Trucks you have owned

1994 Pontiac Grand AM GT- 3.1L 3100 V6, 16-inch Rims, Automatic, 2-Door, Fire Engine Red..............beautiful car...i just couldnt fit in it anymore (I'm 6 foot 5). My dad sold it to a guy at work, who religiously beat the piss out of it, from my 165,000 miles to his 256,000 miles, sold it to another college kid for $500 and that kid still drives it to this day.

1989 Chevrolet Scottsdale- 305 V8, 3.42 Rear End, Automatic, Long Bed, Navy Blue (with horrendous pink gridlines on the lower panels...an 80's Retro option)...........One of the strongest pickups i ever owned. It never left me stranded...ever. I drove all over Western New York on my own little "Roadtrips" and put 50,000 miles on it, hitting almost 200,000...before a Dodge Ram T-boned me at 60mph. I bought this off a guy at my dad's plant for $700. It had all new replacement parts, and brand new tires. Despite the gaping rust all over, this truck could have lived...a very long time.

1996 Chevrolet S-10-2.2L 118 Horse 4-Cylinder, 4L60e, 4.11 Rear End, Shortbed, Fire Engine Red. This was probably the slowest vehicle i have ever owned. At first I thought of it as a "safety" to getting speeding tickets, but found myself stuggling to get it up a hill. She was a stout little pig...only left me in trouble when the themostat went (and wasnt experienced enough to know how to change it). This truck was the first signifying truck that i physically did alot of work to. I changed all 4 shocks, added a leaf, changed numerous engine parts on my own, and learned the ways of a vehicle inside and out from this little truck. She was a good truck, dont get me wrong...she hauled her weight in gold (next to my dad's F150)...especially the day we cleaned the garage out, and hauled an entire 1950's GE Fridge, Rebar, and 4 rims, all snug in the back...despite my dad's words of "you arent gunna fit all that in there". Sadly, her torque converter went, and with alot of other things needed fixing, (exhaust, dent in the side from an old lady backing into it while parked), and the fact that from day 1 it hurt to get in and out of this little pickup, i decided it wasnt worth to fix it, from the $2000 i still owed on it. So i traded her in...to go back to the full size game...

1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS- 4.3L V6, 3.08 Rear End, Shortbed. I absolutly love this truck. It had pretty much everything needed for the Z85 package, and i'm surprised it didnt come with it...it sits much higher all the way around than a couple stock trucks i've parked next to...even had a few buddys do a double take when i told them that it WASN'T 4-Wheel Drive. I threw in new shocks after i bought it...heavy duty gas-charged rears. It's a mean looking truck, and i loved driving the thing home from the Upstate Chevy/Olds that day, as my dad looked at his ageing 1998 Ford F150, and kept looking inside my truck saying "wow...this thing is enormous...this is a gorgeous truck".

2 weeks later, he went out and bought a 2002 GMC Sierra.

For those of you Ford/Chevy Converts, you know the size difference. Those 1997-2003 trucks were small in the interior. I even noticed it when i bought my Chevy. Although Ford then went and beefed up their interior size...we do take our space for granted. Ford F-150's from 97-03 really were small on the inside. Try driving with your dad 8 hours to another state to pick up a boat...in a 100,000+ mile Ford F-150, that you really didnt know if it was going to make it home or not :rant:

Well, thats my story...love resurrecting old posts :cry:

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'02 Z71 Tahoe Just got it, love it!

'97 Tahoe LT - With 140k on the clock it was still a great truck

'95 Jimmy SLT

'90 Jeep Wrangler - More my 'covertible' than my truck (owned '90-'05)

'86 Jeep Commanche SLT - Pretty truck, musta been a female, no ballz

'82 Dodge Rampage :rant: Fun little truck!

'70 K5 Blazer - Dads from new to 79, mine 79 to 95, gave it to my nephew who still has it.

1st. 1977 Ford F150 reg cab. flare side 4wd, 400cid V8 auto - Rusty but trusty, gas hog.

2nd. 1992 Ford F150 reg cab. flare side 2wd, 300cid I-6 5sp - Fine, but typical Ford weird design for maintenance, not user friendly (try to find the rear tank fuel filter, have to drop the tank, its stuck between the frame and tank :cry: ).

