Brake Replacement

I am about to try and replace the Front and Rear pads and Rotors on my 99 GMC Sierra 4X4... all wheel discs.

I have never done this myself on the truck... have done it many times on my car.

What are some of the things I need to look out for? Or are there any special how tos I need to know?

Thanks

I am about to try and replace the Front and Rear pads and Rotors on my 99 GMC Sierra 4X4... all wheel discs.

I have never done this myself on the truck... have done it many times on my car.

What are some of the things I need to look out for? Or are there any special how tos I need to know?

Thanks

If you've done it on a car, no problem on your truck. A couple things to think about.

1> Pulling the rear rotors is tough if the ebrake has worn. Just work it back and forth to remove.

2> Upgrade to the new ebrake shoe and clip.

3> Make sure you open the bleeders when you compress the piston back into the caliper. If you don't. you could push contaminates into the abs circuits.

4> Flush your brake fluid.

5> Don't bother turning old rotors as they will warp instantaneously. Just replace with new.

6> Make sure you properly torque the wheel lugs. Use star pattern, 3 step torque. Frequent reports of warping rotors due to improper torquing.

7> Make sure you properly "Bed" the brakes before hard use. Proper bedding can "make or break" new brake components.

If you want better performance, change to braided SS brake lines. I am also a big fan of Praise Dyno brakes as an upgrade to the stock brakes.

Good Luck.

i have done mine and its not too bad. just be sure to have a breaker bar to unbolt the calipers. especially on a 99 those things are probably pretty well stuck.

get new caliper slide pins and plenty of the appropriate grease for them. this was actually the reason why my front brakes needed to be redone, because one of the slide pin was messed up.

these were hard to find (ie impossible without ordering ahead), so get them before you start!

you will need a torx 55 on the front brakes!

I am sure there was more that i learned, but thats all i can remember for now!

I just did a complete brake job on mine with Praise Dyno parts. Bish is right on...one thing to add...be very careful when cracking the bleeder screws. One of mine was frozen and broke off, resulting in getting a new caliper. I went thru the "bedding" process, and so far I have noticed a BIG improvement in braking performance...worth the extra $$. :chevy:

i have done mine and its not too bad.  just be sure to have a breaker bar to unbolt the calipers.  especially on a 99 those things are probably pretty well stuck. 

get new caliper slide pins and plenty of the appropriate grease for them.  this was actually the reason why my front brakes needed to be redone, because one of the slide pin was messed up.   

these were hard to find (ie impossible without ordering ahead), so get them before you start!

you will need a torx 55 on the front brakes!

I am sure there was more that i learned, but thats all i can remember for now!

Good call on the caliper slides/grease. Often missed and can cause immediate problems if they are sticking.

Best way to do your brakes:

Start truck.

Drive to local tructed auto shop.

instruct them to replace brakes.

pay bill.

drive truck home.

AMEN brotha! :chevy: . . .let's see, spend an entire weekend day, get frustrated and pissed off, have to buy new tools and parts - VS - paying somebody ~5hrs of my wages while I look up hot chicks in the waiting room magazines for under an hour. I'll take the chicks :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh come on guys a whole weekend day?

I have a gravel/dirt driveway and a floor jack it takes less than an hour to change the front rotors and pads on my 1997 4x4 Yukon 4door.

I have a realy heavy foot so my breaks pay the price.

I change them on average every 60 days.

Usually due to warped rotors.

I have heard tail of LIFETIME Guaranted rotors form O'reily auto parts.

I will investigate this. Lets just see if I can change their minds about LIFETIME replacement ;)

Oh come on guys a whole weekend day?

I have a gravel/dirt driveway and a floor jack it takes less than an hour to change the front rotors and pads on my 1997 4x4 Yukon 4door.

I have a realy heavy foot so my breaks pay the price.

I change them on average every 60 days.

Usually due to warped rotors.

I have heard tail of LIFETIME Guaranted rotors form O'reily auto parts.

I will investigate this. Lets just see if I can change their minds about LIFETIME replacement ;)

Be careful not to strip the caliper bolts with your torx. I think

they are about $20.00 a piece to replace.

How do you go about doing the "break in" pprocedure??

What type of grease should be used for the slider bolts??

Archived