Puddle Light question

Why do they call these "puddle lights"?

The puddle light is under the mirror and illuminates the ground below the doors which would show a "puddle" better if there was one.

LOL that was a joke right?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Just picked-up a 2015 Sierra 1500 last night!

My driveway is pretty dark at night. Has anyone figured-out how to have the mirror-mounted puddle lights turn-on when you open the door/remove the key from the ignition? They only seem to turn-on when unlocking the vehicle - kind of strange.

Thank you!

Just picked-up a 2015 Sierra 1500 last night!

My driveway is pretty dark at night. Has anyone figured-out how to have the mirror-mounted puddle lights turn-on when you open the door/remove the key from the ignition? They only seem to turn-on when unlocking the vehicle - kind of strange.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/166669-puddle-lamps-and-dome-light-jumper-wire-mod/

It's not 100% ideal since the puddle lights would come on while in motion if the dome light comes on; however, it's the best we have to work with. Though you could get tricky if you wanted to and use relays to have the vehicle speed sensor prevent current from getting to the puddle lamps if in motion. But that's way more effort than it's worth.

Thanks Dunc

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/166669-puddle-lamps-and-dome-light-jumper-wire-mod/

It's not 100% ideal since the puddle lights would come on while in motion if the dome light comes on; however, it's the best we have to work with. Though you could get tricky if you wanted to and use relays to have the vehicle speed sensor prevent current from getting to the puddle lamps if in motion. But that's way more effort than it's worth.

Thanks Dunc. That's a decent option I suppose, though it is strange to have the lights not wired to the door when open. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense. They make more sense operationally when getting-out rather than getting in. I rented a 2014 2500 HD in May and I could swear the puddle lamps came on when I opened the door. No big deal I suppose, just found it strange. Will probably try the hack.

Archived