-1Tip, Comments and Questions after Advent OGM-1 Install

Hey all, So I installed my Advent OGM-1 last night.

First off, I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with rear entertainment system. I bought the system from walt at ADC Mobile.

I watched the install video numerous times but stll had to call walt for some questions. I got it done last night but still have some minor issues. questions.

As far as install, removing old radio is pretty straightfoward, hardest part imo is pulling off woodgrain trim. Have to really yank at it.

Prepping new install is also pretty straightfoward. GPS and bluetooth go just like video, but take a little longer than the 30 seconds walt the pro does it in.

Now, the fun part. I installed the media link in my center console against front wall and fed the cord underneath then back up to the radio hole. When mounted here, the cord barely reaches. It was tough to plug in at the end. Making all the connections was not too bad, but I had to call walt because I had the rear entertainment harness and there was a bunch of extra rcas and adapters. Most of them just go unplugged.

Now the toughest part of install was next for me. Getting the wires all stuffed into holes and having the deck slide in smoothly and line up with holes. All I can say is be patient. It's hard because you know at this point you are so close. It can be done, just takes some serious patience.

So I had it all in, put in screws hand tight and fired it up. All good, set bose on, reset system like instructed and started playing with it. Everything looked like it was working ok, so I screwed everything back in and put trim back on.

So radio seemed ok, paired bluetooth no problems (iphone) and then tried ipod thru media link. Nothing. I then noticed the ipod icon was gray on screen. No charge while plugged in either. Uh oh. Went on to navigation. Set up time zone and put in sample route. GPS signal just searched forever and showed me in texas (I'm in norcal california). Uh oh. Went to bed and figured I would work on it today.

Woke up this morning, figured the media link pod plug got disconnected from back of unit. Remember tight stretch. Plugged in ipod again and wham worked. Cool, then unplugged and no work. Damn. Played with it some more and seems to plug in about half the time. GPS still nothing. Then I figured maybe because I'm in garage it doesnt get signal. (duh)

So hopped in and on my way to work. Pulled over and voila gps all good. Cool.

Pandora thru phone, awesome, no problems,

Now bluetooth test call. Called out, no problems, could hear the other line, but they apparently could not hear me. Nada. Then called my work phone to leave test message and nada. Answering machine could not pick up my voice.

Any suggestions here. I really don't want to have to get back in there again. I mounted mic where walt did, right above rear view, even faced it more toward driver.

Other question I have is regarding media link ipod. Does anybody else have sporadic connection issues. Also when I played music thru ipod it seems scratchy and kind of skippy. I am using the jenslink cable provided by adc.

Gps seems ok now, lots of fun features I need to figure out. Right off the bat, can I change to direction arrow icon to like a truck and can I change the voice (female). Also how to add poi beside just gas stations that are showing up.

Thanks for all your help everybody, this site has been a lifesaver.

Once again, mad props to walt and if I can just figure out the bluetooth microphone thing and ipod connection, I'm cool for now.

Kevin from sacramento

Other question I have is regarding media link ipod. Does anybody else have sporadic connection issues. Also when I played music thru ipod it seems scratchy and kind of skippy. I am using the jenslink cable provided by adc.

Gps seems ok now, lots of fun features I need to figure out. Right off the bat, can I change to direction arrow icon to like a truck and can I change the voice (female). Also how to add poi beside just gas stations that are showing up.

Kevin,

I am having the same iPod and iPhone issue with the connection and started a topic the same time you posted this.

Yes, you can change the voice on GPS, I changed to "Kate - Great Britain"

Brett

You can change the icon on the map for your vehicle but the manual said something about it may not always appear on the road when looking at the map so I left it as the default icon. There is a ton of info in the iGo manuals, take a look if you haven't yet.

Kevin,

I am having the same iPod and iPhone issue with the connection and started a topic the same time you posted this.

