Which vehicle for snow?

f0st3r

I am from Louisiana, so I know nothing about snow and real winter driving. I would like to take the family to Colorado for a little vacation around February and flying is out of the question. I am wondering what would be the best vehicle to drive on the trip? I have a 4wd truck, wife has a FWD car. Economy is not a real concern, I just want the safest and best vehicle for the trip. I don't want to get stranded on the side of the road because of snow or other conditions. I know that on ice it doesn't matter what you have and I understand that. From what I can gather people say AWD, 4WD, FWD, RWD in that order. Is that right? Or is the 4wd not really needed and I could just drive the car?

Thanks for any help!

I think you would be alright in the car. Depending on where you are, the roads will usually be cleared and salted and sanded. When I was there last week there were plenty of 2wd and fwd vehicles.

Whatever you take, make sure the coolant is mixed for cold weather. We only had our coolant mixed for -20 or so, which wasn't thick enough for the temps where we where. Trust me, driving for an hour with no heater in temps around -30 is no fun.

I am from Louisiana, so I know nothing about snow and real winter driving. I would like to take the family to Colorado for a little vacation around February and flying is out of the question. I am wondering what would be the best vehicle to drive on the trip? I have a 4wd truck, wife has a FWD car. Economy is not a real concern, I just want the safest and best vehicle for the trip. I don't want to get stranded on the side of the road because of snow or other conditions. I know that on ice it doesn't matter what you have and I understand that. From what I can gather people say AWD, 4WD, FWD, RWD in that order. Is that right? Or is the 4wd not really needed and I could just drive the car?

Thanks for any help!

I would take the vehical that has the winter tires lol . umm if you have auto 4x4 that is basically like awd on demand when you need it . If you get into a ditch you can prob get out of it with 4x4. A longer wheel base also helps for getting back under control when you do start slipping. Most likely you can just drive the car but its nice to have the 4x4 to get you out of a ditch or up a steep hill . If you dont have winter tires tho and you run into some wet snow on the road its not going to be safe at all and expect to lose control alot.

For what it is worth I live in Michigan and have both a FWD that is my work beater and a 4x4 truck also a Yukon XL. If we get any significant snow 3-4" or more I always take the truck that day it is much longer and heavier than the Monte Carlo so it has a much more stable feel and 4x4 does help keep things going the direction you want them to go. The Yukon XL is by far the best of my vehicles in the winter weather the weight and auto 4x4 feature along with nice A/T tires make driving it a breeze in almost any condition. I have driven the Monte in snow and ice, it does fine just wiggles in the slush more and I don't like sitting so low when other trucks are sliding around

The truck I know has "all-terrain" tires on it with the M/S on the sidewall and does have the auto 4wd. I figured all of the major highways would be pretty clear minus a sudden snow storm, but not real sure. My main concern is safety, I would be bringing my 2 young children along and want to be prepared as much as possible. I would rather spend an extra $100 bucks or so in gas in the truck than drive the car and need the 4wd!

From what I can tell it really depends on the conditions and nobody knows how that will be. I really appreciate the advice!! Thanks again!

Maybe its because I've done it a hundred times. I take fwd cars up the coquilhala hwy in the winter with all seasons.

For those who do not know, the coquilhala goes through the Rockies in BC.

I havent got stuck yet. Fwd works great in the snow. If you stick to the hwy and main roads you'll be fine.

Take your SUV if your scared, but its not like its only 4wd driving around Colorado LOL

I think the shovel and strap are a good idea in ANY vehicle.

Sent from my Nokia 5190 using Tapatalk 2

A front wheel drive car has no problem in snow I drove a 96 Buick for 5 years that thing plowed through blizzards like you wouldn't believe. Just be a cautious driver.

Sent from your truck via Tapatalk

The truck I know has "all-terrain" tires on it with the M/S on the sidewall and does have the auto 4wd. My main concern is safety, I would be bringing my 2 young children along and want to be prepared as much as possible. I would rather spend an extra $100 bucks or so in gas in the truck than drive the car and need the 4wd!

Again take the truck. :thumbs:

Honestly for me it would be the 4x4 truck but like others have said a good set of rubber is key. With that said 1-3" of snow the girl's 2010 Jetta does great because of the skinny tires and AWD, it hooks up and goes. If it is over 3" then we park it, it's just so low to the ground.

For me if the truck is well maintained and ready for the trip I'd be in that without question. If you get into deeper snow or blowing snow you'll want the extra clearance.

A front wheel drive car has no problem in snow I drove a 96 Buick for 5 years that thing plowed through blizzards like you wouldn't believe. Just be a cautious driver.

Although I would recommend the truck I can only agree on the statement from Sarah.

I've never driven a better fwd car in snow than the 94 Buick Regal.

On top of Mt. Washington (Vancouver Island) my buddy and I parked the cars side by side.

While he was still trying to get his Quattro out of the snow I was almost down the hill.

so long

j-ten-ner

Although I would recommend the truck I can only agree on the statement from Sarah.

I've never driven a better fwd car in snow than the 94 Buick Regal.

On top of Mt. Washington (Vancouver Island) my buddy and I parked the cars side by side.

While he was still trying to get his Quattro out of the snow I was almost down the hill.

so long

j-ten-ner

thumbs up for mt washington

Archived