Bed side weight rating

2024 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab short box 4x4.

Any idea how much weight the sides of the box are rated to carry? Or where I can look to find a rating?  My searches are failing.  The dealer is clueless.

I want to add racks for carrying ladders, pipe, boards, kayaks, etc. Probably no more than 300 lbs. Racks I've read about list a weight capacity for the racks but in the fine print say not to go over the trucks capacity. Which makes sense, I just have to find the trucks capacity....

There are also different mounting options. Some use the stake pockets, some sit on top the side and have a flange that goes down and clamps to the inside bed rail, some have a rail that mounts on top the bed side and the rack mounts to the rail. Any experience with which is best? I also want to add a tonneau cover so if anybody can recommend a cover and racks that play well together I'd love to hear about them.

10 minutes ago, sno1 said:

2024 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab short box 4x4.

Any idea how much weight the sides of the box are rated to carry? Or where I can look to find a rating?  My searches are failing.  The dealer is clueless.

I want to add racks for carrying ladders, pipe, boards, kayaks, etc. Probably no more than 300 lbs. Racks I've read about list a weight capacity for the racks but in the fine print say not to go over the trucks capacity. Which makes sense, I just have to find the trucks capacity....

There are also different mounting options. Some use the stake pockets, some sit on top the side and have a flange that goes down and clamps to the inside bed rail, some have a rail that mounts on top the bed side and the rack mounts to the rail. Any experience with which is best? I also want to add a tonneau cover so if anybody can recommend a cover and racks that play well together I'd love to hear about them.

BEDDD.thumb.png.593fa9baa4f9011e3249a5559c39378f.png

1 hour ago, sno1 said:

Thank you very much for this.  Don't know how I missed it but there it is right in the owners manual....I'm an idiot

They don't print the "full" manual like they used to so you might not have seen it in yours.  They now just print like a get to know your truck booklet.

Full owners manual can be found from Chevy online, in the radio or the MyChevrolet app, or can be purchased from Helm Inc.  

35 minutes ago, newdude said:

They don't print the "full" manual like they used to so you might not have seen it in yours.  They now just print like a get to know your truck booklet.

Full owners manual can be found from Chevy online, in the radio or the MyChevrolet app, or can be purchased from Helm Inc.  

I don't actually own the truck yet so I'm looking at the online manual, just failed to see it.  I saw the page # in your post so I checked and sure enough, there it is.

I'm trying to decide between GM and Ford🤮.  Each truck has things I like and things I don't like.  For what these things cost now I want to make sure it'll do what I want and hopefully some day I can get over the price and enjoy using it.

Thanks again for your assist, I do appreciate it

5 minutes ago, sno1 said:

I don't actually own the truck yet so I'm looking at the online manual, just failed to see it.  I saw the page # in your post so I checked and sure enough, there it is.

I'm trying to decide between GM and Ford🤮.  Each truck has things I like and things I don't like.  For what these things cost now I want to make sure it'll do what I want and hopefully some day I can get over the price and enjoy using it.

Thanks again for your assist, I do appreciate it

No problem.  

What are some of the pros/cons you are debating on for GM vs Ford for your decision?  

1 minute ago, newdude said:

No problem.  

What are some of the pros/cons you are debating on for GM vs Ford for your decision?  

I prefer the GM IFS over the Ford monobeam front axle.

Prefer GM bed, it's a little bigger, straighter sides, seems more "usable"

This is a generalization, but GM trucks tend to be easier to work on.  I'm just talking about the easy stuff that I can do myself; oil changes, brakes, replacing a starter, etc

The thing that I find most appealing about the Ford is driving it.  I like the seating position better, the feel of the seat, and the view out the windshield.  The GM hood is too high and seat too low.  Now this is very subjective and only applies to me.

I prefer the 7.3 in the Ford, not a fan of direct injection in GM. (gas engines)

I'm ready to be swayed one way or the other.........

6 minutes ago, sno1 said:

I prefer the GM IFS over the Ford monobeam front axle.

Prefer GM bed, it's a little bigger, straighter sides, seems more "usable"

This is a generalization, but GM trucks tend to be easier to work on.  I'm just talking about the easy stuff that I can do myself; oil changes, brakes, replacing a starter, etc

The thing that I find most appealing about the Ford is driving it.  I like the seating position better, the feel of the seat, and the view out the windshield.  The GM hood is too high and seat too low.  Now this is very subjective and only applies to me.

I prefer the 7.3 in the Ford, not a fan of direct injection in GM. (gas engines)

I'm ready to be swayed one way or the other.........

I was deciding between the F250 and 2500 and I was even in talks with a known dealership on the ford truck forum but I also preferred the ifs. It rides much better day to day and also I saw and still see many more engine problems and absolute failed on the 7.3 vs 6.6. I have yet to see more than a few oil use posts but no failures of the 6.6 (mine uses none, most don’t here) and I like the look of the Chevy. IMO the ford looks too soft with the totally round wheel wells and that sloping side window. I prefer the shape of the Chevy wells(I did not like the older ones that were totally square) and also like the normal side windows on the Chevy. 

