They're Scrapping 900's at work already....

They just write it off as part of the cost of business. Where I worked before I retired years ago they kept trucks 10-12 years. But the last 10 years I worked they started replacing trucks at 6-7 yrs. Said was cheaper business wise taxes and all.

64,000 miles on this one don't know the hours.... these trucks typically run 24/7 though..... mine has 77k and 9,500 hours on it.....

a used engine can't be more expensive than a write off.... Management does get bonuses on cost savings so I guess they part these out and he can claim that as parts savings

Problem is the company isn't replacing the fleet.... when the truck goes you have one less truck... hoping they free up some money this year....

Yes, as one poster already suggested, it probably has something to do with tax write offs. You can only depreciate a truck for a business for so many years. After doing all the "bean counting" they accountants probably figure it is better for the bottom line to junk them and buy new ones they can start depreciating on their taxes again.

Yes, as one poster already suggested, it probably has something to do with tax write offs. You can only depreciate a truck for a business for so many years. After doing all the "bean counting" they accountants probably figure it is better for the bottom line to junk them and buy new ones they can start depreciating on their taxes again.

Exactly

I drove fleet trucks at the DOT for years (GPS Survey Teams) and mileage had little to do with residual value. There comes a point where its not worth it to continue to spend money on repairs. I had one '94 Dodge Van that broke down so many times in service that the last time when the transmission went at 60,000 +- they did not fix it and issued me a new truck (99 Suburban K2500). They sent a wrecker to haul the truck back to the Automotive & Equipment Motor Pool so it could be sent to auction w/o repairing it once they transferred my radio to the new truck and hauled it back to me (500 miles). Reason listed for replacing it: "Frequent & Severe Maintenance Trends".

I recall one time we had a F150 that the transmission blew at over 100,000 miles. They told the shop not to fix it and were sending a new truck. But they did not immediately have another 4x4 to replace it with and eventually had to repair the F150 because our work was hindered (million $ projects on hold) without a truck (we had 6 vehicles on our team) 2 weeks later the motor went so that $3,000 paid to the Ford dealer was money down the drain. They replaced then with a new Dudge.

Yep, you combine the tax implications and cost of ownership from repairs and downtime caused by the repairs, it is just a financial decision that comes down to the bottom line.

We as private owners can baby our trucks to 200,000 miles with just regular maintenance and easy driving. Commercial vehicles are typically driven and used much harder than our grocery haulers and instead of starting to need unscheduled repairs at 100,000 miles, they start seeing them at 60 or 70,000 hard miles. A lot of times you will see a business, or a government agency auction off a bunch of vehicles. The cars are typically not real old but they have lots of miles or lots of wear and tear from hard use. The trucks get a lot of (non-owner) abuse as well. You can pick up some really good deals at these auctions if you know what to look out for. Not all the trucks and cars are driven hard or used hard. But, they are retired just due to age or mileage.

The depreciation has been written off and the maintenance costs start to rise. Most commercial trucks are traded off in 3-5 year cycles. This goes on whether it is pickups or semi trucks, though the mileage differences at the disposition time is different because these are different classes of trucks. Either way, most are not even out of main warranty yet. That is a negotiated deal usually with OEM dealers so that they still have some leverage on resale, which also gives an edge to the business in making the replacement buy. Just business.

Problem is our company put a freeze on capital spending last year so even if they approved new trucks this year we wouldn't see them until fall...... If we're not getting new trucks you'd think they would fix the old ones....This can't be productive for them... I have spent 2 hours of an 8 hour shift waiting for a ride when my truck has been down.... their sandbox I guess I just play in it.....

Any way you can get me the tow mirrors

sent from my truck in a field

Wont fit yours. I have a good right side that will fit yours

Archived