Tablets...

Chris

Any tablet owners?

I have a Motorola Xoom 10.1" tablet running Android Jellybean. I like it. I can get real time info from my truck, read, and clear DTC's with it. I use it to surf the web at night plus I use Microsoft's Smart glass app on it for my XBOX.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We picked up the samsung galaxy pad when they first came out verizon had a special and we paid $199.. And we love it..You should

see my 3 yr old play games on it. Id like to get one of the bigger ones I just cant see paying over 3-400 for one.

@matt the kindle fire is only 199 also rite?

Just picked up a Nexus 7 for my 16 yr old for Christmas. The Nexus devices are high end hardware for their class and price, but this type of technology is still in it's infancy. We're going to see these things integrated into all kinds of stuff (refrigerators, cars, etc.) Of the platforms (iOS, Android, and WinRT), Android stands the best chance of being integrated into daily stuff, simply because of the open architecture and low cost. A guy in India currently has a project to deliver millions of 7" tablets to Indian kids for ~ $20 each. They're not high end devices, but will be *huge* advancements for those kids... most of whom have never used a computer of any type.

I've played w/ all of them recently, before picking a Nexus for him. Apple stuff is the slickest, but is also the most static/controlled. Android isn't as pretty out of the box, but it's very flexible for developers to work with. The Kindle Fires are Android, with an Amazon layer on top. That shows how flexible the platform is.

If I were buying one for a younger kid or someone not comfortable with technology, I'd probably stick w/ the Fire, Fire HD, or an iPad if price doesn't matter. Amazon's interface isn't as flexible, but it's "easy". They also offer some great services for kids, like the new Amazon Freetime for kids 5 to 8. iOS kind-of still owns much of this market, so a person can get help from anyone, and Apple makes the whole experience easy (but not flexible).

Just picked up a Nexus 7 for my 16 yr old for Christmas. The Nexus devices are high end hardware for their class and price, but this type of technology is still in it's infancy. We're going to see these things integrated into all kinds of stuff (refrigerators, cars, etc.) Of the four platforms (iOS, Android, WinRT, and Palm), Android stands the best chance of being integrated into daily stuff, simply because of the open architecture. A guy in India currently has a project to deliver millions of 7" tablets to Indian kids for ~ $20 each. They're not high end devices, but will be *huge* advancements for those kids... most of whom have never used a computer of any type.

I've played w/ all of them recently, before picking a Nexus for him. Apple stuff is the slickest, but is also the most static/controlled. Android isn't as pretty out of the box, but it's very flexible for developers to work with. The Kindle Fires are Android, with an Amazon layer on top. That shows how flexible the platform is.

If I were buying one for a younger kid or someone not comfortable with technology, I'd probably stick w/ the Fire, Fire HD, or an iPad if price doesn't matter. Amazon's interface isn't as flexible, but it's "easy". They also offer some great services for kids, like the new Amazon Freetime for kids 5 to 8. iOS kind-of still owns much of this market, so a person can get help from anyone, and Apple makes the whole experience easy (but not flexible).

Considering Palm went out a business, safe bet they're not in the running :P

For the money it makes more sense to redo the little netbook I already have, considering Linux for it.

I've run iPads a lot and like the way they run, but I hate how they make everything obsolete and unusable after a year. I'd like to try I windows tablet as they'll actually let you update an old device.

Considering Palm went out a business, safe bet they're not in the running :P

Not sure why I mentioned Palm (duh)... I never even used it! Was probably thinking Blackberry, but I don't recall them having a tablet anyways. Brain glitch... :)

I liked my old palm treo 750 phone. Had Windows Mobile 6.5, full keyboard and touchscreen. Was all good until the screen broke. I loved having Outlook deal with my email. I may look into the Microsoft Surface Pro if Motorola doesn't come out with another tablet but its so expensive

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Not sure why I mentioned Palm (duh)... I never even used it! Was probably thinking Blackberry, but I don't recall them having a tablet anyways. Brain glitch... :)

BlackBerry has the Playbook tablet. They don't have the app catalog of iOS and Android, but its a pretty capable device :)

And actually, BlackBerry is already integrated into a lot of cars. BB10, their new OS is built on QNX. A platform that runs a lot automotive ent systems. Going forward they've got a good foot already in the door in the auto industry.

BlackBerry has the Playbook tablet. They don't have the app catalog of iOS and Android, but its a pretty capable device :)

And actually, BlackBerry is already integrated into a lot of cars. BB10, their new OS is built on QNX. A platform that runs a lot automotive ent systems. Going forward they've got a good foot already in the door in the auto industry.

I admit that I haven't used or even looked at Blackberry stuff. I haven't used tablets myself very much (other than playing w/ family/friend's), but will look at Surface Pro, or another Win8 variant after they've been out a while. If they maintain a light tablet, with full support for native x32/x64 applications, they're going to have a huge market. My work is heavily intertwined w/ Windows, and I really don't want to carry multiple devices around. I need a keyboard/mouse interface, so having a single device for "tablet reading" and easy docking for real work sounds great. I hope that the "tablet mode" on Pro will boot quick, and sleep w/ low power drain.

Archived