Cleaned my TB & it revs higher??

Well my engine light has been on for a while now, but it comes & goes. So, I think it was related to my MAF or TB? So, anyways I took time to clean the whole nine yards. I have a K&N intake on my truck.

Cleaned the filter, maf, took the throttle body completely off & cleaned it. Man, that thing was dirrrrtttyyyyy!

Once I put everything back together, I did only disconnect the negative cable from the battery. Once I fired my truck up, I noticed it was idling a little bit higher. Then, noticed when I left my driveway, it was reving right at 2K when I was driving around my valley to see a difference in my truck. After that I decided to drive on the four-lane and see how much different there was. Doing 60mph and just stomp on the gas, it pulled pretty good. The cleaning did help! But its still idling higher then it should....around 1500 to 3000 in parked. If I put the truck in Park (P) it goes high to around 2000, on its own.

If I start my truck, it idles okay, but once I hit the gas just a lil bit it revs up to 2000.....So I'm lost in this, I did follow these steps, was on another forum though. Googled this....Step by step, done the same products they used...

http://www.silverado...y-t7374-40.html

Should I've took my positive cable off too? Would that help?

Since I have a BB tune on my truck, this shouldn't be a issue with the tune? Computer wise.

Here are some pics, sorry they're not too big.

663.jpg

662.jpg

660.jpg

661.jpg

664.jpg

66.jpg

Did you happen to bump the little sensor elements when you were cleaning the MAF? Also, did you allow it to dry completely before driving? When you cleaned the air filter, when you re-oiled it, if you did, you think you might have put too much on it; been know to over oil and then the oil will get on the MAF and cause erratic rpm fluctuations. I would say go ahead and clean the MAF again and see if that fixes it, and the neg cable on the batt is fine to leave off, no need to disconnect the pos lead. Hope this helps.

Did you happen to bump the little sensor elements when you were cleaning the MAF? Also, did you allow it to dry completely before driving? When you cleaned the air filter, when you re-oiled it, if you did, you think you might ha ve put too much on it; been know to over oil and then the oil will get on the MAF and cause erratic rpm fluctuations. I would say go ahead and clean the MAF again and see if that fixes it, and the neg cable on the batt is fine to leave off, no need to disconnect the pos lead. Hope this helps.

I didn't bump the sensor, but I did spray it with MAF cleaner, I cleaned my filter, then I re-oiled it, I didn't put too much oil on it, this is the 2nd time I cleaned it & the first time it didn't make it idle higher. I might take somethings apart this evening & see if that helps.

Throw that K&N junk in the trash and put a stock filter in it problem solved, your maf sensor was dirty just think now all that dirt is in your motor too. I just dont know why people rave about K&N filters when they do nothing but let more dirt in the motor and your gains are nothing

They might be good on the race circuit where they get there hipe for high HP motors but those motors are tore down and rebuilt after every race.

Update:

I took it around the valley couple mins ago & it done a lot better than yesterday. Now it doesn't idle as high. When I drove and come to a complete stop it takes longer than normal to be idling down. But doesn't idle to 2 to 3K like it did.

I guess its getting better, maybe allowed things to dry more?

Throw that K&N junk in the trash and put a stock filter in it problem solved, your maf sensor was dirty just think now all that dirt is in your motor too. I just dont know why people rave about K&N filters when they do nothing but let more dirt in the motor and your gains are nothing

They might be good on the race circuit where they get there hipe for high HP motors but those motors are tore down and rebuilt after every race.

Well said! Thank you!!

With the 07+ they take a long time for the idle learn to relearn itself. Sounds like your vehicle was used to the dirty MAF and TB, and now it is relearning it. If you want to quicken the process, a dealer can reset your idle for you.

With the 07+ they take a long time for the idle learn to relearn itself. Sounds like your vehicle was used to the dirty MAF and TB, and now it is relearning it. If you want to quicken the process, a dealer can reset your idle for you.

Thanks Jenna, I think thats the problem its taking longer to relearn it.

Since I cleaned it, would it help my performance any or save any on fuel?

Well my truck has 143K on it & I installed the K&N air intake with about 115K.

Anyways, the idling is still pretty shitty. So I just might go to the dealer this week & get them to reset it.

You've surpassed my 02 in mileage but I doubt it's the K&N causing you issues.

Throw that K&N junk in the trash and put a stock filter in it problem solved, your maf sensor was dirty just think now all that dirt is in your motor too. I just dont know why people rave about K&N filters when they do nothing but let more dirt in the motor and your gains are nothing.

NOT true......They are the only filters we use at the dirt track and there is no dirt in the motor. You may want to do some research or have some experience with race engines before making a statement like that. If that were the case, we would not use them in our cars with $15,000-$20,00 engines at a dirt track.

Also don't have the engine torn down EVER after a race..... Only time that's done is to replace worn parts or when it blows up.

The idling is not as bad as it was Saturday, but it stills idles high when your going down the fourlane. Once you get off the accelerator it stays in between 1000 & 1500. I already need new brakes, making it worse for me to use em more.

Called the dealer today & taking it down Thursday for them to reset it.

I have to laugh when I read that K&N filters are great because a person used them for X-many years and their engine is still running. Very scientific!

If you haven't bought one yet you might want to read this : http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html.

You can draw your own conclusions, but I'm saving my money for other mods (I don't consider louder intake noise at the price of dirtier oil a useful mod.).

Archived