Not good news for iPhone 5 / iOS6...

Once again Apple has shaken up the car audio world, and just as has happened in the past, it's not all for the good. The new iPhone 5 and iOS 6 upgrade for existing phones is making life difficult for those of us in car audio and based on what we know about the new phone and OS right now, you have some choices to make if you want to accomplish certain things while using your iPhone or other "i-device" in the vehicle.

What we know for certain about the iPhone 5 is that Apple no longer supports video output from the new "Lightning" connector, so don't plan on watching any video on your navi deck - it's not going to happen unless you bring your old phone with you. That's not to say that you will NEVER be able to watch video from your phone in the car, but it won't happen any time soon, and when it does, it probably won't be cheap.

So, be careful about upgrading - read up on the consequences before you do.

From Techradar.com:

The existing, 30-pin Apple dock connector, in use since 2003, allowed for multiple forms of video-out from the iPhone 4S and past generations: to HDMI, to component (RGB/stereo audio), to standard AV (yellow video, stereo audio), and wirelessly using AirPlay and an Apple TV. The iPhone 5, however, supports only the wireless video-out option. The new iPhone can use Apple's AirPlay Wi-Fi tech to stream 1080p to a third-gen Apple TV or 720p to a second-gen device. Both devices can also mirror the iPhone 5's screen wirelessly at 720p.

The Lightning connector itself doesn't feature video-out on its list of supported functions, and the descriptions for the Lightning-to-30-pin adapter and cord explicitly state that they don't support video-out. Apple could always introduce a peripheral solution down the line, but for now, it seems wireless is the only way to go, which could prove a hurdle for those used to simply plugging their iPhones in and streaming video the old-fashioned way.

If you have an existing iPhone 4/4S and are considering upgrading to iOS 6, read this:

From CE Outlook:

If you upgraded your iPhone 4/4S to the new iOS 6 you may lose Bluetooth control over your phone in many car radios. According to Alpine and 200 complaints on the Apple user forums, certain radios from VW, Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion and others have Bluetooth issues. Some will no longer work with steering wheel controls and no longer show meta data info, nor let you control your phone from the radio buttons over Bluetooth. You can still do basic streaming over Bluetooth, the problems occur when trying to control the music from the radio over Bluetooth.

Separately, those buying the iPhone 5 may have a different set of problems with their car radio involving a USB connection.

Alpine and Pioneer have issued statements on recent problems.

Alpine acknowledged on Facebook that it is receiving reports of problems that “Bluetooth meta data and control is currently not functional with iOS 6.” All Alpine single DIN head units are affected by this but not double DIN AV, AVN (navigation) or Digital Media (CD-less) receivers.

In the case of the iPhone 5, it said certain AV, AVN and Digital Media Receivers can’t play back iPhone music over a USB connection. But in that case, you can listen to music from Pandora or from your own music library on the phone via Bluetooth.

Pioneer said its AppRadios are experiencing 2 glitches working with an iPhone 4/42 updated to iOS 6:

1.) Apps cannot be successfully launched from the AppRadio screen.

2.) Pinch to zoom is disabled.

It has submitted an app to the AppStore to help clear up the issue. Its app partners are also working on updating their apps to work on the radio.

Pioneer models affected in the U.S. are the SPH-DA100, SPH-DA02, SPH-DA01, AVIC-Z140BH, AVIC-X940BT, AVH-P8400BH.

Some retailers said they have received complaints from customers while other said they have not.

Kenwood said it is evaluating compatibility with iOS 6.

Separate from the iOS6 issue, are headaches with new iPhone 5 dock connector. Scosche and other industry members say that the iPhone 5 does not support video and iPod out.

Many industry members believe an adapter will become available, in addition to the already announced Apple adapters, to support video.

Alpine statement:

“Alpine conducted a quick compatibility test with the iPhone 5 and found that certain AV, AVN and Digital Media Receiver products are not able to playback iPhone music over the USB connection. Everyone can, however, continue to listen to music from Pandora or access their iPhone’s music library wirelessly via Bluetooth® Wireless Technology.

In addition, it has been reported that Bluetooth streaming meta data and control is currently not functional with iOS 6. At the time it seems all 1-Din (including CDE-235BT) head units are effected by this, not 2-Din AV/AVN/Digital Receivers.

Alpine’s engineering teams have begun detailed evaluation and specification confirmation and we will provide updated information as soon as investigations are finalized. Compatibility with other Alpine products is being verified and will also be confirmed later.

Currently, Alpine products verified not compatible with the iPhone 5 (no iPod/iPhone playback via USB) are:

INE-S920HD, INE-Z928HD. IVE-W535HD, iDA-X305S/X305/X100/X001

We will continue to update you regarding compatibility.”

I upgraded to ios 6, and IMO, it's no better. Fortunately my phone still works with my PXDP interface. I'm a little confused as to how Lightning is so much faster than the old style, after all, it still goes though the same 4 USB pins because Apple is too lazy to use USB 3.0.

