Turning Off Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

russelln

Hi all,

I live in New Zealand. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT that I bought new when we were on holiday in the US. Before we had it shipped back here I had aftermarket 20" rims/tyres fitted and they swapped over the tpm sensors to these new wheels.

We are about to set off on a 3 month trip towing our trailer here in NZ and I want to put the origional wheels back on for this. Is there any way I can turn off the flashing warning light until we return and I refit the sensor equipped wheels?

Thanks for any advise.

Russell

Hi Russell,

Unfortunately the system cannot be disabled, it is one of the things mandated by the government so sadly there is no way to disable the warning. It seems annoying but I ran my Subaru last winter with snow tires on different wheels (no sensors) and I got good at ignoring the light after a day or two.

Enjoy the trip! 3 months of exploring sounds like a great time!

just take all 4 sensors out of the aftermarket wheels and have them installed in the spare tire... typically a large band clamp to keep them attached to the rim so they dont bounce around, then you never have to worry about it again...

If you hit one of the buttons on the dash (one with road pic) it will stop flashing and just be solid.

But anybody have the part number for OEM TPMS for a 2010... I would like to equip another set of wheels with them.

just take all 4 sensors out of the aftermarket wheels and have them installed in the spare tire... typically a large band clamp to keep them attached to the rim so they dont bounce around, then you never have to worry about it again...

I tried this and it DIDN"T work.... Sometimes they would get picked up sometimes not.

easiest thing to do is to install an extra set of sensors in the stock wheels and program them in as mentioned above (programming instructions are in the manual)

I have heard that the dealer can program the truck to think it is a 3500HD, which does not have sensors and the messages will go away, but you will lose all functionality of the TPMS like that. I believe the programming for this is actually in the driver's door control pod.

I tried this and it DIDN"T work.... Sometimes they would get picked up sometimes not.

the sensors have to spin, the centrifugal force "wakes" them up. I experienced this when I had my factory wheels and tires in the bed of my truck coming home from the tire shop. My original sensors were still in the stock tires and I had new sensors in my new wheels. The read until about halfway home then all hell broke loose. I had to stop at a service station with an air pump and program in the new sensors.

The sensors have to be spinning to transmit, otherwise they are in stationary mode. Wont work.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived