Searching for max payload in a 3500

Howdy,

The little woman just informed me that we'll be getting a Brinkley Z2900 5th wheel (GVWR 14,500 lbs., guessing the pin wgt to be 3,000).  My 2500's payload is 3,067 so I'm looking for a 3500 to replace it.  Most likely 2020-2022.

Stuff that I want on the new-to-me 3500: SRW, High Country, diesel, crewcab, and the aforementioned wife still wants the sunroof.

I'd like to avoid calling every dealer & asking them to send photos of the door jamb stickers.  Are there any heavy options to avoid?  Like "don't get the snowplow package, it weighs 500 lbs" or "If you drop the High Country and get a SLE/SLT/etc. you can save 972 lbs".

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Michael Butts said:

Howdy,

The little woman just informed me that we'll be getting a Brinkley Z2900 5th wheel (GVWR 14,500 lbs., guessing the pin wgt to be 3,000).  My 2500's payload is 3,067 so I'm looking for a 3500 to replace it.  Most likely 2020-2022.

Stuff that I want on the new-to-me 3500: SRW, High Country, diesel, crewcab, and the aforementioned wife still wants the sunroof.

I'd like to avoid calling every dealer & asking them to send photos of the door jamb stickers.  Are there any heavy options to avoid?  Like "don't get the snowplow package, it weighs 500 lbs" or "If you drop the High Country and get a SLE/SLT/etc. you can save 972 lbs".

Thanks!

As reference I have a 24 Denali SRW 3500 Gasser, Payload is 3856, a similarly equipped diesel will be at least a couple 100lbs less.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bruceb58 said:

I know you said SRW but personally, I wouldn't tow that without DRW.

I think the OP is going to be driven to a dually for that trailer if he wants to stay within the payload rating (as he should). The diesel reduces the payload by about 400 lbs due to the increased engine and transmission weight. My 21 3500hd SLT cclb SRW gas truck has a payload rating of 4055 lbs. I think the highest payload you will see on a 20-23 diesel crew cab 3500 is going to be around 3600 lbs.  The 5th wheel hitch hardware will use a couple hundred of that. If the pin weight is 3000 lbs, just the pin weight, the hitch weight, and two people and some tools will put the combination at or over the payload limit depending on how heavy the people are. 

Edited by Another JR
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Another JR said:

I think the OP is going to be driven to a dually for that trailer if he wants to stay within the payload rating (as he should). The diesel reduces the payload by about 400 lbs due to the increased engine and transmission weight. My 21 3500hd SLT cclb SRW gas truck has a payload rating of 4055 lbs. I think the highest payload you will see on a 20-23 diesel crew cab 3500 is going to be around 3600 lbs.  The 5th wheel hitch hardware will use a couple hundred of that. If the pin weight is 3000 lbs, just the pin weight, the hitch weight, and two people and some tools will put the combination at or over the payload limit depending on how heavy the people are. 

Unloaded Pin weight is 2081 lbs. I'd guess loaded to be between 2600-2700 lbs so at lets say 3400 lbs payload he would still have 700-800lbs.

4 hours ago, Grjfer said:

Unloaded Pin weight is 2081 lbs. I'd guess loaded to be between 2600-2700 lbs so at lets say 3400 lbs payload he would still have 700-800lbs.

Minus 200# for the hitch.

Ditch the fifth wheel and go with A Reese Goosebox or a Gen-Y hitch.  Then you have less than 25 pounds in the bed of the truck, which can be removed in less than five minutes.

Thanks for the input!

Personally, we're not gigantically obese, but we are Americans 😆 so I used 500 lbs. to account for a 5th wheel hitch and the body weight over the included 150 lb. driver.

I'd like to avoid the dually since it's going to be a daily driver and soon to be only vehicle we have.  Tough to stuff a LB dually into parking lots.  The SRW lets me go with the short bed and "skinny" truck.

I have been researching the GenY gooseneck option and that looks awfully interesting.  No big ol' hitch and something to absorb the bumps from the trailer.  The few diesel SRWs I've seen have about 3,750 in payload and I can see easily eating that extra payload with stuff in the truck so saving 225 lbs. (weight of a Pullrite slider) would be nice.

Since I'm stuck with Internet searching, I'm just trying to eliminate the 3500s larded up with heavy options to maximize payload.

Just to give you an idea - I have a 2024 Silverado LTZ Z71 with every single option (HUD/Sunroof...etc) except power steps. It is a gasser 4x4 crew cab long bed and my cargo capacity is 3446 and the sticker lists a max gooseneck trailer hitch weight of 2760. Not sure exactly how much the 3500 springs will add. 

I get that a gasser will give me more payload, but man, I can't go back to towing a 30+ foot trailer through the regular gas lanes.  Dealing with the general population is too stressful for me.

This is my second diesel and being able to get fuel in the commercial lanes is something that I don't want to give up. 

I guess I'll dig through the GM trailering guide again to see what unicorn I can find in a SRW that will tow this "midsize" fiver.  Or, just stop messing around & start shopping for a dually.

Posted (edited)

Brinkley shows 2081lbs hitch weight:  Model Z 2900 Fifth Wheels | 2024 Brinkley RV

So that's using just under 15% of GVWR as tongue which is 14,495lbs.  GM's range of tongue is 15-25% of trailer weight, with the door jamb tag published (I'm sure for covering their a$$es) at 15%.  

A High Country (or Denali) will almost always offer the lowest payloads (but still quite high on these current gen T1 trucks).  Highest possible payloads on a 1 ton diesel crew cab standard bed 4x4 is 4185lbs so figure that is a WT with no options except for the 18 inch wheels (which are a higher load rated tire on there over the 17"s).  A loaded High Country, I'd expect it to be in the 3500-3700lbs payload range.  

Edited by newdude

15 hours ago, Michael Butts said:

I get that a gasser will give me more payload, but man, I can't go back to towing a 30+ foot trailer through the regular gas lanes.  Dealing with the general population is too stressful for me.

This is my second diesel and being able to get fuel in the commercial lanes is something that I don't want to give up. 

I guess I'll dig through the GM trailering guide again to see what unicorn I can find in a SRW that will tow this "midsize" fiver.  Or, just stop messing around & start shopping for a dually.

I added a 45 gallon in bed tank and pump, the tank is a legal aluminum gas rated tank. 

I tried loading a pic of tank and my 5ver hitch in the bed, but it loads upside down, so if someone can help me with that, i will load said pic right side up. 

Posted (edited)

OK, just posting the tank pic turns out normal, 45 gallons, approved aluminum gasoline/aircraft fuel/diesel. The hitch is in the reflection though.20240313_143112.thumb.jpg.d8b5491197047fccfeb1631d2a3410c5.jpg

Edited by lineman1234