Snow Plow On 1500 Crew

Well I am sure you could plow with a 2wd vehicle. I see many Medium duty trucks (topkicks/kodiaks/f-700s etc) plowing but they are equipped with a big sander loaded with several tons of salt.

Then used mostly on surface streets or parking lots.....................

I live in blizzard/lake effect snow land where a 2wd PICKUP truck wouldn't stand a chance of pushing snow.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I am sure you could plow with a 2wd vehicle. I see many Medium duty trucks (topkicks/kodiaks/f-700s etc) plowing but they are equipped with a big sander loaded with several tons of salt.

Then used mostly on surface streets or parking lots.....................

I live in blizzard/lake effect snow land where a 2wd PICKUP truck wouldn't stand a chance of pushing snow.

We had some very big snow storms last winter and I was able to plow snow that was over 20" in 2wd. I usually have about 2000lbs in my bed easily when I'm out plowing and that weight alone allows me to get away with plowing on flat driveways and lots. As for my clients with those really steep ass driveways, I use the 4wd cause of the dangerous inclines on a few of the driveways. Now when it comes to stacking I'll use the 4wd, especially when plowing 2' or more of snow. We had so much snow last winter that I made snow mounds that were higher then some of my commericial and residential properties buildings. Really needed to have a front loader at certain properties due to excessive amount of snowfall and only being able to stack so much. The more weight you can drop into the bed, the better the traction you get. My truck is built for taking on alot of weight in the bed. I can easily haul 2500 lbs and with that weight my truck will sit at stock height. My rear doesn't start to drop until 2000 lbs is loaded into the bed.

• 4 weeks later...
You better have a look underneath your truck........................

4wd GMs still have t-bars

1/2-ton GMT900's do NOT have torsion bars anymore,They have coils.

All these gmt-800/900s are lowriders with a plow on them.

Forget the leveling kit ! Try ballast first................

Timbrens effect unloaded ride so be warned.

New front springs would be the ultimate cure!

Ballast is the key!

I use both ballast and the level kit, HD tranny cooler a must. And you can't plow like its a 2500HD because its not.

I expect lower ball joint to last less then half the mileage of a normal one. With the lighter duty tranny you need to come to a complete

stop before shifting from R to F or F to R the added weight of the plow and ballast adds a lot of mass to the truck.

If you have more than 2 adults in that Crew cab your gonna exceed the Vehicle Front axle weight.

I plan on getting a 2500 next year. Of course I have seen people damage a 2500 because they beat the piss out of it plowing.

MY neighbor has a 2008 GMC 3500HD extra-cab duramax dually with a Blizzard 10 foot extend-able plow.

I believe SonJaab plows as a business?

Timbrens do not affect the ride in my truck. I prefer a stiff suspension and my truck to ride like a truck, rather then a suv. I would recommend the timbrens on that 1500 even though thats only a 7.5 blade, it's still heavy for a 1/2 ton truck. Western has on their site the recommended ballast, at least they did a couple years ago. You probably would need a 400lb min ballast. If you take it easy plowing with that 1/2 ton and don't try to push it too hard, you should be able to do fine. My biggest concern would be the front end, no tranny cooler.

Which controller did you get for the plow? Also get some dry gas and add a couple cap fulls to the fluid in the pump before the winter season to prevent any type of freeze ups. When the plows sit all summer, condensation could get into the pump and when the winter comes, it could cause the little bit of moisture to freeze up.

• 3 months later...

since the wiring for the headlites are different, can i use the 03 module without using the headlights? I have connected port 1 and port2 , and have no power at the controller, do the headlites need to be connected to complete circuit to get power inside to controller? Thanks Tom

On a Western the plow must be connected and plugged in or the handheld controller won't

light up.

As far as the wiring connections I don't know. But IF the plow is connected and the handheld

isn't lit up then somethings not connected/wired correctly.

GM kept changing the wiring setups so my old wiring wouldn't work. My 04 wiring wouldn't work

on my 07 gmt-900.

Best to ask the pros over at http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums

BTW: I am in Daytona at the moment diggin' on the big Turkey Run thats been happening at the Speedway

this weekend ! PLENTY of beautiful iron crusin' the streets !

One sickining thing tho................Up the street on Nova Rd. at a pizza shop the guy has a 85-87? GN

with all this goofy number stickers and Pittsburg football stuff plastered all over it ! TOO SAD!!!!!!!!!!!

I just looked up the turkey run, sounds like a great time, I will keep in mind. Yeah, I just found out the plow must be mounted because the ground from the headlamps are used to complete circuit. I hope to be able to use this set up again. Thanks...Tom

I just looked up the turkey run, sounds like a great time, I will keep in mind. Yeah, I just found out the plow must be mounted because the ground from the headlamps are used to complete circuit. I hope to be able to use this set up again. Thanks...Tom

Correct, everything must be plugged in for it to work. If you haven't done so yet, get yourself some dielectric grease and apply it generously to all the electrical points in the plugs. Also apply to the power and ground cable on pump so you keep the bolt from rusting and thus giving you a bad connection done the road. Also I like to add dry gas to the pump every season, usually a couple cap fulls.

Also, do you have any more pics of that awesome Grand National?

Sweet ass ride! Did you buy new back in the 80's? Looks like you keep it garaged. From the pictures it looks to be flawless, right off the show room floor. I knew 2 people back in the day that bought them brand new. When cruising at 45 mph, he would nail the gas and the rear wheels would start spinning. Then buick also had came out with the regal T-type which was basically the grand national but a few lbs lighter I think. Someone once told me that the frames alone, sitting in a junkyard are worth a grand.

No I did not buy it new. I bought it 10 years ago, yes it stays inside with heat, yes, I do drive it. A family member bought it from the original owner for the same amount he paid new. Original paint, looks great in person as well, Thanks. The plow mount is complete, front coil springs seems to be ok, may add timbrens too many projects to stop now atleast I can plow when the need arises.

post-52903-1291338080_thumb.jpg

No I did not buy it new. I bought it 10 years ago, yes it stays inside with heat, yes, I do drive it. A family member bought it from the original owner for the same amount he paid new. Original paint, looks great in person as well, Thanks. The plow mount is complete, front coil springs seems to be ok, may add timbrens too many projects to stop now atleast I can plow when the need arises.

Might I suggest loosing the tennis balls and adding softballs? Any interior and engine shots? Absoultely awesome looking!

Archived