Ford MyKey

Anyone encounter this crap before? My rental car has this enabled on one of the two keys and it is super annoying- it starts beeping/chiming at 70 warning you that you are approaching the speed limited (speed limit is 70 on most Michigan highways) and if you keep going you plow into a limiter at 80, where it beeps yet again:

8001B383-A040-490A-804A-CB5D683C08D3-576

I guess the system can also limit max radio volume and prevent traction control from being turned off. Supposed to be for parents to keep kids "safer". I put safer in quotes because you don't need this fancy crap- when I was 16 I had a truck that shook violently above 70 or so, and the weatherstrips were shot so at speed you couldn't hear the radio anyhow, not that you'd want to listen since the truck came with an AM-only radio anyhow (that didn't last long, I got a bitching tape deck from the salvage yard so I could velcro a discman to the dash and use the tape adaptor :lol:).

And don't worry, I slowed down after the pic was taken and I had to do this- I mean if your dash said "approaching max speed" don't try and tell me you wouldn't try and find out what that speed was. :lol:

So what do you do where the highway speed limit is above 70. I hear 85 in Texas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

So what do you do where the highway speed limit is above 70. I hear 85 in Texas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Well it can be disabled, or never enabled in the first place. As I understand it if you were to use the family situation as an example, junior would be given the key that is programmed to have the limitations active and mom/dad gets the unrestricted key.

Did they give you 2 keys? One key is the "admin" key, the other is the "mykey". Once activated, my key can only be reset by the admin key.

Sometimes they leave a spare in the trunk, otherwise you are screwed!

Did they give you 2 keys? One key is the "admin" key, the other is the "mykey". Once activated, my key can only be reset by the admin key.

Yeah, both are on the keychain and it was just by chance after dinner I used the one with the restrictions enabled to get back to my hotel but beyond that- the drive from the rental lot to my apartment, from there to a gas station, from the gas station to the customer facility, there to the hotel and hotel to dinner were all on the admin key- by chance no less. :lol:

Well it can be disabled, or never enabled in the first place. As I understand it if you were to use the family situation as an example, junior would be given the key that is programmed to have the limitations active and mom/dad gets the unrestricted key.

I don't think people understand that if they don't trust their kids enough to "let go of the reins", maybe their kid shouldn't be "riding alone" in the first place.....

Yeah, both are on the keychain and it was just by chance after dinner I used the one with the restrictions enabled to get back to my hotel but beyond that- the drive from the rental lot to my apartment, from there to a gas station, from the gas station to the customer facility, there to the hotel and hotel to dinner were all on the admin key- by chance no less. :lol:

Great! Now the ethical dillema...leave it activated for the next poor soul or switch it off and let them drive 100mph and "jackass" that pos Ford?....hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Great! Now the ethical dillema...leave it activated for the next poor soul or switch it off and let them drive 100mph and "jackass" that pos Ford?....hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Both keys are on the ring- I figured it out, next guy can too. :lol:

yeah, Ford MyKey is pretty much like Parental Controls for a car, I read up on it when I was still in Automotive school, when I had access to Ford's Technical Service (I had access to Digital service manuals, as well as Official Ford Training Materials; and I am actually in Ford's Database in Dearborn, MI, so if I ever Hire on at a Ford dealer, I'm already in the system, no muss, no fuss, No extra work for the dealer!)

Ford MyKey can do a ton of incredible things, however limiting speed isn't what it was made for, it was made to make learner drivers more aware of what they were doing and the responsibilities of being a licensed driver. ie( Buckling seatbelt before being able to listen to the radio, limiting speeds, making radio not work at all....all made to make the driver focus on what they are doing)

I don't agree with the limiting of the speed though, what happens if an emergency happens?

Anyways they all shut off at 98 anyways from what I remember when I sold them.

I will neither confirm or deny that claim about the official cutoff. :lol:

But I know it isn't 98. :lol:

Trucks stop around there but most sedans are good for a bit more. As for the mykey thing, frankly I see it as a poor substitute for raising a kid properly. But I also don't have any so take it at face value. Haha

My truck stock would do just over 100, a friend of a friend who is a GM tech told me 103, that seems about right but of course the speedo doesn't have the markings to verify that. I found an out of service airfield last fall and asked the owner if he minded me "giving it a run" and he did not. Lots of fun but damn, 4x4/stock trucks have no business at 100 MPH. :lol:

Archived