Tpms Reset

Ive been rotating my tires myself for the past 60,000kms only the first rotation I did this "re-learn" Tried it once, alot of effort for something so useless (in my eyes) I have no light, and I know my tires pressure I only have to add or release air a few times a year, I'll also know which tire goes flat when it does.

Ive heard of guys using magnets to reset it (as opposed to the deflate/inflate method), but who cares, no light is good enough for me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'07's had software and tpm controller issues that was cause for tpm relearn difficulties as well. If your truck still has the same rcdlr and software in it that it was built with from the factory then you will have issues learning them via the Delta-P method. Buy the cheap aftermarket relearn tool ($40-ish online from what I've heard) and be done with tpm sensor relearn issues. :)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

If you change TPMS sensors in the tire will the computer learn the new code, or do you need a tool to relearn?

If you need a tool, what are good ones to get?

I have 2 sets of wheels/tires and would like to have sensors in all 8 without a big hassle of relearning each time I change. I hate the error message showing up so it's just easier to have sensors in all the tires.

I have the four originals in the spare and it doesn't seem to pick them up all the time.

Has anyone cloned sensors?

If you change TPMS sensors in the tire will the computer learn the new code, or do you need a tool to relearn?

If you need a tool, what are good ones to get?

I have 2 sets of wheels/tires and would like to have sensors in all 8 without a big hassle of relearning each time I change. I hate the error message showing up so it's just easier to have sensors in all the tires.

I have the four originals in the spare and it doesn't seem to pick them up all the time.

You should be able to do what you want with no problems if you use the relearn process in the owners manual.

The TPMS reciever is constantly scanning for a signal from a tire sensor. The manual relearn procedure basically tells the TPMS to clear all four assigned slots and scan for signals to reassign to each slot in a specific order. It assigns the first signal it recieves to the drivers front, 2nd signal to the passenger front and so forth. The tire sensors themselves only send a signal if the pressure changes to a certain point. So the first four TPM sensors to send out a signal will be assigned to the four slots in the TPMS memory.

The four originals in the spare may not always contact the computer as they need some motion (vibration) to activate them and by then the light might have already come on.

I have cloned sensors in two sets of wheels. Orange electronics in my winters with the same ID#'s as my originals so I can do a straight swap the wheels and they will be recognized. However you need their tool to program the ID#s into the sensors and it is about $200. The relearn process will recognize different ID#s and different makes of sensors, you just need to do the relearn process in the right order. I have never had a problem getting it to work on mIne and several other trucks. The tools only shortens the process and you don't have to let the 2-5 second burst of air out and then refill, but, you still must go through the rest of the relearn process triggerring the sensors in order to get the right wheel in any low pressure situations.

I just got a set of 20" Tahoe ltz wheels with sensors and did the relearn on them, it didn't work. I turned the key on hit the lock unlock, it beeped and I went all the way around the truck where the blinkers where on. I let the air out waited, it beeped and went the next one for all four wheels thought it was good to go and it doesn't pick the sensors up. It must have picked them up because it went through the whole process like I was supposed to but the light is on and the DIC says ---. Any ideals? As I'm thinking of it the old wheels where with in 10 feet of the truck would that confuse the sensors? I would just like to get the light off Kind of annoying.

EDIT: Tried one more time and it worked.

It shouldn't matter that the old wheels were within ten feet as long as they hadn't moved for several minutes the sensors would not have been active but in sleep mode. The reason you let a burst of air out is to activate the sleeping sensors. Maybe the first time you still had a sensor active on another wheel and it got confused. When you first start the process only the first sensor can be active and sending information.

I just got a set of 20" Tahoe ltz wheels with sensors and did the relearn on them, it didn't work. I turned the key on hit the lock unlock, it beeped and I went all the way around the truck where the blinkers where on. I let the air out waited, it beeped and went the next one for all four wheels thought it was good to go and it doesn't pick the sensors up. It must have picked them up because it went through the whole process like I was supposed to but the light is on and the DIC says ---. Any ideals? As I'm thinking of it the old wheels where with in 10 feet of the truck would that confuse the sensors? I would just like to get the light off Kind of annoying.

EDIT: Tried one more time and it worked.

It shouldn't matter that the old wheels were within ten feet as long as they hadn't moved for several minutes the sensors would not have been active but in sleep mode. The reason you let a burst of air out is to activate the sleeping sensors. Maybe the first time you still had a sensor active on another wheel and it got confused. When you first start the process only the first sensor can be active and sending information.

Yes, it DOES make a difference that the old sensors were that close. It reminds me of all the times that we'd get trucks in, with the old wheels/tires in the bed, from the local Firestone/Bell Tire/Northwest Tire store with a concern of unable to learn new tpm sensors in new wheels or that the service tire pressure monitor message came on after they went home and dumped off the old tires. :dunno:

Yes, it DOES make a difference that the old sensors were that close.

I think that it matters only if they were ACTIVE, like if they were in the bed and the truck hadn't been sitting for long enough to deactivate them. I do mine and others all the time with the other set of rims within several feet as long as they have not been touched/moved or rolled on the floor recently, I have never had that issue.

Yes, it DOES make a difference that the old sensors were that close.

I think that it matters only if they were ACTIVE, like if they were in the bed and the truck hadn't been sitting for long enough to deactivate them. I do mine and others all the time with the other set of rims within several feet as long as they have not been touched/moved or rolled on the floor recently, I have never had that issue.

Correct but what is so difficult about just moving them 30 or so feet away before doing the tpm learn unless you know for a fact that the others aren't active? What if your buddy just stopped over with his truck with tpm on it and is parked directly behind your truck? I've seen it all dude and I'm just trying to help by saying, move them away. Most people might not be for sure if the others are active or not and doing what I said might keep them from having issues.

I agree totally, sometimes its better to be safe than sorry. I really hate it when shops keep the balancing machines right in the bay with the hoist and have two guys working on tires when a TPMS relearn is in process.

• 2 months later...

The tire relearn procedure it the silliest thing I ever heard. Why don't they just make you stand on your head and rub your belly? LOL Besides, if one of the sensors tell me a tire is low, I'm going to check ALL the tires. Those sensors are at least a couple of pounds off anyway. I put nitorgen in my tires, and I don't even need to worry about the pressure anymore. I went 10 months (November through August), and I didn't even have to mess with adjusting the air pressure. Best $12 I ever spent. :)

The tire relearn procedure it the silliest thing I ever heard. Why don't they just make you stand on your head and rub your belly? LOL Besides, if one of the sensors tell me a tire is low, I'm going to check ALL the tires. Those sensors are at least a couple of pounds off anyway. I put nitorgen in my tires, and I don't even need to worry about the pressure anymore. I went 10 months (November through August), and I didn't even have to mess with adjusting the air pressure. Best $12 I ever spent. :)

By what measure? YOUR tire pressure gauge? Are your sure that the GAUGE isn't off? I'm going to tell you that the sensor isn't off this much I know for sure. MY gauge isn't either but it's not a $.99 special either.

Archived