Gm's Rebutall For The Eco-boost

Prdtrgttr

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny as in that douchebag Howie Mandell bashing Ford for having a tailgate step? I have no use for one but I bet lots of truck owners with bad backs or knees think it's a godsend. He's a smug little turd and I'm glad he's gone from the TV spots. GM has plenty of net-only stuff too, some geared toward the competitive testing but others just pull a bit at the heritage of the brand and I really like those. Too many people these days just think of vehicles as another appliance like their dishwasher or lawn mower but for lots of people (and I'm betting just about everyone here) vehicles play a huge part in our lives. I bet just about everyone here remembers a special car or truck that dad, grandpa or an uncle had when they were a kiddo, right?

Oops, I meant Howie Long. Mandell is a stand up comic. Haha

Good save. I was like.....WTF?!? He's COMPLETELY fallen the F off his rocker this time! :lol:

Bold Italic - Yes, being as that I was born, raised and will most likely die, in an automotive industry based state, by an automotive based family that was led by a father that retired from a Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac dealer after 35 years of service, only for myself to go right head first into the same industry to support myself as well, you can bet your ass that I have VERY MANY fond memories of MANY vehicles that have come and gone over the years in my life. I like the current run of Chevrolet commercials and I like the old sales flyers with the '58 Chevy truck sitting next to a brand new model in a farm field with the two owners talking, etc. I may be a bit brand loyal at times but when one company has literally helped to build the family you come from, along with pay your current salery, it's kinda hard not to be, ya know?

Shows what you know- I fell off the rocker a loooong time ago! :lol:

I will admit when everything went south in 08-09 I didn't have a very high opinion of GM at the time due to a string of issues I had with my '03 1500 but between having the opportunity to drive lots of GMs latest (much improved) offerings as I travel almost weekly on business and spending quite a bit of time in the upper midwest that is the home to the industry I came away with a much different opinion. I'm sure most of the folks who opposed the bailouts have never set foot in an area dependent on the industry or driven one of the many new GM vehicles that I feel are truly best in their class.

Shows what you know- I fell off the rocker a loooong time ago! :uhoh:

I will admit when everything went south in 08-09 I didn't have a very high opinion of GM at the time due to a string of issues I had with my '03 1500 but between having the opportunity to drive lots of GMs latest (much improved) offerings as I travel almost weekly on business and spending quite a bit of time in the upper midwest that is the home to the industry I came away with a much different opinion. I'm sure most of the folks who opposed the bailouts have never set foot in an area dependent on the industry or driven one of the many new GM vehicles that I feel are truly best in their class.

After a vacation to our nation's capitol this past spring, I can for sure tell you that is a fact. I'm not going to say that I was a personal fan of two of our nations largest companies, and my employer, getting help from the goverenment, far from it, but because of what it meant if we didn't, well, sometimes you just have to tuck your tail between your legs and ask for help. Everybody does it sooner or later and for people that don't, and do things the right way all the time, kudos but the simple fact of the matter is that most of the pricks that were against it, were lying through their ****ing teeth to try and save corporations that stole billions of dollars from the United States plubic looooooooong before the auto industry came calling. And to those assholes, I have a big **** you and have a nice day. I hope all your yacht develop holes in their hulls and the engines on your personal jets flame out at 30,000 feet. You deserve nothing but the best. :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Until GM is no longer govt owned, I won't be buying one newer than what I have now. I like turbos, and they can be reliable, especially on a diesel. So how about a small Duramax in a half ton?! Come on, people have been asking for that for years! Hurry up and make money so I'll buy you again!

Until GM is no longer govt owned, I won't be buying one newer than what I have now. I like turbos, and they can be reliable, especially on a diesel. So how about a small Duramax in a half ton?! Come on, people have been asking for that for years! Hurry up and make money so I'll buy you again!

Because people won't buy it. Diesels in trucks cost too much damn money for the average 1/2 ton buyer to even consider it. Not to mention a diesel 1500 would cut into HD sales.

Because people won't buy it. Diesels in trucks cost too much damn money for the average 1/2 ton buyer to even consider it. Not to mention a diesel 1500 would cut into HD sales.

Then why did they spend all that money and time developing the 4.5L baby Duramax? It died on the vine due to bankruptcy and the need to show the gooberment and the majority of the taxpayers that they were committed to being green and refocused on econoboxes and EVs (i.e. Volt).

If GM hadn't failed and needed the bailout, the 4.5L Duramax would be in production in 1/2 tons today.

It will be back.....mark my words!

Then why did they spend all that money and time developing the 4.5L baby Duramax? It died on the vine due to bankruptcy and the need to show the gooberment and the majority of the taxpayers that they were committed to being green and refocused on econoboxes and EVs (i.e. Volt).

If GM hadn't failed and needed the bailout, the 4.5L Duramax would be in production in 1/2 tons today.

It will be back.....mark my words!

All the truck makers had plans for a half ton diesel. Now none of them do. The increases emissions controls jacked up the price of the engine to a point where no one would bite. To add a Duramax as the engine on a new truck, it is a $7k+ option now. Knock that down a bit to say $4-5000 for the smaller engine and I still doubt people would bite, that's a lot of money just for the engine option. So instead of the usual trash talk about GM you spew, why not ask why Ford and Dodge gave up too?

All the truck makers had plans for a half ton diesel. Now none of them do. The increases emissions controls jacked up the price of the engine to a point where no one would bite. To add a Duramax as the engine on a new truck, it is a $7k+ option now. Knock that down a bit to say $4-5000 for the smaller engine and I still doubt people would bite, that's a lot of money just for the engine option. So instead of the usual trash talk about GM you spew, why not ask why Ford and Dodge gave up too?

Read and learn:

http://www.green.autoblog.com/2009/07/22/general-motors-4-5l-duramax-v8-could-be-revived-when-the-conditi/

Earlier this year, as General Motors was slashing spending on programs in a desperate and ultimately unsuccessful attempt to stave off bankruptcy, one of the victims was the new new 4.5-liter Duramax diesel V8. The engine, which was intended to start production in early 2010 for use in GM's full-size light duty trucks, was shelved as gasoline prices dropped and sales were plummeting across the board. The program was never officially pronounced dead, merely on indefinite hold. At this point the engineering work on the engine is essentially complete and GM just has to pull the trigger on getting the tooling installed to build it.

GM Vice Chairman Tom Stephens told Ward's Auto World that the program could be revived at any time if the market conditions warrant it. In other words, if fuel prices rise, and diesel prices stay in line with gasoline, the light duty diesel could get back on track. What makes this interesting now is that the Two-Mode hybrid trucks have not met sales expectations and there are reports that Daimler and BMW are both preparing to abandon the project. GM could perhaps make the shift from hybrid to diesel in its trucks if it thinks it could help sales.

Congratulations, you posted an article that is 2.5 years old. Diesel has stayed expensive and will likely continue to be so. I'd like to see it happen, but I doubt it will.

Congratulations, you posted an article that is 2.5 years old. Diesel has stayed expensive and will likely continue to be so. I'd like to see it happen, but I doubt it will.

What does the age of the article have to do with it? I never said it's revival was imminent. FYI, the economy tanked about that time and is still in the tank, GM is also still significantly owned by the US Gov't. I doubt anything will happen before the Gov't sells off it's shares and/or the economy recovers (which means gas prices will once again rise). Like the article says, it will largely depend on how diesel prices compare to gas prices and whether the additional mileage offsets the cost difference (if any).

I'd bet it will eventually be produced. Time will tell.

Archived