2012 3500HD Shaking at Highway Speeds

Frame beaming is a non-issue on HD trucks.

Any tire vibration will be more pronounced on an HD and especially an HD with 20" wheels/tires.

Thanks for your input here. Do you have any idea on what could be causing the vibration? I am headed back to the dealership again so they can replace a tire that was replaced 3,000 miles ago. Its obvious to me that its not a tire problem but they want to replace it again. :banghead:

Was your dealer able to resolve the vibration issue? Please keep us posted.

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service

After 3 dealers, 5 tires and countless rebalancing of tires, my problem is not resolved. I need this fixed, but an tired of Noone having answers.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have they checked driveshaft balance, hanger bearing (if equipped), or taken wheels and tires off of another vehicle that does not have this issue? Does not need to be new, just needs to be not showing the same problem. Also not suggesting a permanent swap, just a test to rule out tire/wheel combination.

Frame beaming is a non-issue on HD trucks.

Any tire vibration will be more pronounced on an HD and especially an HD with 20" wheels/tires.

Thanks for your input here. Do you have any idea on what could be causing the vibration? I am headed back to the dealership again so they can replace a tire that was replaced 3,000 miles ago. Its obvious to me that its not a tire problem but they want to replace it again. :banghead:

Was your dealer able to resolve the vibration issue? Please keep us posted.

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service

After 3 dealers, 5 tires and countless rebalancing of tires, my problem is not resolved. I need this fixed, but an tired of Noone having answers.

I'm sorry you continue to experience this issue with your vehicle. If you would like, I can set-up a case for you regarding this issue.

If you would like me to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your preferred dealer. Please also include the 3 dealers, and cities, that you have taken the vehicle to for this issue.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service

Hi Louis

My dealership road forced balanced all 4 tires. One was out of spec so they replaced it. No reduction in the vibration.

The thing is, the dealership replaced this same tire 3000 miles ago.

They did acknowledge this is not a tire or wheel problem, but it is normal for the truck to do this due to the tougher redesigned suspension.

I did drive a new 2012 model and it also vibrated to some degree.

I have heard GM engineers are working on this problem from other GM service reps on other forums for the past year. But, that is where the communication stops. Could you PLEASE escalate this problem up the chain at GM and get us a solution? If you can't get us a solution now, then a timeline on when they will have a solution.

I purchased a new 2012 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab two months ago and have experienced the same through the seat vibration from 67-75 MPH. Tried adjusting tire pressure and rotating tires without success. I've noticed that it goes in and out of phase as I drive along a gradually curving patch of interstate. That leads me to believe that it is one or more of the rotating tire-wheel-hub assemblies.

I've already been to the dealer regarding the high pitch whine cooming from the radio - no solution. Now I will have to go back and report on this vibration as well as a rather loud plastic vibration that comes from the dash when I ride on certain rough roads.

I wonder, do any of the people in the quality control department ever do more than fill out paperwork? These types of problems should have been picked up and corrected this far into the model year production.

Hi Louis

My dealership road forced balanced all 4 tires. One was out of spec so they replaced it. No reduction in the vibration.

They did acknowledge this is not a tire or wheel problem, but it is normal for the truck to do this due to the tougher redesigned suspension.

I have heard GM engineers are working on this problem from other GM service reps on other forums for the past year. But, that is where the communication stops. Could you PLEASE escalate this problem up the chain at GM and get us a solution? If you can't get us a solution now, then a timeline on when they will have a solution.

We would be happy to assist you with this concern. Please contact us privately with your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your preferred dealer as Louis mentioned. It would also be helpful to include the names of the other dealers, and cities, that you have taken the vehicle to for this issue. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Hi Louis

We would be happy to assist you with this concern. Please contact us privately with your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your preferred dealer as Louis mentioned. It would also be helpful to include the names of the other dealers, and cities, that you have taken the vehicle to for this issue. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

PM Sent, thank you.

Hey guys same issue here! My new 2500hd bought with 1 mile on the truck has spent 13 out of the 15 days I've owned it in the shop. Wheels and tire have been replaced by GM the vibration is worse now then prior to the fix. Now it might be a new drive shaft. I'm giving the dealer till The middle of the week to have this issue reaolved before I demand a new truck. Any suggestions??

Hey guys same issue here! My new 2500hd bought with 1 mile on the truck has spent 13 out of the 15 days I've owned it in the shop. Wheels and tire have been replaced by GM the vibration is worse now then prior to the fix. Now it might be a new drive shaft. I'm giving the dealer till The middle of the week to have this issue reaolved before I demand a new truck. Any suggestions??

I've been there, done that. 3 different dealers(five tires, rebalanced 6 times, supposedly they checked drive shaft. Still no resolve for me. Stick to your guns and document everything. Please keep us posted. There is a 36 page thread on the Duramax forum about this. Most have the exact same issue and are getting no where.

Steve

That's total BS!, I didn't spend $50k on a new truck to be in the shop all the time. I expect that GM will take care of me, Hey I can always drive a blue oval not a problem.

I feel your pain. So far GM customer service has done nothing but set up a case. This just gets me an appointment at a dealer. If the dealer can't fix it, they call it normal, then the case is closed. I'm hoping if I rant enough here, Cust Service will do a little more.

Well went back to the dealer today. I was told that they need to have the truck in the shop 3 times and to follow proto call. After the third time they will fight for me to get the truck replaced. The dealer feels confident that they will get this resolved before next week. Their ensuring me that I will be taken care of one way or another.

Archived