I got the shakes... Ugh.

Ok I know there are threads regarding the truck shaking and whatnot but this may be different. I bought my truck 3 days ago with 3 miles on it by the time I left (test drive miles) the truck had 55. It was legit I absolutely loved it. Well this morning I picked my buddy up for work because his car died and it's about a 26 mile trip across town the truck drove great no issues (it's 11 degrees and 13" of snow out 65-70mph) on my way home when I got on the highway around 50 mph it seemed like the front end started to shake not so much steering wheel vibration/shake and the faster I went (70-75) it was dangerous..... Feels like it's coming from the front end I'm not sure what to think. My dealer already knows about it and they're getting me in to check it out this afternoon. Anything under 50 or so it's fine.. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me just help you figure this one out. It is 11 degrees out and you had 13" inches of snow. Just throwing this out there but I am guessing it was some un-removed or un-melted thin layers of snow/ice that is on the road you are driving over? Might want to drive on a perfectly clear, smooth and dry road when it is a little warmer before knowing for sure there is a shake. I am going to say it is some thin black ice that you aren't seeing that is patchy (hence the slight shake). 11 degrees out plows aren't getting everything off the road at that temp.

Boom, problem solved. Next question...

BTW 75 mph in 13" of snow sounds excessive. Especially on stock unsafe tires that some members just can't believe are put on a truck and are the most unsafe tires ever in life and is putting their life on the line (rolls eyes).

Tyler

1) Proper tire pressure; it increases/decreases ~1 psi for every 10 degree increase/decrease in ambient temperature.

2) Flat spotting of tires as a result of sitting around in one place in those temperatures (especially if underinflated).

Guessing it will turn out to be snow and or ice from the conditions you describe that accumulated on the inside of your rims...that's why you felt it later in trip. Had the same issue on other vehicles in deeper snow.

Truck was clean garage kept highways were smooth and dry. I've thought of everything you all said. I'm thinking it's a tire balance issue. The shaking was pretty persistent. More so in the seat and petals.

(There was no snow build up in the rims)

Let me just help you figure this one out. It is 11 degrees out and you had 13" inches of snow. Just throwing this out there but I am guessing it was some un-removed or un-melted thin layers of snow/ice that is on the road you are driving over? Might want to drive on a perfectly clear, smooth and dry road when it is a little warmer before knowing for sure there is a shake. I am going to say it is some thin black ice that you aren't seeing that is patchy (hence the slight shake). 11 degrees out plows aren't getting everything off the road at that temp.

Boom, problem solved. Next question...

BTW 75 mph in 13" of snow sounds excessive. Especially on stock unsafe tires that some members just can't believe are put on a truck and are the most unsafe tires ever in life and is putting their life on the line (rolls eyes).

Tyler

hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

Sounds like my truck .lol..only did it between 60-80 mph..felt in in the seats and pedals..shook my feet so bad..

Mine was 2 out of round tires..I had continental 20s...The dealer replaced all 4 tires with michilins. ..

Truck is awesome now...even today w all the snow here its a killer machine especially in 4wd..

Got 550 miles now and breaking in well...never shakes..vibrates nothing smooth as glass up to 100 mph..lol

Truck was clean garage kept highways were smooth and dry. I've thought of everything you all said. I'm thinking it's a tire balance issue. The shaking was pretty persistent. More so in the seat and petals.

(There was no snow build up in the rims)

All though its a new truck. It is not uncommon for the tires to be out of balance. Mine had the same issue and 2 of the tires were 2oz off with only 11 miles on truck. If the vibration gets worse with high speeds but not at low speeds that is one symptom of out of balance tires. It could also be as mentioned out of round tires or even in your drive train. Have your tires balanced and if the problem isn't fixed have the dealer rotate your tires. If the vibration moves with the rotation you know its in the tire or rim. If it does not move then you know its more then likely in the drive train or suspension. Good luck.

Archived