3rd. 1996 Ford F150 reg cab fleetside 4wd OR, 302cid V8, auto - Nice, but this body style didn't have quite good interior ergo's.

4th. 1991 Chevy K10 Blazer 4wd, 350cid V8 700R4 - Rusty body. Bought with bum engine, bought a crate GM 350HO/330hp but didn't know enough to get it to work right, pulled the engine (which I still have, what to do with???) and got rid of the truck.

5th. 2006 GMC K1500 ext cab style side 4wd Z85, 5.3HO V8 4L60E - absolutely love it. :):rant:

My dad loves the simple things to make maintenance easier on my GMC compared to his Dodge Ram 1500. For instance, try to replace the headlight bulb. This process in the GMC/Chevy is easy, but in the Dodge its a pain!

Sometimes a little extra is better. That is another reason (among many) I switched to GM for trucks than from Ford.

1987 Chevy S10 - Great truck, very good, well over 100,000 miles

1987 Jeep Comanche - AMC truck not Chrsler. Best truck I will ever own. To this day it is better than anything on the road and was years ahead of its time. Fully boxed frame, unibody, 4.0L I6 couldn't be beat. If I had the choice to go back in time an pick up a new one vs. anything on the road today, I wouldn't hesitate. In 17yrs of ownership (sold in 2004) one problem, clutch. Over 160,000 miles when sold, clean.

2004 Ford F150 (NBS) - Hunk of scrap iron, never buy a ford again. Lemon Law took care of it for me

2004 GMC Sierra - Middle of the road. Nice power and good looking. Lots of little nit-picky warranty items (to numerous to list) piston slap is aggravation. 25000 miles on it now and seems to be holding up.

1958 Apache: Purchased in 1995. 235 straight six, 3 spd. Pro: it's a great lookin truck Con: It needs a full restoration

1967 C-10 shortbed stepside. Purchased in 1996. 350/700R4/3.73 rear end. In process of restoration. Pro: one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen, AND it has power disk brakes and handles and drives GREAT! Con: Fuel mileage, but with 700R4 it now gets 16 mpg highway.

1986 Toyota truck. Owned 3 of these purchased in 1996, 97, and 2001. Pro: fuel mileage. Con: NO POWER, uncomfortable, too small, unreliable, rust and dent easily, poor handling. I HATE TOYOTA TRUCKS.

2000 Silverado purchased April '05. 5.3L/4L60E/3.73 rear extended cab shortbox. Pro: best overall truck I have ever driven/owned. Con: NONE

1980 Chevy LUV 4x4. This was my first vehicle. I got it for $500 when i was 15 and spent a over a year redoing it and making it what i wanted. I fixed the body, repainted it, lifted it 3" and put 30" tires in it. It lookd pretty cool and was fun to drive and was very unique, there was nothing like it on the road. I also replaced the 4banger with a Buick 231 v6 and redid the interior, i also did a power steering conversion. After having it on the road for 8 months i got slammed by a drunk and it was totalled. If not for that i would most likley still have this truck, not as a daily driver but i would dtill have it.

1984 Ford Ranger 4x4. I bought this to replace the LUV. After owing it for two months and hating the way it drove and replacing two head gaskets i sold it. the 2.8l v6 it had had zero power too. This was my first and last Ford.

1983 Chevy S10 Pickup 4x4. This was the Ranger replacement. The proior owner had done a v8 coversion and it had a 350 in it. It was pretty fun to drive and had a ton of power. The onyl problem was the tranny. It had the Borg Warnet t4 maunal in it and the v8 chewed them up pretty easily.

1984 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 My father and i "swapped" trucks when i was in college because he wanted a new one and i wanted something more reliable then the 83 i had. He traded in my 83 on his new blazer and i took his 84 that had 85k on the clock but had been trouble free. He was able to get more for the truck then he would have for the blazer so it was a good deal for both of us. The Blazer had the 2.8l motor and a 4 speed manual tranny. I drove that Blazer for 4 years and when i got rid of it it had almost 200k on the clock. This Blazer was bar none the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned. The only repair it ever needed other then normal maint was a rear main at 175k, i put a clutch in it too at that time. Other then that it just ran. It was basic, no as, manual everything, rubber floor and vinal seats but it ran.