Also like the Chevy still has hydro boost brakes. Ford doesn’t. 

10 minutes ago, Pryme said:

I was deciding between the F250 and 2500 and I was even in talks with a known dealership on the ford truck forum but I also preferred the ifs. It rides much better day to day and also I saw and still see many more engine problems and absolute failed on the 7.3 vs 6.6. I have yet to see more than a few oil use posts but no failures of the 6.6 (mine uses none, most don’t here) and I like the look of the Chevy. IMO the ford looks too soft with the totally round wheel wells and that sloping side window. I prefer the shape of the Chevy wells(I did not like the older ones that were totally square) and also like the normal side windows on the Chevy. 

Also like the Chevy still has hydro boost brakes. Ford doesn’t. 

Granger Ford?  I'm also on a Ford forum trying to get as much info as possible.  There are some extremely smart and helpful people on these forums.....as well as some less pleasant

I was nervous about the oil usage, but there are so few reports I decided not to worry about that, anything mass produced is going to have a few duds.  I am VERY concerned about Fords quality control and high number of recalls.

When I talk about GM I'm referring to both GMC and Chevrolet.  As far as appearance I like the GMC but of course that's just personal opinion and we all like different things.  Appearance isn't at the top of my priority list, I put function first.  If the best functioning is also the best looking then that's a win-win.

I've only driven one Chevy and one Ford, and they were a couple weeks apart, but I really preferred driving the Ford.  I need to make time to go drive a couple more on the same day....

Good point about the brakes

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sno1 said:

Granger Ford?  I'm also on a Ford forum trying to get as much info as possible.  There are some extremely smart and helpful people on these forums.....as well as some less pleasant

I was nervous about the oil usage, but there are so few reports I decided not to worry about that, anything mass produced is going to have a few duds.  I am VERY concerned about Fords quality control and high number of recalls.

When I talk about GM I'm referring to both GMC and Chevrolet.  As far as appearance I like the GMC but of course that's just personal opinion and we all like different things.  Appearance isn't at the top of my priority list, I put function first.  If the best functioning is also the best looking then that's a win-win.

I've only driven one Chevy and one Ford, and they were a couple weeks apart, but I really preferred driving the Ford.  I need to make time to go drive a couple more on the same day....

Good point about the brakes

Yes granger. I still peek at the ford truck forum but there is so much bickering and blabbing on there I rarely do anymore. This forum is more adult imo. 

another thing I remember reading is a very high amount of leaking truck threads over there, as in water leaking into the cab. Sounds terrible. I’m very happy with my truck choice though. 

Edited by Pryme

1 minute ago, Pryme said:

Yes granger. I still peek at the ford truck forum but there is so much bickering and blabbing on there I rarely do anymore. This forum is more adult imo. 

another thing I remember reading is a very high amount of leaking truck threads over there, as in water leaking into the cab. Sounds terrible. I’m very happy with my truck choice though. 

Some of the bickering is like a bunch of 6 year olds, makes it hard to follow some of the threads, much prefer this forum.  Another plus for GM

Very glad to hear you're happy with your truck!  Hope I will be just as happy one of these days.....

Did I mention I'm having a hard time adjusting to current prices?

I think I may have messed up with my original post.  Wondering if I should re-post the second portion asking for advice on racks in the mods portion of this forum?

Just to jump in here, I’m a Chevy truck guy but…..

I spend a lot of time underneath my truck. I will spend an inordinate amount of time and money directed toward the transmission. I did the same with my 2018.

I bought this truck to tow my boat and travel trailer. So far, so good but…..

I only have 4500 miles on it. Still, it rides better than  my 2003 Duramax. The engine appears to be built (6.6l gas) for towing rather than speed and that’s what I wanted. Slow but reliable. 

Good luck with your search!

1 hour ago, Capt Bob said:

Just to jump in here, I’m a Chevy truck guy but…..

I spend a lot of time underneath my truck. I will spend an inordinate amount of time and money directed toward the transmission. I did the same with my 2018.

I bought this truck to tow my boat and travel trailer. So far, so good but…..

I only have 4500 miles on it. Still, it rides better than  my 2003 Duramax. The engine appears to be built (6.6l gas) for towing rather than speed and that’s what I wanted. Slow but reliable. 

Good luck with your search!

Reliable is my #1 concern. 

What are you doing to your transmission?  The trans is another concern I have about the Ford, they use a plastic pan that I am not fond of.

45 minutes ago, sno1 said:

Reliable is my #1 concern. 

What are you doing to your transmission?  The trans is another concern I have about the Ford, they use a plastic pan that I am not fond of.

The ford also went to non serviceable everything that I’m aware of. They have one time use no zerks

14 minutes ago, Pryme said:

The ford also went to non serviceable everything that I’m aware of. They have one time use no zerks

Good point.  I believe GM still does?  I looked under the Ford I test drove and didn't see a single zerk.