8-speed Transmission!?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree. GM should give you a product where the tcm and ecm are not giving you such a poor driving experience that you need to go see Justin. Then if you want more you can do such on your own dime. While we do not have to jeopardize our drive train warranty just to get a truck that delivers reasonable/expected performance. Hell my 90 Sub, 350 ci, 4sp drives out better than my 09, 5.3, 6sp Sierra.

And why does GM do this? So they can claim best in class MPG. GM Not giving a dang about your driving experience. I would prefer 2nd or 3rd in the mpg race and have a better driving experience.

It would be nice if GM added an Eco / Sport Toggle switch.

I can see it now..... It would fit nicely along with the other toggle switches on the center stack.

ECO - best possible fuel economy (wife is in the truck with or you are driving Miss Daisy)

Sport - Power, responsiveness, truck mode. (Time to lay some rubber and show that import with the coffee can exhaust who is the boss)

I really thought we would see this on the K2XX generation with so many GMT900 owners complaining about how their trucks respond and getting tunes to fix it.

Has anyone heard anything else on the 8 speeds down the road?

Maybe GM will say something about the 8 speeds when the HD and SUVs are announced Sept 27th

Disagree. GM should give you a product where the tcm and ecm are not giving you such a poor driving experience that you need to go see Justin. Then if you want more you can do such on your own dime. While we do not have to jeopardize our drive train warranty just to get a truck that delivers reasonable/expected performance. Hell my 90 Sub, 350 ci, 4sp drives out better than my 09, 5.3, 6sp Sierra.

And why does GM do this? So they can claim best in class MPG. GM Not giving a dang about your driving experience. I would prefer 2nd or 3rd in the mpg race and have a better driving experience.

GM is cutting the price of Volt's with the idea of selling more of those to offset their overall cafe crap via out of control EPA. They are going to tune most everything for fuel economy.

Every automaker tunes their cars and trucks for efficiency, that won't change as they're all chasing absurd targets for MPG. At least on these trucks you have an easy workaround by driving in town using M4 or M5.

Every automaker tunes their cars and trucks for efficiency, that won't change as they're all chasing absurd targets for MPG. At least on these trucks you have an easy workaround by driving in town using M4 or M5.

How well I know. I live in the hill country and for the last 3ys have used manual 100% of off interstate driving and some, say 40%, of the interstate. Finally gave up and went to Justin. Have not used manual since and gas MPG almost the same. Even my Service mgr said a tune was the only solution. I waited tell warranty down to 7 months. STILL harsh bucking on decel around 50-35 mph. Thanks GM and EPA.

GM burnt me on my 90 sub with bad paint and I said I would never buy another GM. Well shoot. Burnt again. Will look at the 5.0 and the 6.2 (I think it has enough grunt to make up for the epa tune). Not sure what I will buy. But trust me Fords 5.0 gets close to the same MPG and drives out much better.

My only concerns with the Ford is I read plenty of stories on the F150 site I joined regarding transmission troubles when I was looking at Fords before buying my current Silverado and though I haven't seen anything, I worry about long term durability as Ford had timing chain issues on SOHC mod motors so I think having a high strung DOHC motor is asking for trouble given their history.

My only concerns with the Ford is I read plenty of stories on the F150 site I joined regarding transmission troubles when I was looking at Fords before buying my current Silverado and though I haven't seen anything, I worry about long term durability as Ford had timing chain issues on SOHC mod motors so I think having a high strung DOHC motor is asking for trouble given their history.

Anything with a DOHC setup is enough to scare me off.

All of that crap, VVT, AFM...it all scares me away.

AFM might be hit or miss but I've yet to hear anything bad about the system failure wise. And unlike AFM, it is actually useful- the torque curve is much flatter on LC9 5.3s.

AFM might be hit or miss but I've yet to hear anything bad about the system failure wise. And unlike AFM, it is actually useful- the torque curve is much flatter on LC9 5.3s.

Burning oil like its going out of style is a failure in my eyes.

The reason why I probably won't own another Truck for along time, I'm gonna stick with my deleted Duramax as long as possible. The gassers are getting emissions molested just as much as the diesels.

Burning oil like its going out of style is a failure in my eyes.

The reason why I probably won't own another Truck for along time, I'm gonna stick with my deleted Duramax as long as possible. The gassers are getting emissions molested just as much as the diesels.

I said AFM is hit or miss, not problem free. And apparently I need to say it again but I have yet to see a post complaining of VVT issues. Mine and plenty of others have zero issues. Mine is now disabled but for the first 45,000 or so miles it was active. I don't blame you for wanting to keep the truck you have but there is no way I'd ever spend money on a diesel- I have no use for it, though a tuned one would be loads of fun. :lol:

All of that crap, VVT, AFM...it all scares me away.

VVT doesn't sound like it's a bad setup. I don't have one bone in my body that cares for AFM though, but I'd take it over a DOHC only because AFM can be turned off.

Archived