1993 GMC Sonoma 2wd. This was my first "new" truck. This onw had the 200hp cpi 4.3l motor and 3.73 gears in it. It was a ton of fun to drive and was even more fun when i beefed up the motor. I took it to the strip a lot and hat it running in the low 14's on street tires. It was very quick for a v6 with no nitrous or supercharger. I had a lot of fun dusting off 5.0l mustangs in it. The only real problem with this truck it that it was cursed. It was hit more times then the lottery in the three years it had it. Three times in parking lots, rear ended 4 times, hit in the drivers door once, "merged into" on a 3 lane road once and the final straw was the drunk that hit it and totalled it when it was parked in front of my girlfriends apartment. Good thing nobody was in it a the time, they sould have been killed. The drunk hit it doing over 80+ and it was really totalled.

1997 Chevy Blazer 2door 4x4. I also bought this one new. I drove it for 3+ years and it was a pretty good truck. This one had the 200hp 4.3l 5 speed manual. Not too long after i got this truck i bought my first bassboat. I towed that boat all over the place with this Blazer and i traded it with 150k on the clock. Overall i really liked this blazer. It was mostly problem free, got decent gas milage( almost 20 city) and was fun to drive. The only things i didnt like about it was all the squeaks from the plastic panels inside( my 82 never had these because they were screwed in not held in with clips), no rear view because of the tire and the wheelbase was too short for towing. It really danced around with the boat on the back. It also had terrible brakes.

2000 GMC Sonoma ext cab 4wd. This truck was also bought new. It had the 200hp 4.3 and an automatic tranny. This truck was by far the worst vehicle i have ever owned. After it had about 15k on the clock it just started to fall apart. 2 tranny's, 4 front diffs, motor problem, electrical problems. You name it it was broken. The worst issue was the front diffs, it had this problem where it would "self engage" the 4wd but only halfway lock the front hubs. That rippd apart the diffs. I tradeded it with only 45k on it. The onyl thing i liked about it was the brakes, much better then the 97 blazers. The truck was at the dealer constantly, i had to dump it.

2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 sport. I bought this one new to replace the Sonoma junk box. Overall i really liked this truck. It drove great and was mostly problem free, it wasnt too small nor too big. This had the 4.7l v8 and 5 speed auto tranny and 3.92 gears. It towed great and i upgraded to a bigger heavier bassboat. The 4.7l motor had plenty of power and i never had problem one with the tranny. The 4 door quad cab was nice, very roomy in back. The only issue i had with this truck was a bad head, the gasket surface wasnt machined properly and the head gasket lleaked and pressurised the cooling system blowing out all the coolant and making it overheat, this happened with about 20k on the truck. After they replaced the heads i put another 100k on the truck problem free for the most part. The two things that stand out in my mind that i didnt like. The gas milage was downright abismal, 12.5 city, 15 freeway and about 11 towing. It never got better then that. The other was the brakes, the front rotors warped really easily and i had to change them more often then i would have liked. otherwise i was very happy with this truck, if they didnt change the body style i might have bought another.

2006 Chevy Silverado Ext cab LT3 4wd z71. I have had this truck for about a month and i only have about 1400 mikes on it. so far i really like it. The leather seats are nice, it rides great and the Bose system sounds pretty good. I have the 310hp 5.3l in this truck and it feels plenty strong. The tghing that impresses me the most about this truck in the short time i have had it is the gas milage. Im getting close to 15 city( i havent really done a highway trip or towing to find those out yet) and its still breaking in. If the highway and towing milage is as impressive as the city is for a full sized truck im going to be a happy camper. I was shopping another Dodge ( Ram hemi)before i got this truck, but since i work for a gm supplier and get a great discount it was a no brainer. The price on the Dodge couldnt touch the Chevy and i liked both trucks equally and the Chevy is nicer from a feature standpoint and has a much better ride and better gas milage. So far im very happy with my choice, the only thing i wish i had got in this truck that i dont have is a sunroof otherwise it had everythign i wanted and more.

