Onstar Module Programing

unloadit

Question

I just replaced my Onstar module myself to add bluetooth. When I take it to the dealer, will they have to remove it to program the Onstar to work...or do they do that by just pluging into the computer and programing it that way?

0 answers to this question

Found this on the G8Board:

Default OEM Bluetooth/Onstar retrofit-DIY Guide; myths dispelled

First, I must give some credit to Atrkuz798 http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=59 for his contributions that got me started.

His posts show detailed pictures of the physical install.

There have been numerous posts saying how hard this is to do, and how hard it is to order a Onstar unit and then even harder to get it programmed for the car. This is what I did, and it only cost me $150, and 10 minutes on the phone with Onstar. And did I mention it is 100% OEM?

* Find a salvage yard that has a 09.5 G8. Have them take a picture of the Onstar unit to verify it is the one you need. The label will have the Bluetooth icon on it. FYI, all GXP's should have bluetooth. I should mention the part number for the unit I bought from a salvage yard was 25984444. The one that Atrkuz ordered was different, but is probably just a part number change by GM.

* The bluetooth antennae should come with the unit you buy, you could just ask them to be sure and leave it on there for you.

* When you get it in the mail, install it in you vehicle. If you are not sure how, you can follow this guide http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=59 You must remove teh white mute signal wire. I was able to pull the entire pin out preserving it for later use, but if you can not get it, just cut the wire. Wrap the exposed pin in electrical tape because it is a grounding circuit. If it touches the Onstar unit or vehicle and grounds, your radio will always be in 'voice' mode.

* Turn on car and test out the Bluetooth. Instructions for this are in the owners manual. Everything should work just as it would if yo had an 09.5 car.

At this point, you have everything the costar unit gives you, and at a cheaper price. FWIW, I have used aftermarket integrated kits, and the GM interface is much nicer.

Since you got your unit used, Onstar will think you are someone else and will think you are a different VIN if you call. They can reprogram the unit remotely while you are driving. Heres what I did and said:

* push the Onstar button. Chances are they will greet you by someone elses name.

* Tell them politley that you have upgraded your hardware and need to get your account linked to the new unit. I told them exactly what I did with buying a salvaged part for the bluetooth. They transferred me to a technical support advisor.

* I repeated to him that I took a used unit and put it in my car. He completely understood and was cool with it. He knew what to do. He took my phone number to pull up MY account, and verified the VIN number of MY car that I was driving.

* He then told me he was going to send the signals to update this unit, and that it would take about 2.5 minutes, and I may hear ringing. He also took my cell number to call back in case of a disconnect.

* 2.5 min turned into about 10. There was lots of ringing, then silence, then hold music,then more ringing, etc. I was about to give up when he came back online and said he successfully made the switch for me. He told me next time I call in, it will pull up my account with my vehicles. SWEET!

i honestly have no clue why there are so many posts full of doom and gloom regarding this. I have seen things posted such as saying that once a unit is programmed, it can not be changed, or that you have to have a hook-up to get it changed. None of this is true , at least with a used unit. Perhaps the new units must have an initial program, I dont know.

What I do know is this:

The Onstar tech told me that the Station ID # is hardcoded to the unit, and they just have to associate the new units station id # to my VIN. I believe this is more done within their network, rather than actually programming the box. I specifically asked if the VIN was programmed in the new unit, and he told me the only thing hard coded is the Station ID.

To recap:

* buy a used bluetooth unit

* plug it in/remove white mute wire.

* call onstar and tell them what you did.

I got mine from Cleveland Pick a Part for $150 shipped to Houston. The only way I knew they would have one is from their Ebay auction for a GXP motor/tranny.

Good Luck

Thanks. That is interesting.

But I tried exacty what that guy did.....3 times....and the Onstar guy said that he tried to update it and it was giving them an error message and that I have to take it to the dealer. Maybe because my unit is new and hasn't been in another car. Also...this is a G8....and maybe theirs is different or something. IDK.

Something that is throwing me for a loop is......cutting the white mute wire? No sure what that does or if that just applies to the G8.

Thanks. That is interesting.

But I tried exacty what that guy did.....3 times....and the Onstar guy said that he tried to update it and it was giving them an error message and that I have to take it to the dealer. Maybe because my unit is new and hasn't been in another car. Also...this is a G8....and maybe theirs is different or something. IDK.

Something that is throwing me for a loop is......cutting the white mute wire? No sure what that does or if that just applies to the G8.

Yea, I'm thinking that's a G8 thing too.

I just replaced my Onstar module myself to add bluetooth. When I take it to the dealer, will they have to remove it to program the Onstar to work...or do they do that by just pluging into the computer and programing it that way?

All programming is performed through the ALDL on all modules.

This is probably right because A) he's a tech and B) the dealership isn't going to have hundreds or thousands of bench wiring looms for programming.

All programming is performed through the ALDL on all modules.

Following the other threads as well on this subject. Look forward to what you find out.

Just wondering - how is this handled on the assembly line? Is On* programmed at the dealer at the time it off loads from the trailer? Probably not. I'm betting this is set up at the factory on the assembly line. The VCIM has to be flashed somewhere with the VIN and other data.

Anybody have any ideas?

Yep, I am wondering too. I'm just wondering it it would have been better to just have the dealer installed it and programed it at the same time. That is....if they have to take it back out. Now if they can just flash the computer or something that would be cool. I don't wan't to have to pay for them to take the moudule back out of the truck in order to program it. I will have to pay for this time. And I sure as hell don't want to have to take it out myself....cause it was a bitch. I will keep you posted and look to see what happens with others.

Archived