Volt like Silverado

At this point it wouldn't be for the cost savings, it'd be for those who want the cutting edge just like those who bought the Tesla Roadster, or on a less severe scale, the Volt. The holdback is how expensive good lithium batteries are. Once they can be made affordable, this will be an excellent option.

You also have to add the cost of electricity to charge up the Volt every night, which is getting more expensive all the time.

Nowhere near the cost of fuel. Maybe for people who live where the power grid is weak like commiefornia but I can't imagine it being an issue most places.

You also have to add the cost of electricity to charge up the Volt every night, which is getting more expensive all the time.

Nowhere near the cost of fuel. Maybe for people who live where the power grid is weak like commiefornia but I can't imagine it being an issue most places.

From the Volt website:

Q:

What is the cost of operation of the car?

A: With current average U.S. electric rates GM estimates it will cost roughly $1.50 per day to travel 35 miles. After that, considering mpg in the mid to high 30s, will depend on gasoline rates.

You do the math.

Well I pay out the rear for electricity since the AC has to run 12.5 months out of the year. Then I pay out rear for fuel because well, gas is expensive, but also because I run a V8 5 miles one way with 3 (soon to be 4) red lights and plenty of "drivers" to deal with. So my math says I'm screwed either way, however if I were to ride my bicycle....(insert laugh here), nevermind, I like, heck, LOVE my truck way too much to drive ANY car.

All I'm saying is that most people forget about the extra $45/month added to their electric bill to even use the Volt, plus the Oops I forgot to plug my car in factor of getting up at 2 AM after remembering you forgot :banghead:

All I'm saying is that most people forget about the extra $45/month added to their electric bill to even use the Volt, plus the Oops I forgot to plug my car in factor of getting up at 2 AM after remembering you forgot :banghead:

Dude $1.50 for 35 miles beats ANY gas/diesel car in terms of efficiency. Yes it's extra cost but it is cheaper than gas. A handful of cars struggle to make 40 mpg and gas is more than $3/gallon pretty much everywhere. Oh and if you don't plug in a Volt, you still have a gas powered sedan. Amazing how few people seem to realize this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and if you don't plug in a Volt, you still have a gas powered sedan. Amazing how few people seem to realize this.

...and some conveniently forget...

x2. During the storms that knocked out power back east a few weeks ago a friend who had jumped full on the idiot conservative bandwagon (note- I consider myself a conservative, just not one of the idiot ones who listens to what Glen Beck and the rest flap on about...) posted a pic of a house obviously without power saying "how to you like your Volt now?". I jumped on that because he's a decent person and I expect better/smarter than that from him. :lol:

Amazing. In the article, the writer even admits he knows this is an oddball issue and not widespread. Right from this site I could find dozens of threads from owners of new trucks who have had unfortunate/weird/rare issues with brand new vehicles. Does that mean we shouldn't buy new trucks either? Because these things happen to every automaker. You obviously have some issue against the Volt. Nobody cares.

Archived