Gm's Rebutall For The Eco-boost

Prdtrgttr

I've had an ecoboost since July...I figured I would try it out until the next gen GM trucks roll out....I can tell you from experience, if you stay out of the boost the mileage is decent, but nothing special like ford originally claimed (to get maximum mileage you need a 2wd 3.15 rear end and who the hell wants one of those)...Comparing it to my 6.2 silverado (in stock form) the mileage on the highway is pretty close and in town the ecoboost has a slight advantage ( mine is an fx4 crew with 3.73 gears)

so far for 4000miles, the truck has averaged (mixed driving) 17.2 mpg where my 6.2 was 15.1 mpg....decent but not impressive in my books and Im glad I will not own it once the warranty expires

Towing a 6500lbs trailer the 6.2 silverado and the ecoboost both tow it well, but the ecoboost sucks more fuel than the silvy and thats because the turbos require a lot of fuel to make the low end torque.

Next truck I will be back in a next gen v8 silverado

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe you jumped ship snarkee!! But glad to hear your come back soon :lol: How would you compare the to performance wise?

On a side note, what size and kind of tires are on your old 6.2? (P.M. me if you don't want to post in this section)

I can't believe you jumped ship snarkee!! But glad to hear your come back soon :lol: How would you compare the to performance wise?

On a side note, what size and kind of tires are on your old 6.2? (P.M. me if you don't want to post in this section)

overall i like the ford....it has some nice features and it is roomy inside.....Performance, the ecoboost and 3.73 rear end is great. There is some turbo lag but nothing more than a stock 6.2 with the computer nannies.

The eco is quiet and smooth like a prius, and that I dont like. Its too quiet

We moved to the country so mpg is important to me so this truck will stay stock

btw those are cooper zeon ltz 275 60 r20

I am ready to replace my '08 with another new chevy when the new platform is available. Thats assuming theres going to be a turbo motor. If not, im pretty sure im going ford, and i hate ford.

Don't do it! :jester:

so far for 4000miles, the truck has averaged (mixed driving) 17.2 mpg where my 6.2 was 15.1 mpg....decent but not impressive in my books and Im glad I will not own it once the warranty expires

So 2MPG better unloaded for the same performance. Sounds good to me. I have no idea what your driving conditions are, but that's about what the EPA ratings say as well. And your truck is rated for 21mpg highway, even with the 3.73 gear. Gearing has very little to do with the EPA ratings. Maybe 0.5MPG less for your 3.73 vs. the standard 4x4 3.31.

I am ready to replace my '08 with another new chevy when the new platform is available. Thats assuming theres going to be a turbo motor. If not, im pretty sure im going ford, and i hate ford.

Don't do it! :jester:

ha honestly I its an hollow threat I could never do it I dont like fords or really any other trucks.. but i do really want to see a turbo motor platform. In reality if theres no turbo 1500 ill probably go turbo diesel, but I just dont need the diesel and i dont want the headache of running it. I am just too jealous of the tuning gains to be had with the OEM turbo motors and plug in programmers.

I have been following the progress/issues with the new Ecoboost trucks. Seems they are having WOT issues when the truck downshifts and tac's out, throwing the truck into limp mode. They have many documented injector issues, "ticking" complaints, and "turbo whine". Now, it is the first year of a new engine line up and I suppose some bugs always surface. Here is some educational reading: F150 Forum Thread

The MPG's are impressive combined with the horsepower, I will give them that. My issue is that I want a truck that can go for 100's of thousands of miles, and I just don't see these things holding up without becoming a money pit when they get into the higher digits. I just really pray that GM doesn't sacrifice dependability in the next model to compete with Ford's stuff. There are still many people like me that buy a truck and want 10+ years of hard work out of it, with maintainence and wear parts obviously. I don't wouldn't want to be replacing incjectors and rebuilding turbos every 50-75 thousand.

With that said I'm not dogging Ford here, our GM 5.3L's have had their troubles too.

Haha, I'm bad about being on here when I'm in the office and not in the field. :)

Yeah, there is quite a few pages in the thread and it gives somewhat of an insite into issues that have arose. Like I said, I'm not one here to bash, I just wanted to forward info of some documented issues these are having in case our members were serious about jumping ship so soon.

I have been following the progress/issues with the new Ecoboost trucks. Seems they are having WOT issues when the truck downshifts and tac's out, throwing the truck into limp mode. They have many documented injector issues, "ticking" complaints, and "turbo whine". Now, it is the first year of a new engine line up and I suppose some bugs always surface. Here is some educational reading: F150 Forum Thread

I would be livid if I had a brand new truck doing whats going on with that ecoboost. I feel bad for them.

Every auto manufacturer that I can think of (foreign and domestic) has been offering turbocharged motors due to market demand for over 40 years. Some have been more successful than others but they ALL have problems.

In my 20+ years in dealership management (either parts manager or service manager, over time) I have seen chronic failures in turbo chargers and turbocharged motors that I have not seen in naturally aspirated motors.

Say what you want about improved technologies in these things, they are still (and always will be IMO) problematic.

I understand the "Coolness" of having a turbocharged or supercharged motor. However, I would never fall into that trap myself........ My daddy used to call that, "Buying trouble". IMO, that is literally the case here.

not to jinx mine, but mines been perfect....mine was built in the 5 week or so window where they had lots of faulty tranny pumps.....5000miles on it so far so good

also, for a DI engine, my ecoboost is quieter at idle than my wifes terrain

there are a lot of people with problems....the problem is, the people who have trucks with no problems, never report that their trucks are fine lol

not to jinx mine, but mines been perfect....mine was built in the 5 week or so window where they had lots of faulty tranny pumps.....5000miles on it so far so good

also, for a DI engine, my ecoboost is quieter at idle than my wifes terrain

there are a lot of people with problems....the problem is, the people who have trucks with no problems, never report that their trucks are fine lol

That's normally the case with most any product or service. You seldom hear from the satisfied customers.

I'm not saying that the turbo-boost is junk and they will all fail in a short time. 90% of the new truck buyers that trade in the truck before it is out of warranty may not have any issues with it at all.

All I'm saying is that, over the life of the vehicle, a vehicle with a larger engine with the same HP will provide more carefree service than a smaller TC motor with that HP.

I am also saying that OVER-TIME virtually all mechanical parts fail. The smaller (more complicated) motor with the same HP will fail sooner and cost more to maintain, given the same stresses IMO.

Archived