Rear Sliding Window

Anyone replace their rear fixed window with a sliding one, power or not?  How does this work with defrost and stuff?  Any idea on price?

If you get the sliding window, it will not have the rear window defroster. GM offers a power sliding rear window add on kit, but it is over $ 400, and first you must buy the window separately. And you still do not get a defroster! Trucks like Tundra SR5 or Titan SE come with standard sliding rear window with desfroster built-in. And it slides up and down, not sideways. This is a much better design and standard equipment.

Every pick-up I have owned has had a sliding rear window (some I have installed after purchase). To each their own on the design (drop down ala Toyota or slide sideways)--I like being able to have airflow across me when I drive from the center of the window. I have never had a rear defroster in a truck, however with the window open and the front defroster on I have never had rear window fogging issues. Once or twice a year in Massachusetts not having to scrape ice off the rear window would be nice, but I would not trade it for a slider, which gets used all year. With the slider I run the A/C much less often and I can defog the cab much more efficiantly. (Disclaimer: all my trucks have been standard cabs.)

When I had my ford, I dont think it had a rear defroster, but it did have a slider... and I loved it... I think ill give up the defroster so my dog can stick his head out of the window :cheers: haha... so if my vehicle is equipped with rear defroster and I take the window out... nothing ihappens right? Its just an unused button?

I went from a reg. cab, no defrost rear slider to a crew cab, solid window with a defroster. When I ordered my truck I actually ordered the slider because that's what I was used to. But......since the slider could not be orderd with a defroster, (and I need a defroster where I live) I actually called the dealer and cancelled the slider and went with the standard window/defroster. With the reg. cab, I could keep the rear window visibility clear pretty easily. Now with the crew cab, it would be more of a PIA to keep it clear so I opted for the defroster. Safety over pleasure any day. If the slider came with a defroster..... I would have it now. Especially a power slider w/defrost.... now that would be the cat's a$$.

DEWFPO

I went from a reg. cab, no defrost rear slider to a crew cab, solid window with a defroster.  When I ordered my truck I actually ordered the slider because that's what I was used to.  But......since the slider could not be orderd with a defroster, (and I need a defroster where I live) I actually called the dealer and cancelled the slider and went with the standard window/defroster.  With the reg. cab, I could keep the rear window visibility clear pretty easily.  Now with the crew cab, it would be more of a PIA to keep it clear so I opted for the defroster.  Safety over pleasure any day.  If the slider came with a defroster..... I would have it now.  Especially a power slider w/defrost.... now that would be the cat's a$$.

DEWFPO

+1

On the crew cab, you can open the rear door power windows all the way down, so you do not need the sliding rear window for ventilation. Also, a manual slider would not be accessible from the driver's seat anyway, so only a power slider would be practical. Personally, I like the defroster on the rear fixed window in a crew cab. I would not mind a slider like Toyota or Nissan have, i.e. with the defroster, and sliding up and down. Actually, the one in Tundra is the best, because the whole window slides up and down. In case of a Titan, it is only the center section, but it is pretty wide.

BTW, I had a manual rear sliding window on my 95 Nissan extended cab pickup. I liked it becuase I could easily open it fromt he driver's seat. And if the rear window was fogged over, I could open it for clear view.

I miss the slider on my new Sierra as well. In FL we don't need the defrost as much, but I'm a builder and I used to carry 12-14 foot boards in my other trucks. I'd open the rear window, put a towel on the dash and slide them through; great for last minute jobsite deliveries. That's about the only thing I miss on the Sierra.

• 2 months later...
so if my vehicle is equipped with rear defroster and I take the window out... nothing ihappens right?  Its just an unused button?

The rear defroster button also turns on the heated mirrors if you have them. In my case, the graphic on the button is slightly different because I only have heated mirrors with the slider window.

If you are concerned about the truck raising issues, disconnect one of the leads at the window and see what happens. My guess is that the mirrors should still work, if you have them.

I could take or leave my rear defroster, but I am abit afraid of a slider.  I had mine popped open twice by crooks stealing my stuff, once they busted the glass breaking in.  The old school kind is a weak point in the trucks security.

I have heard of several cases where sliding windows leaked (when closed) and had to be replaced several times. I never had this problem with my Nissan, but I know some Ford guys who did.

The slider in my truck would be hard to get into (It is a factory 2005, single panel slider). The older two-panel sliders could be popped from the outside. If soneone is going to break glass to steel your truck or its contents, it does not matter what you have. My slider has not leaked yet, and I am in New England where we get plenty of rain and snow.

Archived