AC Power Hog?

So i just bought my truck this past November and haven't really had a chance to use my AC till the past week. I have a Ext, Cab LS with 4.8l and with the AC on it seems like a really need to get on it to make the truck get up and go. I was driving my girlfriends brand new Equinox all weekend with the 2.4l in it with the AC on and the car didn't feel any different. Dose anyone else truck feel the same way with the AC on? I know it uses some power but it shouldn't dog the truck I feel.

Any help would be great

What really kills performance is hot humid weather. Running the a/c does not seem to bother my truck (2010 ExtCab 4.8), but the weather the last couple of days sure does.

Should have gotten the 6.2L. No way you'd even feel that A/C kick on then! My 5.3 bogs down a little bit and my 98 trans am 5.7L lugs somewhat also but not enough to bother.

Don't notice it on my 4.8l, the A/C compressor should only require about a horsepower or so.

That would be dependent on size of system and the heat load that is put on said system (temperature and humidity.) In my wife's Jeep I don't notice the AC bogging down the engine but then her system takes a bit of time to "cool" down output air to the vents. In my truck, the AC isn't noticeable on cooler days (up to 80's), but once it's in the 90s there is a noticeable amount power "loss" due to AC kicking hard. However the air is "cool" coming out of the vents within a minute of starting the truck. Now once a vehicle has been "cooled" then yes it should take very little power, but in Georgia summers that's always an uphill battle.

06Sierra,

My comment was based on a commercial 1 ton ac compressor, typically requires 1 horsepower at full load. A vehicle compressor should be about the same power requirement, and while I don't have the capacity specs on the silverado ac systems, 1 ton of cooling is an awful lot.

My point is that even if it takes thee times as much power, say 3 HP, on a 300 HP engine, you should hardly notice it.

Should have gotten the 6.2L. No way you'd even feel that A/C kick on then! My 5.3 bogs down a little bit and my 98 trans am 5.7L lugs somewhat also but not enough to bother.

I wouldn't say that. Mine really bogs the truck down for some reason. To me it feels like is zaps more power than my 5.3L did...

So i just bought my truck this past November and haven't really had a chance to use my AC till the past week. I have a Ext, Cab LS with 4.8l and with the AC on it seems like a really need to get on it to make the truck get up and go. I was driving my girlfriends brand new Equinox all weekend with the 2.4l in it with the AC on and the car didn't feel any different. Dose anyone else truck feel the same way with the AC on? I know it uses some power but it shouldn't dog the truck I feel.

Any help would be great

Most 4 cyl engines cut the compressor off during heavy acceleration. I don't notice it at all with my 5.3. I did however feel it with my 6.0 when I had it but, it was only rated for 300 hp in 2001. :thumbs:

06Sierra,

My comment was based on a commercial 1 ton ac compressor, typically requires 1 horsepower at full load. A vehicle compressor should be about the same power requirement, and while I don't have the capacity specs on the silverado ac systems, 1 ton of cooling is an awful lot.

My point is that even if it takes thee times as much power, say 3 HP, on a 300 HP engine, you should hardly notice it.

True but, that 300 HP is at a certain RPM range, the 5.3 is what 5k RPM? When you are first taking off froma a stop the AC load (electrical and mechanical) is being put on an engine that is at idle, so your engine isn't going to be producing no where near 300HP. That's why it is noticeable on these engines. Also as stated some vehicles are also designed to cut out AC during heavy or WOT acceleration for the purpose of cutting the "drag" on the engine. Now once your engine's "power band", absolutely shouldn't be feeling "drag". This is exactly how my truck acts, noticeable "drag" on the engine until ~2500-3k RPM, then truck will take off like a scalded cat. Not trying to start an argument, just throwing out information.

I just think some people are more sensitive or in tune to what their vehicle is doing. If I focus on it, I can feel the AC load on the engine. If I hit an on ramp aggressively, I can feel the AC compressor disengage. It is almost like getting a spray of nitrous when the AC clutch clicks and free wheels.

I can also feel the AFM kicking on and off if I pay attention. But I can easily ignore it also.

Just because something takes 1HP to operate does not always equate to 1 HP of parastic loss. If you removed the engine from a Silverado and installed an electric motor to the transmission input shaft, it would not take a 25hp motor to turn the rear tires. Yet there is atleast 25hp parasitic loss between the enigine and rear tires.

Archived