2012 3500HD Shaking at Highway Speeds

Update: GM is sending an engineer to my dealer during the week of 8/27 to take a drive and check out my truck first hand. I will let you know how I make out. Steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just bumping the thread to keep it alive. I'm supposed to hear from GM on Monday to set up appointment this coming week to have GM engineer drive/ride in the truck firsthand. I will not be settling for any further diagnostic work, as I am confident that GM us aware of this design flaw in some of the HD trucks. If they don't come to me with a solution, it will be a new replacement truck or I'm pursuing lemon law.

Wish me luck and I will post when I have update.

Steve

I'm just bumping the thread to keep it alive. I'm supposed to hear from GM on Monday to set up appointment this coming week to have GM engineer drive/ride in the truck firsthand. I will not be settling for any further diagnostic work, as I am confident that GM us aware of this design flaw in some of the HD trucks. If they don't come to me with a solution, it will be a new replacement truck or I'm pursuing lemon law.

Wish me luck and I will post when I have update.

Steve

You might as well get your lawyer ready because if that truck can be fixed, that's what GM will do. My guess is that it rides like a 3500 series truck but I've never driven yours. If its something over that though, GM is allowed a final repair attempt to get it right.

I'm interested to see what the FSE says after he drives it.

Thanks ChevyTech77

I know my truck doesn't ride like it should. At least not between 68 and 75mph. It is my understanding that the manufacturer has up to 3 attempts to make it right. I have given them 3 documented attempts. Are you saying they are entitled to one more?

This is the third GM HD trucks I have owned since 2006.I know these trucks pretty well. At least well enough to know when something isn't right. I won't let them push me over, that's for sure.

Steve

Thanks ChevyTech77

I know my truck doesn't ride like it should. At least not between 68 and 75mph. It is my understanding that the manufacturer has up to 3 attempts to make it right. I have given them 3 documented attempts. Are you saying they are entitled to one more?

This is the third GM HD trucks I have owned since 2006.I know these trucks pretty well. At least well enough to know when something isn't right. I won't let them push me over, that's for sure.

Steve

The '11 and newer HD trucks are completely different chassis sets than the '01-'10 HD which were basically all the same. The '11 and newer HD's are pretty much a medium duty truck underneath. The ride and handling are very different between the two.

If by law, your state lists 3 repair attempts and you're not going to be happy with it no matter what they do then I wouldn't waste the time. Just start the arbitration process.

Most states will allow the manufacturer to refuse by back though until a final repair attempt has been made by the manufacturer.

The '11 and newer HD trucks are completely different chassis sets than the '01-'10 HD which were basically all the same. The '11 and newer HD's are pretty much a medium duty truck underneath. The ride and handling are very different between the two.

While "ride and handling" may be very different, a constant shaking at a certain speed (best described by myself as an out-of-round tire) isn't a ride or handling condition.

Not sure if it was posted here or where I read it, but someone indicated it was termed "frame beaming" and the way to determine this condition is to load 350#s of weight between the fender wells and see if the problem is eliminated. If its is eliminated, frame beaming is the cause. I have been experiencing a minor amount of shaking, which I attributed to tires, tire balance, shocks, etc. until I placed the first real load in the bed this past week and the shaking completely stopped...same roads, same speeds, no shaking.

Keep in mind, mine is not that bad at all (not nearly as bad as some previous posters have indicated) and almost imperceptable (barely see the passenger seat shake), and I will live with it unless they find a cure, but it is definitely there.

All I can say is the that between my fifth wheel hitch and loaded up tool box in the bed, I have at least 350 lbs between the bedrails.

Stwve

While "ride and handling" may be very different, a constant shaking at a certain speed (best described by myself as an out-of-round tire) isn't a ride or handling condition.

Not sure if it was posted here or where I read it, but someone indicated it was termed "frame beaming" and the way to determine this condition is to load 350#s of weight between the fender wells and see if the problem is eliminated. If its is eliminated, frame beaming is the cause. I have been experiencing a minor amount of shaking, which I attributed to tires, tire balance, shocks, etc. until I placed the first real load in the bed this past week and the shaking completely stopped...same roads, same speeds, no shaking.

Keep in mind, mine is not that bad at all (not nearly as bad as some previous posters have indicated) and almost imperceptable (barely see the passenger seat shake), and I will live with it unless they find a cure, but it is definitely there.

There is no such thing as frame beaming in an HD. It sounds like you finally used the truck for its purpose.

Found this on "frame beaming"... http://www.duramaxfo...n-pit3009j.html

Interesting, however my vibration is apparent starting at around 68mph and gets worse as I go faster.

Steve

What if the tech/engineer refuses to exceed the speed limit? Had that happen once. My truck tires were out of ballance from about 60 mph and when I tried to get them to road test it, he refused to break the speed limit and only drove up to 55 mph. No higher speed limits anywhere near here. Trouble was that once a month I made trip into Wis and Minn where the speed limits was 65 mph on the interstate. Btw - Refused to ride with me if I drove that fast as well. :throwup:

Found this on "frame beaming"... http://www.duramaxfo...n-pit3009j.html

Interesting, however my vibration is apparent starting at around 68mph and gets worse as I go faster.

Steve

What if the tech/engineer refuses to exceed the speed limit? Had that happen once. My truck tires were out of ballance from about 60 mph and when I tried to get them to road test it, he refused to break the speed limit and only drove up to 55 mph. No higher speed limits anywhere near here. Trouble was that once a month I made trip into Wis and Minn where the speed limits was 65 mph on the interstate. Btw - Refused to ride with me if I drove that fast as well. :throwup:

I don't had that same problem. In my case, that was just their way in saying they didn't want to deal with it. I found a different dealer with good interstate access.

So what did the GM Engineer say about your truck

I was always envy when I see 2500-3500HD:S,but the 50k price scared me,but having all these issues is shocking

kind of glad to drive a 15 year old Car right now.

Mine still vibrates even when I have two quads on top of the deck [1800 lb load]. It seems to have gotten a little better with more miles on the truck (6000 now) but still there.

There is no such thing as frame beaming in an HD. It sounds like you finally used the truck for its purpose.

Then why is it listed as a cause on a lot of the diesel forums? I guess the Duramax really isn't a HD truck then??

Archived