First truck: 1989 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. 2.3 I40 (4 cyl) with manual transmission.

This truck was pretty nice and reliable. When I got the truck, it still had original hoses and belts. The transmission started going out at 180,000 miles, and I didn't feel like replacing it. I traded it in for my next truck.

Second truck: 1999 Chevy S10 LS regular cab. 4.3 V6 with automatic transmission.

This truck kicked ass. It was a dealer demo truck, so it had mixed features that didn't match standard configurations on the lot. It had a lot of pep, and I didn't get ran over by anybody. I traded it in due to some minor frame damage from a severe pothole and the paint started to crack (it was black).

3rd and current truck: 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT regular cab. 4.3 V6 with manual transmission.

This was a custom order truck for me. I don't do a lot of heavy loads, so the V6 in this truck is fine by me. Since it has the same engine as my previous truck, I know my way around it. These days I don't haul ass, so I sit back and enjoy the ride. I have been adding things to it, and I must say it is very nice to own a Silverado.

1st truck: 1987 mazda B2200 SE, 2WD, regular cab, 5 speed manual, A/C. Nice little truck, good fuel economy, but meager power. I did not like the regular cab too much, the seat was not very comfortable

2nd truck: 1982 Datsun (Nissan) king cab with a 4 cylinder diesel engine, 2WD, 5 speed manual, A/C, aluminum topper. Did not keep this one for long. Fuel economy was not the greatest (about 22 MPG) and it was slow. One positive thing about this diesel engine was that it did not have either timing belt or chain - the cam was gear driven by the crankshaft. It also did not have a double wall bed, which meant that anything in the bed could easily ding the sides. I disliked the twin tailgate latches as well (remember those on the old Toyota trucs too?)

3rd truck: 1989 Ford Ranger extended cab, 2WD, 2.9 liter V6, 5 speed manual transmission, A/C, cruise, Brahma topper. I liked this truck. The seats were nice, transmission smooth shifting, fuel economy not bad at 20 MPG. Power was not exceptional, but adequate. It had multiple port fuel injectoion. OEM tires were crappy Firestones. Practically no problems with this truck.

4th truck: 1989 Dodge Raider, V6, 4X4, 5 speed manual, A/C, off-road package, limited slip differential, factory alloy wheels. A very capable off-road vehicle. It would go places where many other 4X4s could not because of its short wheelbase and excellent engine. Fuel economy was good - almost 20 MPG overall.

5th truck: 1995 Nissan SE V6 pickup, king cab, 4X4, 5 speed manual, A/C, power windows, locks, cruise, tilt, factory sunroof, alloy wheels, 31X10.5R15 tires, limited slip, tow package. I kept this truck for 10 years. Excellent engine, unfortunately low on power. Never burned a drop of oil. Had very few problems with this one. Not nearly as good off-road as Dodge Raider, despite the larrge wheels. The engine did not have sufficient torque to handle tires that big. 153 HP and 180 ft-lbs of torque was nothing to write home about. To compensate, the truck had very low gearing. The fuel economy was not that great - about 17 MPG overall.

6th truck (present): 2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 crew cab, 4X4, 5.3 V8, 4L60E, 3.73 locking differential, tow package, LT1 package, alloy wheels, XM radio, power seat. My first full size truck, and my first automatic transmission truck. It has a cavernous interior compared to every other truck I owned. Definitely the quietest truck so far, and has good power, but the biggest gas guzzler so far. About 15-16 MPG. I would have preferred a manual transmission but GM does not offer one in this version of Z71. No problems so far, but it has only 2K miles on it.

1986 Ford F150 2WD -- Pros: 5.0L V-8 FIrst with Fuel Injection made starting on cold mornings much easier. Nice Auto transmission but with occassional jerky shift from 1st to 2nd, A/C blew very cold, front vent windows, high beam switch on floor instead of on turn signal, dual fuel tanks for great range. Cons: inner door panels faded after 3 years and started to flake, factory radio went bad under warranty only to be shipped off by dealer and lost

1994 Ford F-150 -- Loved the vehicle

1997 -- Green Extended Cab Chevy with 350 and Auto. Pros: Loved It! Cons: Some thief did too and it was never recovered.

