Post-blackbear 93 Octane Tune '09 5.3l Mpg Results

This is what I was talking about. Tunes can be TRACKED. It is not about if the chip you have in is tuned or not it is the counter. If the counter on the chip does not match the counter in the computer they can tell you are switching out your chips.

Please elaborate on the "COUNTER" you are referring to.

I would like more info on this please..

I swap my tuned and untuned modules out every once in a while...but I am very curious about this "COUNTER."

What does it actually "DO" and what does it interface with?

The only chips I have found, are left over lays I dropped on the floor mats.

Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033 is currently available in SI.

Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L,

3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L

Gas Powered Engines Only

Models: 2006–2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006–2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Excluding Pontiac Vibe, G8, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

1. Go to TIS2WEB

2. Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"

3. Enter VIN

4. Select "Get Cal ID"

5. Select "ECM Engine Control Module"

6. Select "Next"

7. Select "Complete History"

8. Print

9. Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®

10. Plug in the Tech 2®

11. Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle

12. Select "Powertrain"

13. Select "Engine"

14. *Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM"

15. *Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.

16. *If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

17. Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.

* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case — a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to [email protected] and STEVEN.R. [email protected] for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

Its simple, keep a spare set of modules. The calibration that was programmed stays the same if you take the modules out and swap them in for waranty work. The info on clanges when either the ECM is reprogrammed(Tune) or flashed.

Diesels, from what I have heard are a little harder to fool, since the DPF need to regen after a certain amount of time. The cycles can be verified vs. time/ mileage.

Is it possible that, for example step #7, will show in the HISTORY that the ecm was switched or dissconnected??? Or is there some other place other than the ecm that would show a history of timing or such that would indicate a aftermarket tune? I ve always had a tune but haven t done this one yet.

Is it possible that, for example step #7, will show in the HISTORY that the ecm was switched or dissconnected??? Or is there some other place other than the ecm that would show a history of timing or such that would indicate a aftermarket tune? I ve always had a tune but haven t done this one yet.

No, From what I have seen it only shows the number of flashes...up to 10, IIRC.

No, From what I have seen it only shows the number of flashes...up to 10, IIRC.

thanks for all the info Draenor. it seems possible that at some point GM can issue an ECM software update that could include some sort of data logger to track the ECM history/timing. anybody concerned with this? i'm sure the resounding answer will be "No, whenever i drop my truck off at the dealership i give explicit instructions not to apply software updates without my consent". but it only takes one technician not aware of your stipulation to uncover reason to void your warranty.

i know these questions are paranoia over a hypothetical situation, but i'm curious nonetheless.

from Black Bear's FAQ page:

Will I need to perform a Crank Relearn procedure with your tune?

Yes, as with all other tunes that involve swapping out the stock PCM for a tuned one that was previously in another vehicle, you will need to perform a crank relearn procedure. Any dealership or shop with a GM Tech 2 or other high end scanner should be able to perform this procedure in under 5 minutes.

Customers that utilize the Scan Cable option will be able to perform this procedure on their own, provided that they have a laptop available to use. This is a potential savings of up to $100, depending on dealership rates. This does not apply to 98-00 Classic Body style trucks and SUVs.

There is no questioning the performance benefits you get from the tune, but the issue still arises that the dealer can tell if your trucks are tuned now and WILL void your warranty, wither or not your have power train issues. Warranty by far is more important than a tune for the first 3 years / 36,000 miles or so. They posted a bulletin on it not to long ago, but there has been such a LARGE increase in tuned trucks, and thus issues coming from the tunes.

I am still on the fence, but I think the tune will have to wait till the warranty is over for me.

I FORGOT TO MENTION, I PURCHASED A SPARE ECM FROM JUSTIN AND ALL I HAVE TO DO IS INSTALL MY STOCK ECM BACK INTO THE TRUCK BEFORE SERVICE APPOINTMENTS

Do you not need to do a crank relearn on the GMT900's?

I had to perform the crank re-learn with my spare ECM, it took exactly 45 minutes just as the instructions told me it would. No problems at all.

• 4 years later...

Please elaborate on the "COUNTER" you are referring to.I would like more info on this please..I swap my tuned and untuned modules out every once in a while...but I am very curious about this "COUNTER."What does it actually "DO" and what does it interface with?

The "counter" is the ability of most new vehicles to COUNT the amount of times that the computer has been looked at, plugged into, changed, how many miles that computer has been on the truck (if the milage on the computer is not the same as the dash then they know you are doing something shady and can pull your warranty for that reason alone). It is great to convince your self that there is no way for the dealer to know that you are dicking around with the stock tune, but if they want to know... well... they will know. Tuning is a choice that each person has to make on their own. I don't think it is cool to lie to people for your own peace of mind. I tuned my truck, voided the warranty, and love it. BUT if I apple core a transmission or break/bend a rod, I can pull it and replace it all with one that will not until the next weakest link fails. Sorry for ya everybody, but something don't come for nothing. Power cost longevity, tunes cost warranties, and fast shit will ALWAYS eventually break. Simple as that. Tune within reason and don't push to hard and probably no problems. But tune at all in anyway on later model vehicles and something happens... SOL

It is old... and the topic still relevant. You breaking anything or not is not the issue. Tunes voiding warranties is the topic, and they do. They will know and that is that. Most of you guys are ignorant, unfollowing this post and probably leaving this forum for good.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived