When is the right time of year to buy?

I am sure purchase price has been covered & have searched some threads. But is there a better time of year to buy a new truck. Used truck values are extremely high if on a dealer lot & private sellers usually have too much financed to sell out right. I know end of Dec. is good as well as somewhere around August September. Just curious if there are traditionally some better discounts for spring.

Found a 2012 yesterday that stickered for 38475 & the dealer quoted approximately $31,600 straight out no trade.

Hate to bug you guys too much about this, just always feel like I buy high - sell low. Any input much appreciated.

Unless you are a genie/wizard, must of us other guys also buy high and sell low as well, thats callled buying something new and selling something used :D .

As far as the time of year. Obviuosly finding and previous model year truck when a new model year is on the lots will always get you a better deal.

From my personal experience (and I don't like buying vehicles that have been sitting on the lot for all or half the year, I like the fresh ones ) I've always found the best deals in the winter/ spring, in fact, every truck I've ever bought has been between the months of february and april. Just seems like dealers are more willing to move inventory that is coming in cause in fall they got in all the new models and have not offered any real incentives/discounts for a few months.

Personally every time I've looked at buying in the summer, the deals seem really bad, and the dealerships have a take it or leave it mentality and dont' want to budge in their laughable amount they take off the sticker price.

Back in 2009 my 09 2500HD stickered for 38,965, and I the price I paid was 31,660 which is 7305 off msrp.

Looks like your at 6865 off msrp. I would offer 31,000 tell them thats all you got and you'll have to walk if they can't make it happen, you should be able to get several hundred more off that price.

I have purchased at different times during the year. Just hope the rebates are good and you make a good deal. If your happy then it doesn't really matter what time of year it is. Realistically your not going to get something for 5-10k less during certain months compared to others. Prices go up, interest rates and rebates change. It's all a gamble.

My .02

As far as the time of year. Obviuosly finding and previous model year truck when a new model year is on the lots will always get you a better deal.

From my personal experience (and I don't like buying vehicles that have been sitting on the lot for all or half the year, I like the fresh ones ) I've always found the best deals in the winter/ spring, in fact, every truck I've ever bought has been between the months of february and april. Just seems like dealers are more willing to move inventory that is coming in cause in fall they got in all the new models and have not offered any real incentives/discounts for a few months.

Couldn't agree more. I too have been purchasing mine the same time of the year as you, and with my last two, I've been buying leftover's on the lot. It doesn't bother me that they're not fresh or that they've been sitting. My current truck was almost a year old when I bought it... 12K off msrp and I think I can over look that :lol: The only thing is you most likely will not get the color you want and or one with all the options might also be hard to find. I was able to find this truck having everything I wanted but Black was not my first choice in color.

You might as well be brutally honest up front about it. Here's what I do:

(Price of new vehicle) minus (Price of 1-yr used model) + taxes/title/fees. That's what it costs up up front, and there's no way to sugar coat it. The difference in rebates from Jan to Dec is almost negligible when you calculate the true cost of 1-yr of ownership (including depreciation, maintenance, insurance and fuel).

I have purchased at different times during the year. Just hope the rebates are good and you make a good deal. If your happy then it doesn't really matter what time of year it is. Realistically your not going to get something for 5-10k less during certain months compared to others. Prices go up, interest rates and rebates change. It's all a gamble.

My .02

Couldn't agree more. I do believe there is something to the "buying the last days of the month" advice you often read about. My last 2 or 3 vehicles have been purchased at the end of the month. BUT you never know what's going to happen. My current truck, which I got a good deal on with my previous trade, would have been less if I waited a couple of days. GM upped the amount available on my GM card....lost about $500.... you really never know, but unless you are buying a left over 2011 now, you're not going to save or lose that much over waiting.

My advice, know what you want to pay. Figure out what you can afford, visit all the dealers in the area, and walk if it's not the deal for you. I did and ended up buying my 2012 silverado in December, and got a great deal. And thing are only going to be worst for them which will be better for you.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks much for all the great input. The last time I bought new, I ordered a 2000 GMC for invoice or something near there. But there were some gotcha games played by the dealer when signing the papers staring out the window at my truck. Have bought three used since & only one felt like a great deal, while the other two made were an education in knowing there is always more on the table.

Just saw GM sales were down for Jan. by 6% overall. Cars did OK to average, SUV's trucks were down a bit. So maybe there will be some bumps on the incentive side coming up.

im gonna say wait until the new platform silverados come out (unless you need it now)...knowing gm theyll run the gmt900 trucks with the new ones side by side the first year like they did in 2007. should be able to get a 900 for a steal then.

im gonna say wait until the new platform silverados come out (unless you need it now)...knowing gm theyll run the gmt900 trucks with the new ones side by side the first year like they did in 2007. should be able to get a 900 for a steal then.

That really depends. I've seen this played the other way, as in, they like to sale the fact that this is the last year and it's a hot item, incresing the price.

Doesn't hurt to shop now and keep shopping till you find the right deal. If you like the current GMT900 then imo there is no reason to wait a year or two for the new truck to come out.

I say don't just limit your search to the dealers near you, but search everywhere!! I found two trucks one red, one silver $20.00 difference in price. One was 800 miles from me other was 875. Local dealer would not do a dealer trade for them being 2011 models, (they were afraid that they would get it here and then I would not want it). I looked at the difference with taking the rebates or 0% with Ally, it was cheaper by $4200.00 to take the 0% than the rebate. Look around near and far. :jester:

Archived