1998 -- Red Z-71 Pros: This is a great work truck and great off-road. Cons: Only has three doors on extended cab.

1998 -- White Extended Cab Z-71 Pros: Leased great truck. Cons: Loaned to my brother who bent the frame offroading.

1998 -- Chevy 2WD with 350 -- Pros: Leased Cons: Small electric fire in instrument cluster.

2001 Chevy Extended Cab Green Z-71 Pros: Everything -- I love this truck. Cons: I don't have more time to spend polishing it!!

2004 Chevy Extended Cab Red Z-71 Pros: Leather, All Options Cons: gas Mileage

1972 Chevy custom longbed, 350 auto 2wd

pros:none

cons:truck was pieced togeter, pretty much a junker

1985 Toyota reg cab shortbed, 4 cyl. 4 speed 2wd

pros:30 mpg, reliable

cons:too small for a tall person, and for towing

1990 chevy silv. reg cab shortbed, 350 auto 2wd

pros:close to 20 mpg, reliable, almost indestructable

cons:many rattles, door sagging, broken glove box hinges

1999 gmc sierra sle reg cab shortbed, 5.3 auto 2wd

pros:good hp and mileage, reliable

cons:not many user programmable features such as door locks,

auto headlights, etc., poor brakes, not enough low end torque, very soft

suspension, not good for towing.

2000 gmc sierra slt ext cab shortbed z71 5.3 auto

pros:better hp and tq than the 1999, quieter than the 1999, user programmable

features, nice mileage for this size vehicle (17+ mpg)

cons:leather seats worn badly, leaf spring noise at acceleration

2004 gmc yukon slt 5.3 auto

pros:decent mileage (17-18mpg), nice hp and tq, comfortable and smooth.

cons:rattles in steering shaft and sunroof, many blind spots in rear of vehicle,

difficult to drive when windy, computer controlled throttle and stabilitrac system

limitations.

89-s10 shortcab baja edition-Man it was a great first truck, tiny but for the time was a fun truck to own.Loved the metal tube bumpers and roll bar with the kc lights, great in the woods because of it's tiny size.

95-s10 zr2 ext cab- Good truck but a 100% gm lemon, i would list the problems i had with it but do not wish to break this server with the lenght the post would become! :sigh: It was by far a great looking truck but over sized tires with the same s10 suspension caused many many ball-joint and especially idler arm issues.

05-silverado ext cab z71-So far so good got 11k on the clock and just over a year of owning it, and have had one steering shaft issue and a pcm update which is damm good in my opinion for a year of owning it.Without question this is the most confortable truck ive ever owned, ofcourse it is still very new to me anyways so time will tell how well it holds up.

1982 Ford F-100- flat head six, column shift three speed. Great truck, put almost three hundred thousand on it with very few problems.

1987 Ford Bronco XLT- probably the worst vehicle I ever owned. A huge money dump! Ate rotors, pads, bearings, tires, head gaskets and drank oil. Nice size wheel base for off-roading though.

1994 GMC Sierra Ext. Cab 2WD, 5.0L- Hard working truck and very reliable. Had to get rid of it because we bought a house in the Sierras and needed 4WD.

2000 Silverado LS Ext. Cab Z71- Another trouble-free GM truck and I beat the hell out of this one.

2006 Silverado LT1 Ext. Cab Z71, 5.3HO, 4.10- I really like the improvements that GM has made along the way with this model. 17" wheels, 310 hp. engine, better braking, no more rear end clunk. I'm hoping to get the same performance with this one that I got with the last two.

82 Chevy Silverado :sigh: - One of these should be in all of our garages. It was a classic that had been well taken care of with a lift and great sound system. This truck is the epitomy of American trucks! :flag: The V8 was very powerful. I would buy this truck again in a heartbeat and would strongly recommend.

86 Ford Ranger - Big time lift on this truck. Rolled it 3 1/2 times off-roading and lived to tell about it. Luckily I had my seatbelt on, otherwise I would be dead or without some limbs. If your young and reading this... always remember to buckle up! :cool: The V6 was limited on power, but it was fun anyhow. I would buy this truck again and would recommend.

