Steering wheel off by 45* after pitman arm change

andymiller

Went to have my front end aligned and they said they couldn't do it until the pitman arm was changed. Said it was worn out. They wanted $250 parts and labor. I bought it at autozone for $20 and did it in 3 hours.

But my steering wheel is off by 45 degrees. The keyways on the pitman arm is at 90 degree intervals. So I don't think I messed that up.

I thought I'd be clevor and move the steering wheel. But you can't Its keyed in a way you can only install it straight up or 180 out upside down.

Where went wrong??

• 1 month later...
Went to have my front end aligned and they said they couldn't do it until the pitman arm was changed. Said it was worn out. They wanted $250 parts and labor. I bought it at autozone for $20 and did it in 3 hours.

But my steering wheel is off by 45 degrees. The keyways on the pitman arm is at 90 degree intervals. So I don't think I messed that up.

I thought I'd be clevor and move the steering wheel. But you can't Its keyed in a way you can only install it straight up or 180 out upside down.

Where went wrong??

I don't have an answer to your question. I had the exact same problem though when I did mine. Did you ever find out what caused it? You posted a month ago so I thought I'd ask.

• 1 month later...

Where went wrong??

I ran into the same issue. Even with a puller, I needed a torch and hammer to get the pitman free from the steering spline. I'm wondering if the excessive hammering I had to do to get the pitman off may have caused something to jump a gear in the steering box. Turning radius is still balanced. Can anyone offer a real explanation/solution?

• 1 month later...

while changing the pitman arm you are messing with toe in and out,wich moves the steering wheel and that you would need an alignment to correct. the easiest way to explain it would be toe was adjusted one side a little bit more it gives the same effect no pulling,no decrease in turn radius but the steering wheel would not be centered. It needs to go on a rack and have the steering wheel locked into position while toe is adjusted to correct it. -Paul

• 3 weeks later...
I need to replace my pitman arm soon and now i'm afraid my wheel will be off.

Hey Guys, I usually don't hang here I'm a SilveradoSS.com guy... but I was lurking and thought I could help out.

It's a good rule of thumb to at least have the tow-in set at the alignment shop after any parts replacement in the front end.

If the steering wheel is off it's a simple process to adjust it. loosen on tie rod clamp and move it a certain amount of turns the cinch the bolts and turn the other the exact amount the same direction. This will maintain wheel setting but it's not as good as you'll get in the alignment shop. When in doubt, whip it out (the checkbook that is!) lol...

Cheers

• 4 months later...

A quick way to check is to turn the steering wheel to lock then turn back in the other direction counting the turns as you go to lock then go half the turns back your wheel should be straight and you pitman arm should be pointed straight in line with the steering box or very close to it. the steering box output shaft can bend but it takes a heck of a hit to do it (Accident, curb). also tie rods should measure about the same length. In a pinch you can do a quick toe adjust with two pieces of plywood held flat against the outside of the wheels with cinder blocks.hold the steering wheel from turning, then measure between the plywood with a tape measure and subtract the low measurement from the high measurement this will give you your toe (in smaller front/out smaller rear) amount.

• 2 years later...

hey new to here . been gm tech 20 yrs. you need to buy the more expensitive part.

if you take the cheaper part ie . the 6 month warrenty vs. the life time one . go to the parts store and get both out.

hold the pitman arms with the stud facing you and up look at the splineed area you will see the master spline is moved over almost 1 tooth to the left (i think) that is what is throwing your steering wheel off 1/4 turn. and yes they come off hard sometimes and yes a alingment should be done after any frontend work. hope this helps.

Archived