How to program master key if original is lost

Hi,

I am posting this because I had a nightmare of a time going through this myself.

I lost the one and only key that I had to my 2010 Silverado. ( I know, I am an idiot)

These are the steps to program a master key that you will need to get from your dealer or other retailer.

My local Chevy dealer told me I had to have my truck towed to them so that they could fix it. After completing a little research, I completed this on my own and saved myself probably $250 in towing fees and a major headache and other fees at the dealer. Rule of thumb, do not always trust what the dealer tells you.

IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE: 1.Put the newly cut Master key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A "Security" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes. 2. Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF" then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 3. Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF", then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 4. When the light goes off for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the key and then re-insert it into the ignition lock and start the car. All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existing key to start the car.

HOW TO PROGRAM THIS KEY IF YOU HAVE ATLEAST ONE WORKING KEY

FOR CARS WHERE YOU WANT TO JUST CREATE A SPARE KEY: 1. Place an already programmed key in the keyway. 2. Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON (RUN) to OFF. 3. Within 15 seconds, insert the new, properly cut Transponder key in the ignition. Turn the key to ON (RUN) or START. The "Security" indicator light will go on and off. Turn the key "OFF". The key will now start the car. Repeat the second step for each new key to be programmed.

• Like 3

I am aware that the dealer can with proof of ownership. He didn't mention anything in his post about having the dealer cut a key. Reading his post he didn't seem very excited about having the dealer do anything for him. There is more than one method of having a key cut. I was just interested in what he did. It might be of value to someone else in the future.

I had to go to the dealer and have them cut a key for me. They require proof of ownership. I had to give them a copy of my Registration and show them my ID.

Up here in Alaska, we have very limited choices as far as good dealerships go. And believe me, they know that. Customer service in Alaska sucks. So my thoughts are, if you can take care of it on your own, then go for it.

Thanks for the reply. By the way how is Santa doing? :lol: I thought maybe you might have some other means and was curious as to what it might be. I have had dealers cut keys. Also lock smiths. Had lock smiths come and cut keys. Have taken lock cylinder out of doors and had keys cut from the cylinder. So that was the reason I was curious. You need all the options you can get. Maybe some day you might be 500 miles from home and loose your key on a Saturday and no GM dealers are open till Monday. What do you do? All and any information is valuable. You never know when you are going to need it.

I have both keys that came with the vehicle, I wanted an extra key to have on my "spare" key chain fob.

I purchased the key @ the dealership, and they programed it for me for just the price of the key (I realize I paid a premium price for the key).

They asked for my original key, and they completed the task in less than 5 minuets.

• 1 month later...

IF NO OTHER WORKING KEY FOR THE CAR IS AVAILABLE: 1.Put the newly cut Master key into the keyway and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. A "Security" indicator light on the dashboard will stay on for 10 minutes. 2. Within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF" then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 3. Again, within 1 minute after the indicator light goes off, turn the ignition to "OFF", then return to the ON (RUN) position. The indicator light again will stay on for 10 minutes. (DO NOT REMOVE THE KEY) 4. When the light goes off for the third time, the new key is programmed into the computer and will start the car. Remove the key and then re-insert it into the ignition lock and start the car. All previously stored codes will be erased. To stop the process at any time, simply remove the key and use an existing key to start the car.

OK, here is my predicament.....

I have a 2009 Sierra... same situation as yourself.. lost the last set of keys for the truck.

I called around and realized it would cost no less than $300-400 for a new set of keys from dealership or mobile locksmith(towing to dealership included). I read online that it was possible and simple to buy a blank and program it myself. So I purchased a transponder key and fob for a total of $55 from keylessride.com.

I was following the (3 x 10) programming instructions as provided with my purchased transponder key, the first 2 steps went flawlessly. Blinking indicator went out after 10 minutes and I repeated the process again... However, on the 3rd time through the steps my battery gave out and died. Now I am stumped..... I fully charged the battery and tried the process over, however the indicator will not shut off after 10 minutes. I've contacted keylessride and they are out of ideas as well. They are telling me my vehicle is in some type of "lockout mode" and the computer needs to be reset. I have noticed the "Service Theft Deterrent System" now shows up in my DIC.

I've tried:

- taking battery cable off overnight

- taking batter cable off with fuses (4,5,12,56 - ECM fuses) for 1 hour

- taking 4,5,12,56 - ECM fuses out will key is in "on" position

I cannot figure out how restart the computer or if i'm even in the right area to fix my issue. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dbn93, somewhere on here is a way to bypass the chip key portion of the antitheft, using a resistor. Maybe you could bypass it, crank the truck to get everything to "reset" with engine running. Then unbypass it to reprogram it. If this is bad advice i apologize, its just what i would do if it were mine.(Try that is) Some folks dont want to even cut a wire on their truck, but i am not one of those, lol. Good luck with your ride though!

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...
7 minutes ago, Johndtkjnjjjn,. Smith said:

U have a 2007 Chevy 1500 just the theft light is on got new keys cut thinking the key u already had was not good tried programmingthe new ones but the light doesn'tgo out after ten minutes.  Any help would be great thanks 

Do you have 1 good key that works at the moment?