I see an increase in the use of headphone jack cables coming since they haven't managed to make them obsolete yet.

This reminds me of the ad campaign they used to have "Apple, it just works"

I can't believe they would remove YouTube and Google maps on the new iOS and new iPhone, and not to mention change the connector forcing everyone who buys the phone to have to buy an "adapter"

Meanwhile all other mobile units use the super common micro usb to usb. I can find chargers with a 12 volt adapter for about 6$

Definitely, that's why I think it's just a ruse by Apple to raise their margins a little. I mean seriously, if you do an all new "state of the art" cable, why wouldn't you integrate USB 3.0 into the computers? Like most all PC manufacturers have? If you're going to make people upgrade, at least give them some benifits. You can only get so much speed out of 2.0.

Overall, my 4S has been kind of a bust, literally. My mic hasn't been working for about a month now, I have to plug in my headphones to talk. Effectively, it's good for everything BUT a phone. Now I'm wondering if it will still work with a BT headset or my friends' radios. And people ask me why I use a Dell XPS and not a Mac.

P.S.- I know someone who got the 5... And it doesn't work! :lol:

and the new apple maps SUCK on iOS 6.. the google maps were 10000 times better.

i use the maps for work everyday and its a PITA

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I spend most of my time on the road for business and especially on college campuses the Google maps were a godsend with the building names and outlines on the map. I have a horrid sense of direction and these saved me from having to print out campus maps all the time. I already called Verizon to complain once saying the phone is pretty much useless to me now. I'm planning to go to the store and try and work a deal for an early upgrade to the Samsung GSIII. I have a normal iPod to use in the truck but the maps thing is a killer for me. But it is damn foolish that Apple won't do video out on the new connector. With my iPad I have the HDMI adapter and cable and will hook the iPad to hotel TVs to do netflix when I'm on the road.

You can do that but the interface sucks and it seems slower than the dedicated app was. It's also no longer tied into the phone so if say you emailed me your address I can no longer click on it and have it open in google maps, just the worthless apple map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW. Guess this is why I tend to be an iPhone "hater" as people I know who love it refer to me. They can make some slick and cool things but they always couple it with limits. The connector things is just so blatant - they use proprietary connections so they can patent it and charge for hardware that uses it. Maybe they are concerned with patents being up soon so they come out with a "new" version - but that is just a guess. But if I am right, they all of their other devices will soon switch.

Still love their iPod classics though. If they mess with those connection I will have to snatch up used ones off ebay before they disappear :o

Ernie

I ditched my iphone 3gs almost 3 years ago because web browsing limitations. When my wife's phone was stolen we decide to give the 4gs a try over our Samsung Galaxy S 4g, it was returned in 2 days since it was slower and highly restricted. So now we have the Galaxy S3 and couldn't be happier. The whole Apple thing is just a status symbol for some people.

Sent from the IPhone's idol the Samsung Galaxy S3.

and the new apple maps SUCK on iOS 6.. the google maps were 10000 times better.

i use the maps for work everyday and its a PITA

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I spend most of my time on the road for business and especially on college campuses the Google maps were a godsend with the building names and outlines on the map. I have a horrid sense of direction and these saved me from having to print out campus maps all the time. I already called Verizon to complain once saying the phone is pretty much useless to me now. I'm planning to go to the store and try and work a deal for an early upgrade to the Samsung GSIII. I have a normal iPod to use in the truck but the maps thing is a killer for me. But it is damn foolish that Apple won't do video out on the new connector. With my iPad I have the HDMI adapter and cable and will hook the iPad to hotel TVs to do netflix when I'm on the road.

i do the same.. and you could type in almost anything, any location, address into google maps and it would find it. i tried to find a way to go back to OS 5 but thats not possible.

im a new iphone user and loosing google maps is a killer

Just installed my ogm1 today! Yay... Anyhow the first thing I tried was the iPhone 5 cable with the USB meant for jlink cable and it works for audio. With the controls kept in tact, however no video. The Bluetooth audio streaming also works but you do lose controls of the iPhone 5.

(update) Thanks Walt, with the new update, bluetooth now controls iPhone 5 audio on OGM1!

Just installed my ogm1 today! Yay... Anyhow the first thing I tried was the iPhone 5 cable with the USB meant for jlink cable and it works for audio. With the controls kept in tact, however no video. The Bluetooth audio streaming also works but you do lose controls of the iPhone 5.

Does the Pandora app work as intended from the iPhone 5?

Here's how it works on the iPhone 4/4S:

https://vimeo.com/44712475

Download the mapQuest app, it's free. IMHO google maps sucked anyways because it didn't have turn by turn and I had to manually update which turn was coming up. Switched to the mapQuest app and never looked back. It doesn't do street view though but gets me from point a to b.

Archived