Plans to make Sierra more upscale, and expensive, than Silverado

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personaly think they should drop one of there names . Gm or Silverado and concentrate on one .

While that may sound to make sense. There is a lot more to it. GMC is their heavy Truck Division. Also we don't need anymore job losses in this crappy economy. GMC is usually paired with Buick at a dealership to give a good choice of vehicles for the consumer.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this. They have been saying GMC will be different for years and the 900s were the first time the trucks had meaningful differences but it'd be neat to see it taken a step further.

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of this. They have been saying GMC will be different for years and the 900s were the first time the trucks had meaningful differences but it'd be neat to see it taken a step further.

They definately need to differentiate more between all their products. So we don't fall back into the cookie cutter cars and trucks with just different emblems that brought them down before. Should go back to the 60s style when you could tell a brand from a distance. They all look alike now and are poorly marked!

The next gen may share drivetrains, but that will be all.

I really don't see the point of GM or any other manufactuer making multiple, almost identical vehicles. Dropping one wouldn't lose any jobs, since they'd double production on the line they kept. They'd still sell "x trucks" per year, regardless if they were GMC or Chevy.

Seems silly to crank out sheet metal for two almost identical vehicles. They already have Cadillac for their high end version of the Chevy/GMC, so two almost identical trucks seems like a lot more overhead for parts/manufacturing/etc.

But I suppose there is brand loyalty either way.

They should take the Silverado/Sierra pair as we currently know them and offer just one half-ton model, as a Chevrolet Silverado. Offer it with various cab and bed styles as they do, as well as varying trim levels from basic WT all the way up to luxury truck. Chevrolet is the everyman brand.

All Heavy-Duty trucks, 3/4-ton and up, should be offered as GMC along with the big industrial trucks GMC produces. Possibly include basic half-ton WT package as a GMC for fleet sales. Then take a page from Ram's marketing: "GMC TRUCK". GMC is the working man's brand.

It would be a shame if they dropped the GMC truck line. The GMC trucks in recent years have been selling great in my area. You actually see many more GMC's than you do Silverados driving around. I think both lines of truck is great for the customer, with different exterior styling and options available, we get what we want from GM wheather it be a Silverado or Sierra. Whichever fits your liking better.

I really don't see the point of GM or any other manufactuer making multiple, almost identical vehicles. Dropping one wouldn't lose any jobs, since they'd double production on the line they kept. They'd still sell "x trucks" per year, regardless if they were GMC or Chevy.

Seems silly to crank out sheet metal for two almost identical vehicles. They already have Cadillac for their high end version of the Chevy/GMC, so two almost identical trucks seems like a lot more overhead for parts/manufacturing/etc.

But I suppose there is brand loyalty either way.

Agreed the company GM is still in hard times and needs a way to cut cost still . Hell all the big three are still in hard times for sales in North amercia . Globaly tho is a other good story .

I never understood why they killed off Pontiac instead of GMC. Pontiac really did differentiate itself from the other GM brands, in a big way. You don't find cars like the Bonneville or the G8 in the GM stable now. GMC has never been any different from the Chevrolet trucks with the exception of the Denali line, and that bridge could be bridged by making a slightly cheaper Cadillac Escalade and putting the Cadillac brand on a 1/2 ton (Extended and Crew Cabs only). Don't get me wrong, I love GMC, I have a GMC, they look better to me. But when it comes down to giving brands the ax, why did Pontiac go and not GMC?

What does GMC make that is heavier then the 3500?

They haven't made a medium duty truck since 2010 and quit heavy duty before that?

They simply need to re-enter the market with some class 4-7 vehicles. I've seen several news stories over the last year that says GMC dealerships claim their businesses would improve if medium- and heavy-duty trucks were back on their lots. After the failed attempts of GM to sell the segment to Navistar and then Isuzu, they just decided to stop making Topkicks and other big trucks and let other manufacturers have the free market share. They should design and re-introduce bigger-class trucks, take "heavy duty" light class trucks like they put out now and throw them all on the dealership lots together. Then market the heck out of GMC TRUCK and bring the brand back to its roots.

I never understood why they killed off Pontiac instead of GMC. Pontiac really did differentiate itself from the other GM brands, in a big way. You don't find cars like the Bonneville or the G8 in the GM stable now. GMC has never been any different from the Chevrolet trucks with the exception of the Denali line, and that bridge could be bridged by making a slightly cheaper Cadillac Escalade and putting the Cadillac brand on a 1/2 ton (Extended and Crew Cabs only). Don't get me wrong, I love GMC, I have a GMC, they look better to me. But when it comes down to giving brands the ax, why did Pontiac go and not GMC?

I don't know about the rest of you, but if they made a Cadillac pickup, and i bought one, I don't think i could truly use it as a truck. A Cadillac pickup wouldn't work for me. Cadillac has built a great brand as a luxury line and in my mind a pickup doesn't fit there. GMC starting with a basic level model and working up to a luxury model works.

Archived