Brett

does she say, "Hello Governa!" when you turn the nav on? :D

i'm not having any issues with my ipod connection. have you checked to see if your on the latest firmware? setup>info and firmware should be dated 02-04-12

OK, quick update. I took the deck back out, unplugged everything, checked connections and put back in. Bluetooth problem solved. Works fine now. Same issue with media link connection. Doesnt instantly connect and charge. I did check firmware and I am up to date.

Thanks for input regarding navi questions. Changed voice, car icon and made some other changes. Would be nice if they had a tahoe icon.

So if anybody has any suggestions regarding media link let me know. Also it's not the cord, because i tried with a regular ipod cord and same issue.

The first time I tired to use my iPhone after the firmware update I had the same issue. Try plugging it in before starting the truck and it should be charging/available. After that one time I can plug it in whenever I want.

Kevin,

Brett

does she say, "Hello Governa!" when you turn the nav on? :D

i'm not having any issues with my ipod connection. have you checked to see if your on the latest firmware? setup>info and firmware should be dated 02-04-12

I feel like having tea and crumpets when the NAV speaks to me.

I have the 10/28/11 update, I will update firmware to 02/04/12 tonight. Thanks.

There is a ton of info in the iGo manuals, take a look if you haven't yet.

Where are these manuals at?

Advent hasn't updated the OGM-1 page yet to link to the iGo manual, but it is on the Chrysler page.

BTW: If you have any friends that drive RAM trucks (I know, its a stretch.. :- ), they have the same Advent unit for Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep now...

Well mine came with iGo and the manuals are for that. Of course that's of limited help to those who upgrade. Honestly most of the things I just figured out by navigating the menus one afternoon. I tried turning on all the POI icons but then the map was almost unreadable in devloped areas. :lol: So now it's the main things I care about when traveling- gas, food and hotels (note that this does not disable searching for them, just means they won't show up on the map as an icon when you drive).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. My iPhone is still not being recognized via media link. I have latest firmware, have reset system, have tried plugged in before startup, during, and after and nothing. Could it be possible something is not connected in back. I'm sure harness is in because microphone for Bluetooth working. Keep the suggestions coming fellas. Determined to get this working. Also I'm using the jlink cord if that makes any difference

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. My iPhone is still not being recognized via media link. I have latest firmware, have reset system, have tried plugged in before startup, during, and after and nothing. Could it be possible something is not connected in back. I'm sure harness is in because microphone for Bluetooth working. Keep the suggestions coming fellas. Determined to get this working. Also I'm using the jlink cord if that makes any difference

Have you tried the stock iPhone USB cable? Any luck with that?

if not, the last resort without pulling it would be to press-hold the hard reset button (it's the little hole next tot he map door on the upper right of the face).

This should take it all the way back to square one.

Thanks for suggestions Walt. I tried original iPhone cord and nothing. Then did system reset button and nothing. Just did hard reset up by map card and nothing. Except the time to configure all my other settings back. I tried my wife's phone and nothing there either. My phone charges just fine with cord in house. Not the biggest deal I guess I could just use my cigarette adapter charger but I was looking forward to be able to charge phone hidden away. Even got a Tahoe console organizer.

Thing that is weird is after not working initial night of install it worked next morning. Then hasn't worked since

OK

Thanks for suggestions Walt. I tried original iPhone cord and nothing. Then did system reset button and nothing. Just did hard reset up by map card and nothing. Except the time to configure all my other settings back. I tried my wife's phone and nothing there either. My phone charges just fine with cord in house. Not the biggest deal I guess I could just use my cigarette adapter charger but I was looking forward to be able to charge phone hidden away. Even got a Tahoe console organizer.

Thing that is weird is after not working initial night of install it worked next morning. Then hasn't worked since

OK, I assume the LAST thing you want to do is to pull the deck back out, so I have to ask if you did another firmware update. The only reason I ask is that it bit me before - I was working on a unit that had the latest firmware, but I couldn't load iGo. As a last resort, I reloaded the firmware, and all of a sudden it worked like a dream. Weird.

I know it seems redundant, but try to run the firmware update again.

If this doesn't work, you may have to pull the deck to see if you have something pinched or otherwise disconnected...

Archived