87 Chevy Blazer K Series :thumbs: - Actually I cant remember if it was an 87, so I might be wrong on the year. This was a super clean truck and I had a huge sound system in the back. They dont make SUVs like that anymore. I liked the wide body and the captains chairs. :cheers: You could easily walk between the front seats to get into the back. I would buy this truck again in a heartbeat and would strongly recommend.

92 Ford F-350 - One word, Power. This truck had a 460 and was strong as hell! Even though it was used when I got it - the truck ran strong. This was a big dually that was super easy to drive. :jester: Took it across country and back and lost the AC during the trip. No other problems though. I would buy this truck again in a heartbeat and would strongly recommend.

95 Ford F-150 - First ever brand new truck. It was a sufficient V6 with a well designed interior. This was an Eddie Bauer series truck with a manual transmission. I enjoyed this truck alot and have always been happy with the Ford product. :driving: Have yet to buy Ford new again. I would buy this truck again and would recommend.

96 Dodge Ram 1500 - A great truck that was fun to race. Tranny started slipping really bad in the later years of ownership... but that is to be expected for a Chrysler product. :bs: Also lost the freeze plugs a couple of years into owning it. A cheap part but an all day process of changing them out. Gotta undo the motor mounts and lift the motor. Did that with a neighbor who guided me through the process. Cost to fix about $5 bucks. A mechanic would have and could have charged $500 dollars for the labor intensive job! :dupe: Time, energy and stress... holy s**t why did my freeze plugs rust through at 38K miles? I am hesitant about the Dodge product. Maybe the new Hemi series will help them out. I would still recommend the brand - but I would consider an extended warranty.

99 Ford F-250 - Overall a good truck. Strong motor with the Triton V10. Not sure if I would buy that motor again though - especially with gas prices. :confused: Would recommend if you need to pull a tank.

04 Titan - Probably would not buy again even with deep deep discounts. :mad: Steer clear of this truck! :D Nissan has alot of catching up to do if they want my business again. I have another post out on the boards comparing the Titan and the Z71. There I talk about my problems with the truck. Maybe after I get some warranty work done my mind will steer back around but right now :nono: - I am not impressed. Would not recommend.

05 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 :D - So far I really like the Chevy product. This is my first new Chevy and I certainly recommend the truck! It is very comfy and the seats are like a LazyBoy. :P There are some power mods that I would like to add - but I am carefully considering them before spending cash. This truck rocks and I strongly recommend the product. Would strongly recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my list of GM trucks owned, complete with the pro's and con's of each. 

Uh, yeah... I like your list of proS and conS about your pickup trucks. That's cool. (But-uh... well, I'm no English teacher or anything, but for future reference, ya don't need an apostrophe in basic [not possessive at the same time] plurals--no "pro's and con's," just "pros and cons").

1988 Ford Ranger STX 4x4 single cab, 2.9L v6 5 speed. Had a s**t load of miles, got it for a grand, put new heads on it, should of just rebuilt or swapped the motor, cause the lower bearings made a lot of noise, and i had a cylinder low. Great truck though, went anywhere, including 5 feet in the air, learned a ton lifting it and trying little things to make it smooth over whoops and stuff. pretty loud too no muffler lol.

ranger27tk.jpg

1987 Toyota 4runner, 4x4 22re 4cyl 5 speed, black rockcrawler rims, bigger Yokahama Geolander A/T tires. Bought it for 2500, had a head gasget leak, which turned out to be a cracked head, so i replaced the whole engine.

Likes: Great off road, fits 5 people, top came off, i could pull fullsize trucks out with that little 4cyl, it was fun to drive.

Dislikes: Horrible paint job, Crashed it twice, Engine always missed a little.

URL=http://imageshack.us]p10100085ig.jpg[/url]

1991 Ford f150 ext cab 4x4 5.0L v8 6in procomp lift, 33in tires, dual tanks, billet grill, tinted windows, magnaflo exhaust

Big, could tow my boat, chicks digged it, good sounding exhaust, clean

Dislikes:

Lots of front end noise, Slow, horrible gas mileage(you needed both those tankslol), not geared correctly

f15058zp.jpg

Archived