vs reward. 

I do however have the advantage of an insider. Lacking that I may have not taken the risks I have. 

Scott

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 64BAwagon said:

Electrical mods are the most complex in my opinion. As an example, I added footwear lights in the front of my 2024 using a Molex connector and the instructions from GM for adding lighted sill plates. This followed their established practices thereby greatly reducing the likelihood of scrutiny of the mods but not eliminating it entirely. If the GM upfitter instructions (available online) are followed and the best practices are followed the chance of an issue is lessened but not eliminated. Now had I added more than 2 small LED lights I would be flirting with an issue. 

Some mods will expose you to risk. My LED headlamps on my truck are an acceptable risk for me. Risk vs reward. 

I do however have the advantage of an insider. Lacking that I may have not taken the risks I have. 

Scott

Thank you for both of your posts sir.  I really appreciate it!!

12 hours ago, Pryme said:

If a guy was unsure and had an issue a guy could spend 5min and reverse the mod back to stock. Taking it out would literally be under 5min. 

The only negative I could see is if some ham fisted Barney somehow got dirt down in the trans while doing the install. Not likely as everyone who did this mod did it to nearly new trucks with no grime built up anywhere. 

The reversal process time is good to know.  Thanks pryme!

I would do it if you're going to keep this truck a long time for maintenance convivence if you do the maintenance. Void the warranty? The entire truck or the trans? 

Chances are if you service the trans properly it will live past the warranty. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My cousin spent his career as a service manager at a big GMC garage. He told me once that the dealer has the ability to warranty anything whether it's technically still under warranty or not. Totally up to the dealer's digression.

With no transmission dipstick (something I was not aware of till today......thanks again all for the great info), I hope they do better filling the transmissions than they do the differentials.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rdonarski said:

My cousin spent his career as a service manager at a big GMC garage. He told me once that the dealer has the ability to warranty anything whether it's technically still under warranty or not. Totally up to the dealer's digression.

With no transmission dipstick (something I was not aware of till today......thanks again all for the great info), I hope they do better filling the transmissions than they do the differentials.

Me too!!!  LOL.

• Haha 1

I don't see how.  If there ever was an issue, how would they prove that a simple dipstick install caused the issue?  The transmission is still plugged and the fact that they used to have them kind of makes this a silly issue.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

I don't see how.  If there ever was an issue, how would they prove that a simple dipstick install caused the issue?  The transmission is still plugged and the fact that they used to have them kind of makes this a silly issue.

I don't see how either.  Dealerships and service managers are all different from what I've experienced.  Some say this, some say that.  It might be more important to find a service manager that is on point and knows what he or she is talking about.

I would actually doubt more than 1 out of 100 people looking under the hood would even notice a 2020+ truck that happens to have a dipstick lol. It’s not like it’s that noticeable to begin with. And the trucks directly preceding it had them

• Like 1