LED Under Rail Bed Lighting

On a '14, there are prepunched holes under the bed rail that small clips snap into, and the mounting screws screw into them. As long as the bed liner material hasn't filled them in, you will be OK.

Thank you! Getting the liner tomorrow so I'll make sure they don't fill them in

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, I have it; but can't find the switch.

If you have the factory ones it the same switch that activates the rear cargo 3rd brake light lamp. Located in the center console switch bank.

Sent from my Nexus 5

hmm incorporate that on the harness and have it to come on when opened :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Door-Jamb-Dome-Light-Domelight-Switch-Pin-NEW-/130465113384

Make sure if you do this mod with the door jam switch that the switch is water proof. I did this on my 2013 and the switch lasted less than 2 months. Wasn't water proof.

I tied into the constant power at the trailer plug and run the wire up to the tail gate jam, drilled a hole and installed BedLEDZ and they looked great until the switch went bad. Also had to use a spacer as the switch was right at the point of on/off and wore my battery down over the weekend.

Also BedLEDZ did come loose, so there must be a better solution.

I want the lights up towards the front of the truck bed NOT at the rear.

• Like 1

I have not had any issues with the GM switch I used. There was no adjustment issues, or corrosion causing the switch to go bad. These switches were originally used in door jambs, and there was water in contact with them.

I picked up a second set of GM bed lights to install in my truck, it has factory installed bed lights but I want more!

I'll cut off the plug that goes to the module, and hardwire into my current bed lights. If someone is interested in the plug, PM me and I'll let it go for almost free plus shipping.

I have the 4 LED lights per side ordered from Amazon. I simply tapped into the brake light on each side. When I hit the unlock or lock the taillights come on and stay on for 60 secs. longer if I adjust the settings in My Link. This way there is no switch to worry about and risk of the lights draining the battery. Remove the 2 screws from the taillight and you gain quick access to he wiring. After 60 secs if I need the lights on longer I just hit the key fob again. Wiring the switch into the interior switch makes no sense since you have to go inside the truck to turn it on/off.

• Like 1

I have the 4 LED lights per side ordered from Amazon. I simply tapped into the brake light on each side. When I hit the unlock or lock the taillights come on and stay on for 60 secs. longer if I adjust the settings in My Link. This way there is no switch to worry about and risk of the lights draining the battery. Remove the 2 screws from the taillight and you gain quick access to he wiring. After 60 secs if I need the lights on longer I just hit the key fob again. Wiring the switch into the interior switch makes no sense since you have to go inside the truck to turn it on/off.

Not a bad idea. I am not sure if I will do this but it does give me another option.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wanting to install an aftermarket set of bed lights on my 14' due to the factory ones not being bright enough for my liking. However, I am wanting to be able to use the factory plug ( where it connects to the factory junction box under the bed ), Does anyone have any specs/pictures of how to do this?

For those that installed an aftermarket kit, on a 14' model, and spliced into the factory cargo light switch/wiring. How did you do so? I'm not interested in the pop switch types or the wiring into the brake lights deal.

For anyone who is looking to add some under rail lighting, or to be more specific, who already has the kit in their truck from factory and is looking to add a second kit. I just got my kit in today and noticed that the color of the LEDs on the second kit, which is a certified GM OEM part and should match exactly what is already in my truck, is slightly different. The colors are not exactly the same as shown here

yvy9yjyq.jpg

Install was a breeze though. I decided to keep these lights to see how they look at night because they aren't as bad in person as in the picture, but are still noticeable. Just wanted to give a headsup to anyone thinking about doing this mod. sazadyga.jpg

Just feed wire through the side of bed until you can get it behind the taillight housing.

a6uza3e5.jpg

I decided to cut all wires and just recrimp them together so that it splits from one to two power/ground wires to go to each light.

anagubus.jpg

From here I just crimped the appropriate wires together and then sealed with a nice tight electrical tape wrap. Checked that all were working properly and then reinstalled taillight. Then got on my phone and posted here haha.

8y9upy7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok. I read through this thread and not sure if I am missing something. My truck has the factory led lights that are turned on/off with cargo light. I don't want to add more light. I'd simply like to add an addition switch to the existing lights in the bed. The new switch would go under the rail right near the tailgate. Is this possible? I am not overly concerned about water as I have a fairly water tight cover.