How many of ya have block heaters..

phat97yukon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey just a stupid Question.. How many of ya guys have block heaters in your trucks? and actualy use em.. i have a 97 and doesnt have one, not that im overly worried i made it threw the worst of last winter no problemo, just with a optima redtop and a carstarter..

I've got one, but likely will never use it unless it goes below -25 deg C.

• 2 years later...
I plug mine in every night! Even with dual batteries on this buggie it's slow to crank without plugging it in. Other vehicle runs with synthetics "Mobile 1" oil, it doesn't have a block heater.

:puke::sigh:

About the slow cranking over: might be a bad connection from your battery to your engine/starter/something. My truck turns over slower than other 1500s from the same year range, and its a brand new Delco battery.

I have a block heater. Use it every chance I get below -15. Its hard on an engine to cold start it, so plugging in the block heater is well worth the longevity of your engine ^_^. Curse the constant cold of winter...

• 1 year later...

When I was looking to buy, the dealer had 2 trucks priced about the same with the same features. Only 1 had a block heater and the other had the skid plates. I took the one with the skid plates. I had no need to pay for a block heater that I would never use. I have never used one and never will. But thats just me. :(

I've got one. Obviously I'm not dumb enough to use it unless its going to be colder than -15c since it has the stupid thermostat. In my other vehicles I always plug them in whenever its much colder than freezing. Even though the engine dosent need it you get heat much faster with it plugged in, especially when you leave it plugged in when your letting the vehicle warm up in the morning :(

Im up in Anchorage and I have one on mine. Most of the time it gets parked in the garage. If its left outside and its winter, I plug it in. I notice a huge difference in warmup time when its plugged in. If its left outside and there is frost on the windows, it keeps me from having to scrape if I just let it warmup for a couple minutes after being plugged in.

I have mine modified. My 06 had one of those 'environmentally' sensitive plugs that don't come on until it's -20 below 0. But wanting to ensure my engine is nice and warm (and babying her), I cut off the end with the sensor and replaced the end with a generic plug end.

Plus throw in my battery warmer and cabin heater. She's all toasty w'aarm when I hop into her for me drive ta work.

Mind you, I do live in Calgary where our average morning temperature is consistently below -20C since December. Cept this week it's -10C - -2C.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

i use my block heater and CTEK multitek 3300 battery trickle charger everyday in the -15 and colder (-40) in Saskatchewan as i park it outside during 12 hour shifts. i dont plug it in when its in my garage unless its -40 outside.

i also use a full synthetic oil which is great for winter cold starts, and i always let it warm up a few minutes in the winter.

• 3 months later...

Archived